Paid properties for hunting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Paid properties for hunting

Post by RunRabbit » 17 Jul 2019, 1:49 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that my licence will be approved in the next few weeks and I've already paid for my first .22lr and looking at a .223 and .308.
My goal is to hunt for the purposes of harvesting meat. I have a few places that I can hunt through family & friends but I was looking at some of the paid hunting blocks and wondering what have been your experiences with them?

When I google pest control, I can see that there are numerous areas where introduced pests are a huge issue for farmers yet it seems like so many hunters are struggling to find places to hunt.

Can someone fill me in on why there is a need for pest control and then a need for hunting locations and we can't seem to match this up?
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Paid properties for hunting

Post by deanp100 » 17 Jul 2019, 2:31 pm

The need for pest control is often filled by absolute d**kheads and then from that point on the pest control plays second fiddle to the need to not deal with d**kheads again. Property owners would much rather deal with the problem themselves or find a shooter themselves than have half the nearest capital city knock on their door.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jul 2019, 3:25 pm

Take a look at "Inland Hunting Properties" on the Interwebs.

I've shot a a couple of them listed on the website.
No complaints from me, friendly station owners, always something to hunt....

https://www.westernhunting.com.au/
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jul 2019, 4:30 pm

I have a few places I can go for free but I will b working extremely hard to find game at the moment. So instead I prefer to to pay for access to my best spot. It’s not ihp. It’s not advertised it’s just a private arrangement. And it’s awesome
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RunRabbit » 19 Jul 2019, 7:20 am

Looking at IPH, I was wondering why so few properties have signed up. I was reading about how much the government is spending on eliminating pests and how farmers are doing it tough so I assumed a few more might have signed up for the extra income. I guess there must be enough s**ty hunters around to scare them out of it.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by xDom » 19 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm

RunRabbit wrote:Looking at IPH, I was wondering why so few properties have signed up. I was reading about how much the government is spending on eliminating pests and how farmers are doing it tough so I assumed a few more might have signed up for the extra income. I guess there must be enough s**ty hunters around to scare them out of it.

I just came back from one of the Victorian Properties. Spent 4 nights there.
Talking to the farmer, he said that one of the groups before me left a heap of rubbish, put shotty holes in his shearing shed and more blokes turned up than what was scheduled.
I guess there are farmers that just cant be bothered with the hassle of D##k heads.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 19 Jul 2019, 8:50 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Take a look at "Inland Hunting Properties" on the Interwebs.

I've shot a a couple of them listed on the website.
No complaints from me, friendly station owners, always something to hunt....

https://www.westernhunting.com.au/

$70 or $80 per night? that's the fee on most sights. Happy for these guys to supplement their farm income and good luck to them in difficult conditions on the land ... but not for me
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jul 2019, 10:21 pm

xDom wrote:
RunRabbit wrote:Looking at IPH, I was wondering why so few properties have signed up. I was reading about how much the government is spending on eliminating pests and how farmers are doing it tough so I assumed a few more might have signed up for the extra income. I guess there must be enough s**ty hunters around to scare them out of it.

I just came back from one of the Victorian Properties. Spent 4 nights there.
Talking to the farmer, he said that one of the groups before me left a heap of rubbish, put shotty holes in his shearing shed and more blokes turned up than what was scheduled.
I guess there are farmers that just cant be bothered with the hassle of D##k heads.

The first property I visited south of Bourke had a regular camp site that the property owner took us to, it looked like a siht tip when we got there, broken chairs, old torn tents, cans bottles broken glass, toilet paper, baby wipes, food wrappers and so on.

My mate that organized the trip looked instantly depressed... I felt bad just looking at him :(

We set to work cleaning the site, by picking up all the broken glass, and burning what we could.

We left that joint way better than we found it.

What's wrong with people... where's the respect?

They should be teaching kids in school about respect for the Bush and other people's property.

Leave nothing but footprints, take out what you took in,.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jul 2019, 8:11 am

Once bitten twice shy the old saying... probably weeny farmers don't bother.... if it wasn't for you guys, he probably would have just not bothered anymore 80bucks don't cover shed repair or a couple hours of litter removal
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jul 2019, 8:49 am

"The first property I visited south of Bourke had a regular camp site that the property owner took us to, it looked like a siht tip when we got there, broken chairs, old torn tents, cans bottles broken glass, toilet paper, baby wipes, food wrappers and so on."

Just Pigs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jul 2019, 12:13 pm

We're you shooting pigs...or we're the previous shooters pigs

Hahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jul 2019, 6:16 pm

I hate rubbish. In the bush or in the city leaving rubbish anywhere is as dirty as being a junkie
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jul 2019, 10:03 pm

Ziad wrote:We're you shooting pigs...or we're the previous shooters pigs

Hahaha

Both apparently
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 23 Jul 2019, 8:53 pm

I’ve been on a lot of the IHP in western Qld, they’ve always been tidy and well looked after, their is a lot of hunting pressure on them, but I’ve always had a good time and managed to get a lot of ferals,I’ve noticed, whilst speaking with the farmers a lot of hunters don’t leave the road or just ride their bikes around.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 23 Jul 2019, 10:49 pm

becouse of the stuff like this in some of the better areas the farmers lease the hunting rights to groups of hunters and the leases can state a lot of things like how many deer must be killed and makeing sure trash gets taken out and dealing with trespassing and poaching.
i was in on a lease for years largest issue was trespassing and poaching guys wound brind lawn chairs and leave them and they would be in the corn when the farmer
was harvesting and get cought in the combine or they would nail wood tree stands up in his trees.
most the time our lease would cover his taxes and a little more he passed away a few years back and his kids sold the land there are houses there now.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control