Hunt report/ my trip away

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Hunt report/ my trip away

Post by Blr243 » 27 Jul 2019, 8:38 pm

I bought some Telstra data so can post during the hunt. It feels amazing to have no customers no deadlines and no traffic. I feel wild and free Just me and the dog and the black soil plains. I had a very lazy start and took my time casually setting up camp .....after dark I was havueing a wander along a track. Got onto a mob of about 15 pigs but they scattered before I could do anything. Then as I turned around and headed back towards the quad I spooked a boar that was in a bad downwind position so no luck there either. It’s not near as cold out here as I expected. Now that I have had a feed and a bludge I gotta drag myself out of the swag and head out into the paddocks with the thermal and see if I can get onto something . Prepare yourselves for a week of my rambling and pig pics and hopefully I can get a few foxes too
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: Hunt report/ my trip away

Post by Stix » 27 Jul 2019, 9:46 pm

Its a dynamite night here in SA to be out but im stuck at home...so make sure you keep up with the pics...!!!
No excuses...!!...if you have data & a phone...you have pics to post... :thumbsup:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 27 Jul 2019, 9:48 pm

waiting,,waiting,,hurry up ,,,pics with words,,words with pics,,,,,hurry :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by flutch » 27 Jul 2019, 10:04 pm

pics or it didnt happen
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2019, 9:15 am

O my god u lot are impatient. My late night hunt was just a big piece of physical excercise. Slack start this morning. Forced myself out of the swag. Wandering along one of my favourite trails ( just breaking daylight ). Not much going on but diesel started looking to the left with his nose in the air. I felt like I should trust his judgement so I peeled of to the left and started working my way throug the bush. Less than 100 m from our track his body language was getting real serious so I knew I should stop , get down on one knee to see better under the trees and scan withe the thermal binos. I was immediately rewarded with a white blob camped at the base of a tree. I worked my way fwd a few paces to get a tree rest. Crouched and shot the boar at approximately 30 metres Thank you diesel for finding me an ok boar
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2019, 10:05 am

I just spent more time trying to upload the photo than I did walking trying to find the boar. So it will have to wait till later or I get home or whatever
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2019, 11:33 am

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 28 Jul 2019, 11:33 am

What breed is Diesel...?
May as well upload a pic of him too...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2019, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the help old bloke. I think I will have to try resizing pics somehow ....d was sold to me as a bull mastiff cross bandog but I had him DNA tested Results....Staffordshire bull terrier/ American staff , /boxer /bulldog and border collie. He gets his brains from the border collie part. But he does to appear to be much border collie
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2019, 12:53 pm

Morning boar
Attachments
2BEB92B4-58CC-42A0-9848-91A09C205B97.jpeg
Morning boar
2BEB92B4-58CC-42A0-9848-91A09C205B97.jpeg (921.53 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2019, 12:56 pm

I ended up useing an iPad to take a photo of my phone screen and then I haphazardly stabbed away at ten thousand different processes and apps I’ll get it sorted
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2019, 1:13 pm

Easyest way to make the pic smaller is to message (SMS) it to yourself. Once you recieve the pic save it to the mobile & then post it. The process of messaging it zips the size down.

Another way is to view the pic on the mobile and take a snap shot of the screen. Then post the snap shot.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2019, 1:16 pm

BTW. Nice boar. :mrgreen:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2019, 7:59 pm

Thanks old bloke Just Had a bit of a dull evening walk. Saw a stack of Roos on the wheat. Some hares. Saw a fast trotting pig in the thick but no luck. I’m heading out into the cold again about 9 pm Hope fully I will get on and have something to practice my new pic posting skills
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Jul 2019, 4:52 am

Love ya work blr. And ya dog looks very fashionable :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Jul 2019, 8:33 am

looks like the fun has only just begun, nice pig :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2019, 9:00 am

Good size pig mate and what size choppers did he have ? the old dog looks content with the event :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jul 2019, 10:12 am

Tusks 1 1/2 inches out probably I looked quickly but knew it wasn’t worth the effort to clean up and prop for a photo I much more aware as I am older of handling blood and catching some sort of Bruce or lepto. I know a bloke who nearly died from lepto .... a funny thing happened in one of the photos I bumped the wrong button on my phone it took a short 1/2 second video as my dog moved his head to one side. But it keeps playing the video repeatly....so what I have looks like diesel is shaking his head back and forth as if he disapproves,,,,, it’s hilarious
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jul 2019, 10:18 am

Did a 130 am hunt but just spooked a mob in the reeds Saw a fox. Had a sleep in Had a good long walk for a morning hunt but only saw a boar a long way of / the same fox again in the same spot and I walked upon a half grown tabby cat that was sunning himself but he made it to the reeds before I could get the rifle of the shoulder. I m planning a big lazy day of rest so hopefully I can put in a big night tonight and get some bullets out of my magazine
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2019, 10:29 am

Yeah well good luck mate here's hoping
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 29 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm

