A cold and windy day on the ferals.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

A cold and windy day on the ferals.

Post by Elmer » 21 Jul 2019, 5:51 pm

Headed out last Saturday to a spot that I have not been to for six months,situated on top of a hill over looking two warrens at around 250yds away.
The day was cold and windy with a full on head wind of around 32kph making wind direction reading tricky, luckily it was a clear sunny day which no doubt lured them out of their holes.
Most of the Bunnies cooperated offering nice side on shots, I stuck to chest shots as head shooting in that wind was too risky, even though Youtube arm chair experts would disagree an tell me that they could shoot each whisker off at those ranges and in those conditions.....wankers lol.
Anyway, seven Bunnies went to heaven plus a bonus feral cat that thought it would be a good idea to lay in a burrow sunning itself only 250yds...silly pussy.
The cat was larger than average with a very full gut, no doubt she was dining on dead newborn lambs as well as after birth, or even pregnant.
Well I hope you guys enjoy the vid, and sorry about the the slightly fuzzy images (the camera got a beating) and severe wind noise , even when the property owner stopped by for a chat, (this blokes been a farmer for 40 years) he could only stand being out there for half an hour, bloody cold...him and me must be getting old lol.
atb
Sean.
https://youtu.be/GY2KUBkNKh8
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: A cold and windy day on the ferals.

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Jul 2019, 6:07 pm

Good going Elmer good stuff
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 21 Jul 2019, 6:34 pm

Good stuff...

The cats eyes look a little...well..."poppy"...lol...You hit him in the head from same spot...?

And who cares about armchair experts for anything other than the entertainment value.....early Jan i was out in 15-25mph winds trying to knock them...admittadely i only had the 204 shooting 32grnr's & thought id try my luck starting at 150 yds with half value 15mph wind...and... :unknown: ...not a hope in hell... :lol:
So i thought id get closer, well i had to get within 80 yds of them in a 20mph headwind & that was still a gamble--out of 5 shots i hit 3 & only one was a head shot... :roll: ...motto...leave 204's at home when its windy...

Ive even tried 22-250 in up to 10mph out at 250 yds & struggle picking that... :unknown: ...so what youre doing is pretty flash i rekon. :thumbsup:

One day ill get on this drop chart ballistics bizo & challenge myself with 22-250...but until then ill just pretend im shooting in your vids... :lol:

Good stuff... :thumbsup:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JSS » 21 Jul 2019, 7:01 pm

Nice shooting Elmer :thumbsup:

Ignore the armchair crowd. You know what they say about experts..... EX is something past it's prime, and a SPURT is a drip under pressure. :lol:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 22 Jul 2019, 10:40 am

Nice shot on that cat. How cold is cold by South Australian standards?
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by marksman » 22 Jul 2019, 1:28 pm

JSS wrote:Nice shooting Elmer :thumbsup:

Ignore the armchair crowd. You know what they say about experts..... EX is something past it's prime, and a SPURT is a drip under pressure. :lol:

+1 :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2019, 9:12 pm

Stix wrote:Good stuff...

The cats eyes look a little...well..."poppy"...lol...You hit him in the head from same spot...?

And who cares about armchair experts for anything other than the entertainment value.....early Jan i was out in 15-25mph winds trying to knock them...admittadely i only had the 204 shooting 32grnr's & thought id try my luck starting at 150 yds with half value 15mph wind...and... :unknown: ...not a hope in hell... :lol:
So i thought id get closer, well i had to get within 80 yds of them in a 20mph headwind & that was still a gamble--out of 5 shots i hit 3 & only one was a head shot... :roll: ...motto...leave 204's at home when its windy...

Ive even tried 22-250 in up to 10mph out at 250 yds & struggle picking that... :unknown: ...so what youre doing is pretty flash i rekon. :thumbsup:

One day ill get on this drop chart ballistics bizo & challenge myself with 22-250...but until then ill just pretend im shooting in your vids... :lol:

Thanks stix, no mate was aiming at his chest and yup from the same spot.
You need more practice in windy conditions mate lol , I have never shot a 204 but being so light I reckon (as you proved) they would get blown around a bit...probably a bit like the hmr.
If you want to start long range I can send you a copy of my ballistics charts for the .223 and 22-250.
Even though they are for my rifles ( with 24" barrels) they should get you landing bullets on target out to say 300.
Cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2019, 9:13 pm

:lol: :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2019, 9:16 pm

wanneroo wrote:Nice shot on that cat. How cold is cold by South Australian standards?

