Timber stock in the rain

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Timber stock in the rain

Post by Jakotay22 » 09 Jun 2019, 11:11 pm

Been taking my little Zastava 17hmr out recently and I'm curious how you guys clean your timber stocks to avoid any swelling/weathering of the stock?

Or maybe I'm just paranoid

Thanks,

Jakotay
Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Timber stock in the rain

Post by flutch » 10 Jun 2019, 12:54 am

Mine are all pretty solidly finished, but oil is your friend
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 10 Jun 2019, 5:34 am

I’ve ordered a can of “ G96 “ spray. Apparently this is the one stop product that cleans and protects everything!
The bloke from Ozzie Reviews on YouTube swears by it.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Jun 2019, 5:36 am

G'day Jakotay22,
Zastava military rifles have for many decades been carried through rivers, spent the night in muddy puddles, been in the rain, sometimes for months on end and have not suffered any adverse effect. I don't think you need to worry too much about your rifle getting wet now and then. At the end of each wet hunt before you go home, wipe it down with a cloth moistened with either a water dispersant like WD40 or a light oil and if you have been in very heavy rain consider removing the action/barrel and drying the metalwork and stock interior with a dry cloth dampened in WD40 when you get home, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 10 Jun 2019, 12:38 pm

Old school way was Boiled linseed oil $11 @ bunnings 50/50 with turps $ 6 @ woollies Remove the action and rub all with a cloth wet with mix let dry do that about to six times water wont get to the wood .
Now days they will tell you there are better compounds to cover the wood in (https://shop.birchwoodcasey.com/product ... h-kit.html) but if you look up whats in Tru-Oil' is made from a mixture of 56% mineral paint thinners( turps), 33% oil varnish and 11% linseed or Tung oil. The exact specification of the components are, of course, a trade secret (I dont wish to add the varnish to change the colour of the timber )
Tung oil or China wood oil is a drying oil obtained by pressing the seed from the nut of the tung tree. Tung oil hardens upon exposure to air, and the resulting coating is transparent and has a deep, almost wet look.
Linseed oil, also known as flax seed oil or flax oil, is a colorless to yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripened seeds of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum). The oil is obtained by pressing, sometimes followed by solvent extraction. Linseed oil is a drying oil, meaning it can polymerize into a solid form.
So real the difference is the cost for the same cost as casey,s 10ml you can make a litre of homemade .
Its up to you
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Jakotay22 » 10 Jun 2019, 5:09 pm

Thanks for the explanation!
Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 10 Jun 2019, 6:34 pm

Good answer Pomemax
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 10 Jun 2019, 8:20 pm

For the actual cost, and convenience, Tru Oil is what I use. One small bottle is enough to refinish two or more stocks, from complete strip down back to bare timber, through to completion. Hard to beat I think.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control