Grain baits to attract pigs for shooting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Grain baits to attract pigs for shooting

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jun 2019, 2:18 pm

I’m very happy with my new hunting block. But there is a large section at the western end that is so ridiculously thick that moving through it with dogs or rifles is a nightmare ...it’s full of pigs. I don’t want to give up. I’m doing my best to work out how to get them ....at the moment I can effectively cover about two per cent of it by walking it’s vehicle tracks at night with the thermal gear and shooting any pigs that happen to be rooting up the soil on the tracks. I intend to lure them out of their home during the night. There is a big old cultivation paddock nearby. The thick bush surrounds three sides of it. I plan to use fermented corn in the middle of this clearing ...some buried and some on top of the soil ,,,, I could also use non fermented grain in an auto timed feeder like what the yanks use ... the pigs will have to cover probably 300 to 400 metres of semi open ground to get to my baits ....then I just have to sit in a chair 300 m downwind with the thermal binos and try not to fall asleep ......I have heard that in other parts of the world there is or has been laws stating you are not allowed to bait game like this. Has anyone anyone here ever heard of what the deal is in Australia?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Grain baits to attract pigs for shooting

Post by JimTom » 30 Jun 2019, 2:53 pm

A bit of a stink pile will work also mate. It’s cheaper than using timed corn feeders etc.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by flutch » 30 Jun 2019, 3:35 pm

get a big drum, a heap of apples and pears, barley, corn or maize, and a whole carton of the stinkingest and ****** beer you can and mash it all together, leave it in the sun for a few days, then go put it out where you want them to come in, also carrion helps also. Might add, getting a feeder and leaving the area alone whilst they get used to eating the attractant, it should be a threat free feed for a while so that it becomes a habitual feeding ground for them. also helps if its near water.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jun 2019, 3:45 pm

Blr243 wrote:.I have heard that in other parts of the world there is or has been laws stating you are not allowed to bait game like this. Has anyone anyone here ever heard of what the deal is in Australia?

If there are any such laws they'd be stupid ones, because those pigs are not "game", they're feral pests that carry diseases and you're doing the ecosystem and our native flora and fauna a great service by removing them. They have to be quickly and ethically dispatched ['bang flop'] but other than that all's fair.

I'll be keen to hear back how you go with this. I think JimTom's idea of a simple 'stink pile' has merit too... I've often wondered how a a scent bait might go on pigs and wild dogs... for about $2.00 a bottle of Thai fish sauce mixed with equal parts water and drenching a hessian sack or pile of old rags. The pong carries for miles on a good breeze.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jun 2019, 4:09 pm

According to information published on the NSW DPI website,using baits is actually one of a number of suggested techniques...

"Begin by providing bait material at the site. Bait types can include grain, or fermented grain, pellets, vegetables and fruit that they are already feeding on".

They're talking about it as a lure for trapping, which then leads to humane destruction of any caught. I can't see any material difference to using bait to lure them out of the dense scrub to be humanely destroyed in the open [as opposed to in a trap].

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/biosecurity/ ... ig-control
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jun 2019, 4:53 pm

Plastic drum that has a heap of holes drilled in it and corn inside it and suspended from a tree branch so that they have to hit it with their snouts works well.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by mickb » 30 Jun 2019, 5:00 pm

In rainforest its part of the fun to crawl through the most terrible stuff with dogs. However where not preferred or where they are in national park generally we use banana and fruit piles to lure them out. No laws against this in QLD.Local banana farms its not hard to get a few wheelbarrow of discarded green ones and they last quite a while rotting. Probably not useful for where you are but I second the idea of trying some fruit mash etc above
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2019, 5:58 pm

Dont some of the yanks fill a piece of pvc pipe with a heap of holes for them to roll around
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2019, 5:59 pm

Dont some of the yanks fill a piece of pvc pipe with a heap of holes for them to roll around
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jun 2019, 6:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Dont some of the yanks fill a piece of pvc pipe with a heap of holes for them to roll around

I just use a plastic drum and tie a bit of rope to the handle and hang it up so they have to work at it and can't destroy it as easy. :drinks:

Corn and Manassas is piggy heaven. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jun 2019, 6:22 pm

Jim Tom. When you say stink pile are u talking about a big pile of dead anything ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2019, 6:34 pm

What's wrong with a bait carcass ? :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jun 2019, 8:32 pm

Two ltrs corn or wheat or milo/sorgum put into pot with 2ltr water and boil off water till gluggy the grain will double in size so make sure pot is big enough buy some molasses from super market or from a farmer put boiled grain into feeder dish and pour molasses over it best I've found yet and excess boiled grain can be kept for months just keep damp and molasses keeps for years you can add rotten fruit if you so wish but the grain and molasses will do fine :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by pomemax » 30 Jun 2019, 8:58 pm

no roos on the block shoot a few half sorta gut them and drag ( any means truck) to a pile in middle of where you want em
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jun 2019, 9:15 pm

I found carcasses of any sort up cape York were fantastic for bow hunting boars at night .....draws them in like a magnet one after the other . But I have found carcasses down here a bit hit and miss. I have heard of a roo shooters fresh pile being completely devoured in one night and other times it gets completely ignored ....so I’m hoping fermented grain will be irresistible to all pigs from all the different mobs out there
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2019, 9:34 pm

Pigs are a lot like ants,,,,,,,,,,,

One day they need protein,,,, the next day they need sweet (as in fruit etc)

That's why they sometimes ignore a bait carcass.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 30 Jun 2019, 9:51 pm

Blr243 wrote:Jim Tom. When you say stink pile are u talking about a big pile of dead anything ?

Yes mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by albat » 02 Jul 2019, 2:04 am

Soaking the corn in diesel is good. brings them in real quick,
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2019, 6:41 am

albat wrote:Soaking the corn in diesel is good. brings them in real quick,

You are joking of course.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 02 Jul 2019, 6:46 am

Well if I were a betting man I would bet he is taking the pi55.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by albat » 02 Jul 2019, 5:44 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

No mate not having a lend of you, its very common practice on hog feeders in the states
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2019, 7:57 pm

albat wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

No mate not having a lend of you, its very common practice on hog feeders in the states

What's the theory behind it AB?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Jul 2019, 8:23 pm

the theory, according to Mr Google, is that it stops other wildlife from eating the bait, but pigs [hogs] aren't too picky
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 02 Jul 2019, 8:58 pm

this is a photo of what I was using here in vic filled with 10 kg of oats at a time, having some in a bucket of water sent a beer sort of smell that did attract them
some of what the others have said I have heard about as well as the diesel
another one is to make a muddy mess with some old sump oil apparently the pigs like to roll in it :unknown: I have not tried it

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2019, 12:52 am

Hi Marksman,
That's a pretty grainy pic of the oinkers considering the bait feeder doesn't look like it's too far off, and is pretty clear.
Any idea why the oinkers are so fuzzy ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 03 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm

it was raining at the time,
I contributed that the oats giving off a beer smell as well as the bucket of water soaked oats getting them to come to the bait
I recon beer slops form a bar system cleanout would be good :thumbsup:
here's one of a different night but not raining as hard

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2019, 1:03 pm

Ahaaaa,,,,, that explains it. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jul 2019, 3:38 pm

Pigs will eat anything, they aren't fussy at all, that pig I shot the other day would be pretty much devoured by now I'd imagine (must go for a drive and check it out) but all the others have been munched within days so no doubt this big ol boy would have gone the same way.

Someone was telling me the other day about a lady who fell over in her pig pens or something like that, anyway, they ate her!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control