Thanks mate, probably around 10c, but when its windy that's when you really feel it.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2019, 9:18 pm

marksman wrote:

+1 :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jul 2019, 12:12 am

Hiya Sean,
Judging by the sizes of your bunnies I've come to the conclusion that you are feeding em oats and molasses for a couple weeks before you start feeding em the special lead diet,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way,,,,, what is that funny green stuff that seems to cover your paddocks ??? :unknown:
:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 24 Jul 2019, 2:56 pm

Lol, yeah they were pretty big and made a nice popping sound when hit.
Dunno what that green s**t was, I remember seeing the same stuff about 3 years ago. :lol: :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 24 Jul 2019, 6:41 pm

Elmer wrote:

You need more practice in windy conditions mate lol , I have never shot a 204 but being so light I reckon (as you proved) they would get blown around a bit...probably a bit like the hmr.
If you want to start long range I can send you a copy of my ballistics charts for the .223 and 22-250.
Even though they are for my rifles ( with 24" barrels) they should get you landing bullets on target out to say 300.
Cheers.

Yes i need more practice in the wind...just a bit...lol.
Although the example i gave was a doozy with bunnies by edge of mallee scrub & headwind hurtling over a rise & through fence & edge of scrub so it was very upsy downsy & chopping about every direction where the bunnies were--i didnt realise this until i went out to pick em up--the wind was pretty consistant out in paddock where i was shootn from.

But that zippy little 32 gn bullet seems to dance around a lot...even just going up to the 40 seems to make a difference in predictability for me with the 20 cal.
And i seem to be able to judge up to 15mph out to 200 off my cheek & the grass with 22-250, but much beyond that my stiff wind reading skills fall away to a guessing gamble so i tend to shy away...ive just not really done any shooting in that kind of wind...
...so...
Yes id be grateful for the charts for sure... :D
Ive got a new scope for the 250 so hopefully that along with charts will boost my knowledge & hit rate...(when i can get out there) :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need email address to send info & ill pm it over...

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2019, 9:29 am

Elmer wrote:Lol, yeah they were pretty big and made a nice popping sound when hit.
Dunno what that green s**t was, I remember seeing the same stuff about 3 years ago. :lol: :thumbsup:

I'll swap you places Mate,,,,,, it's now been 8 years since the drought started up here so the locals tell me. (I've only been here 6 years)
But in the last 2 years it's now desperate.
I'm selling our cattle this coming week, as we've been buying hay, and just can't afford to keep putting off the inevitable.

F#*k the drought. Will someone please do a rain dance. :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 25 Jul 2019, 11:03 pm

die i am sorry to read about your drought we have had to much farmers didnt get there crops in and hay has been to wet lots of famers are selling off there stock here
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Elmer » 28 Jul 2019, 4:41 pm

Stix wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Cheers.

Although the example i gave was a doozy with bunnies by edge of mallee scrub & headwind hurtling over a rise & through fence & edge of scrub so it was very upsy downsy & chopping about every direction where the bunnies were--i didnt realise this until i went out to pick em up--the wind was pretty consistant out in paddock where i was shootn from.

But that zippy little 32 gn bullet seems to dance around a lot...even just going up to the 40 seems to make a difference in predictability for me with the 20 cal.
And i seem to be able to judge up to 15mph out to 200 off my cheek & the grass with 22-250, but much beyond that my stiff wind reading skills fall away to a guessing gamble so i tend to shy away...ive just not really done any shooting in that kind of wind...
...so...
Ive got a new scope for the 250 so hopefully that along with charts will boost my knowledge & hit rate...(when i can get out there) :thumbsup:

Hi stix
yes mate, if you send me your PM address I will send you a copy.
Ihave just uploaded another vid on youtube using the 22250 whacking bunnies from 300 to 415yds.
If you are serious about long range you will need an anemometer and range finder.. those with the charts (in your rifle) should get you on target out to at least 300.
But remember, the charts are written up for my rifle with a 24inch barrel...also they are hand written, I'm a bit old fashioned that way.
Cheers
Sean
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 28 Jul 2019, 6:17 pm

Elmer wrote:
Stix wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Cheers.

...so...

Hi stix
yes mate, if you send me your PM address I will send you a copy.
Ihave just uploaded another vid on youtube using the 22250 whacking bunnies from 300 to 415yds.
If you are serious about long range you will need an anemometer and range finder.. those with the charts (in your rifle) should get you on target out to at least 300.
But remember, the charts are written up for my rifle with a 24inch barrel...also they are hand written, I'm a bit old fashioned that way.
Cheers
Sean

No worries ill pm you an email address a bit later...
Ive had a range finder & an... ... anema...an anomona...err...enamama....amonam...aaaeeerrr--wind meter for years...
Carried the wind meter around farms & paddocks for a good year or more day & night so i could put a number to what i was feeling on my face...(just the cheap caldwell one).
Since doing that years ago i got pretty good at picking general wind speed...
And id miss lotsa bunnies without the rangefinder...

So all i need is time, accurate loads & more free money...!!...& a stand for the wind meter... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control