Blr243 wrote:Did a 130 am hunt but just spooked a mob in the reeds Saw a fox. Had a sleep in Had a good long walk for a morning hunt but only saw a boar a long way of / the same fox again in the same spot and I walked upon a half grown tabby cat that was sunning himself but he made it to the reeds before I could get the rifle of the shoulder. I m planning a big lazy day of rest so hopefully I can put in a big night tonight and get some bullets out of my magazine

Those bloody cats go to ground and cover soon as they see ya hey . I’ve had the same experience with feral cats
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 29 Jul 2019, 9:21 pm

Nice work Russell glad to hear your having plenty of things to chase
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 29 Jul 2019, 10:22 pm

they have to be lucky all the time,you only have to be lucky once,,you will score some more soon and if you don't its still a good time :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2019, 12:40 am

The property owner called in for a yarn this morning and said jump in my Ute. Too me to another 1100 acre bush block owned by his mate. Sposed to be a good number of big ol lone boars up there because it’s a place that is not hunted and no one lives there either. So the pigs can just relax...little water on the plane too so the main cattle trough is the place to sit and wait in the arvo ... I did that this arv no luck. Then did a long walk across the paddock in the dark and had to use my gps on the way back to ensure I was on the right bearing. No luck again during that work so I think tomorrow I will do a recon on the quad during daylight hours. That should give me better info and I’ll b in a better position to plan how to hunt the joint .....I don’t like to give up just because of a poor start. It’s worth a little extra time I think to explore the potential
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2019, 12:44 am

I have the alarm set for 3 am .. sometimes I struggle to respond to am alarm when I know it’s real cold outside but that won’t be a problem if this dog doesn’t stop farting in my swag
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Jul 2019, 4:31 am

Blr243 wrote:I have the alarm set for 3 am .. sometimes I struggle to respond to am alarm when I know it’s real cold outside but that won’t be a problem if this dog doesn’t stop farting in my swag

:lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 30 Jul 2019, 9:29 am

Doesn’t sound like you’re having much luck mate. Nevertheless, it’s great just to be put and about in the scrub with not a worry in the world, and it sure beats the sh1t out of working eh. Hope you get a couple mate.
:drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by xDom » 30 Jul 2019, 8:59 pm

Keep the updates coming BLR., it’s like a virtual trip when I’m stuck in my $hithouse job..
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2019, 11:42 pm

I dedicate this post to poor Xdom. So I’m having a yarn to the owner. He asks how I’m goin and I say I’m havin a bit of trouble getting onto em He said ya know there’s plenty of tracks and sign and I often see them in a certain paddock early in the morning... that Paddo is right next to another paddock that I have started baiting with corn so I thought. I was going to park up next to the corn paddock one night and just camp there and keep an eye on it. So I could actually scan both my corn paddock and the one he mentioned. Firstly saw Roos and fox and then the thermal binos saw the tiniest thing ever. ( in the freshly sown wheat ) I thought that’s got to be a mouse hoping about madly oblivious to the fact that I was watching him. He was close enough for a bit of fun so I wandered over and he froze With the left hand holding the binos I reached down with my right and with a finger I patted him on the back for 3 seconds before he cracked the s**ts and kept into the air and then took off with his little heart beating I reckon he’s probably half way to Cunnamulla by now. For a good half
F hour all I could see in the owners recommended paddock was a stack of cattle. But the cattle seemed to be moving more than they should / sometimes erratically. But they were just way too big to b pigs. After 3/4 of an hour the curiously got the bettter of me and I just had to go and find out for sure. I drove the Ute slowly over there with just the parkers on and next thing I know the cows with long pointed snouts were in full dash across the paddock and headed for the safety of the scrub. I cut the engine and grabbed my stuff and took off to try cut them off but it was a bloody long way round I had to go and they beat me to it. But another mob of stragglers were still on there way out and I got in front of them and took a small boar. There was another couple as well of to my right but I could not get them. Closer inspection revealed there was still a couple of l Ionev boars out on the cultivation As I was heading over to them I scanned and found another mob of twenty heady my way and they were closer so I honed in on them but they were already nervous and gave me the slip. I moved in on one boar and took him (smaller than the photo boar ). I can’t type it all I really can’t remember how many pigs or mobs I saw it was great fun after haveing a few tough days. I returned to my shack to grab some more ammo. Showered and charge batteries on all my equipment......a quick drink and I will b on the quad this time. It will b cold but quieter. I can scan with no windscreen and I can move forward safely with my special purpose built red light on the front of my quad. At least now I don’t have to worry about where I will choose to hunt each night. So I’m off to do it again now and then again at about 330 am. Can’t believe I only shot two pigs with all that. 1 out of ten I score for hunting skill but I think I deserve 10/10 for honesty.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 31 Jul 2019, 4:44 am

Some hunting stories are like fishing stories. Their always much bigger in the story and there’s always the one that got away :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control