Hunt report/ my trip away

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt report/ my trip away

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jul 2019, 10:18 am

Did a 130 am hunt but just spooked a mob in the reeds Saw a fox. Had a sleep in Had a good long walk for a morning hunt but only saw a boar a long way of / the same fox again in the same spot and I walked upon a half grown tabby cat that was sunning himself but he made it to the reeds before I could get the rifle of the shoulder. I m planning a big lazy day of rest so hopefully I can put in a big night tonight and get some bullets out of my magazine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2019, 10:29 am

Yeah well good luck mate here's hoping
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 29 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm

Blr243 wrote:Did a 130 am hunt but just spooked a mob in the reeds Saw a fox. Had a sleep in Had a good long walk for a morning hunt but only saw a boar a long way of / the same fox again in the same spot and I walked upon a half grown tabby cat that was sunning himself but he made it to the reeds before I could get the rifle of the shoulder. I m planning a big lazy day of rest so hopefully I can put in a big night tonight and get some bullets out of my magazine

Those bloody cats go to ground and cover soon as they see ya hey . I’ve had the same experience with feral cats
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 29 Jul 2019, 9:21 pm

Nice work Russell glad to hear your having plenty of things to chase
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 29 Jul 2019, 10:22 pm

they have to be lucky all the time,you only have to be lucky once,,you will score some more soon and if you don't its still a good time :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2019, 12:40 am

The property owner called in for a yarn this morning and said jump in my Ute. Too me to another 1100 acre bush block owned by his mate. Sposed to be a good number of big ol lone boars up there because it’s a place that is not hunted and no one lives there either. So the pigs can just relax...little water on the plane too so the main cattle trough is the place to sit and wait in the arvo ... I did that this arv no luck. Then did a long walk across the paddock in the dark and had to use my gps on the way back to ensure I was on the right bearing. No luck again during that work so I think tomorrow I will do a recon on the quad during daylight hours. That should give me better info and I’ll b in a better position to plan how to hunt the joint .....I don’t like to give up just because of a poor start. It’s worth a little extra time I think to explore the potential
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2019, 12:44 am

I have the alarm set for 3 am .. sometimes I struggle to respond to am alarm when I know it’s real cold outside but that won’t be a problem if this dog doesn’t stop farting in my swag
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Jul 2019, 4:31 am

Blr243 wrote:I have the alarm set for 3 am .. sometimes I struggle to respond to am alarm when I know it’s real cold outside but that won’t be a problem if this dog doesn’t stop farting in my swag

:lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 30 Jul 2019, 9:29 am

Doesn’t sound like you’re having much luck mate. Nevertheless, it’s great just to be put and about in the scrub with not a worry in the world, and it sure beats the sh1t out of working eh. Hope you get a couple mate.
:drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by xDom » 30 Jul 2019, 8:59 pm

Keep the updates coming BLR., it’s like a virtual trip when I’m stuck in my $hithouse job..
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2019, 11:42 pm

I dedicate this post to poor Xdom. So I’m having a yarn to the owner. He asks how I’m goin and I say I’m havin a bit of trouble getting onto em He said ya know there’s plenty of tracks and sign and I often see them in a certain paddock early in the morning... that Paddo is right next to another paddock that I have started baiting with corn so I thought. I was going to park up next to the corn paddock one night and just camp there and keep an eye on it. So I could actually scan both my corn paddock and the one he mentioned. Firstly saw Roos and fox and then the thermal binos saw the tiniest thing ever. ( in the freshly sown wheat ) I thought that’s got to be a mouse hoping about madly oblivious to the fact that I was watching him. He was close enough for a bit of fun so I wandered over and he froze With the left hand holding the binos I reached down with my right and with a finger I patted him on the back for 3 seconds before he cracked the s**ts and kept into the air and then took off with his little heart beating I reckon he’s probably half way to Cunnamulla by now. For a good half
F hour all I could see in the owners recommended paddock was a stack of cattle. But the cattle seemed to be moving more than they should / sometimes erratically. But they were just way too big to b pigs. After 3/4 of an hour the curiously got the bettter of me and I just had to go and find out for sure. I drove the Ute slowly over there with just the parkers on and next thing I know the cows with long pointed snouts were in full dash across the paddock and headed for the safety of the scrub. I cut the engine and grabbed my stuff and took off to try cut them off but it was a bloody long way round I had to go and they beat me to it. But another mob of stragglers were still on there way out and I got in front of them and took a small boar. There was another couple as well of to my right but I could not get them. Closer inspection revealed there was still a couple of l Ionev boars out on the cultivation As I was heading over to them I scanned and found another mob of twenty heady my way and they were closer so I honed in on them but they were already nervous and gave me the slip. I moved in on one boar and took him (smaller than the photo boar ). I can’t type it all I really can’t remember how many pigs or mobs I saw it was great fun after haveing a few tough days. I returned to my shack to grab some more ammo. Showered and charge batteries on all my equipment......a quick drink and I will b on the quad this time. It will b cold but quieter. I can scan with no windscreen and I can move forward safely with my special purpose built red light on the front of my quad. At least now I don’t have to worry about where I will choose to hunt each night. So I’m off to do it again now and then again at about 330 am. Can’t believe I only shot two pigs with all that. 1 out of ten I score for hunting skill but I think I deserve 10/10 for honesty.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 31 Jul 2019, 4:44 am

Some hunting stories are like fishing stories. Their always much bigger in the story and there’s always the one that got away :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jul 2019, 8:44 am

I had high hopes that the pigs would return but when I got back on the scene I think it might have been 2 am all was dead quiet and not a pig to be seen. So I camped on the bare hard ground for a bit but could not sleep and i ended up driving back to the house in the extreme cold Then slept in till 830 am. I’ll try not to venture into the bush at all today. Just rest up and prepare for another go tonight
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by xDom » 31 Jul 2019, 6:42 pm

Blr243 wrote:O my god u lot are impatient. My late night hunt was just a big piece of physical excercise. Slack start this morning. Forced myself out of the swag. Wandering along one of my favourite trails ( just breaking daylight ). Not much going on but diesel started looking to the left with his nose in the air. I felt like I should trust his judgement so I peeled of to the left and started working my way throug the bush. Less than 100 m from our track his body language was getting real serious so I knew I should stop , get down on one knee to see better under the trees and scan withe the thermal binos. I was immediately rewarded with a white blob camped at the base of a tree. I worked my way fwd a few paces to get a tree rest. Crouched and shot the boar at approximately 30 metres Thank you diesel for finding me an ok boar

So do you find the White Hot mode the best on your Thermal?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jul 2019, 6:59 pm

xDom wrote:
So do you find the White Hot mode the best on your Thermal?

That's a good question, I can't speak for BLR, but I have mixed preferences.
I prefer White hot when actually taking a shot,,,,, but if I'm watching something beforehand I quite often switch to Black hot for a differing view.
I don't know what it is in particular, but sometimes the animal in question and its outline seems clearer in Black hot.

But if scanning, and looking for animals initially I always use White hot.

Each to his own I guess.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jul 2019, 9:38 pm

Yes I use white hot I just had a different evening on the pigs. I must have scared them off last night Tonight they just ran all over the neighbors paddock s and I don’t have permission to shoot there. There were a few that got jumpy and headed for the safety of the bush and I did try to intercept them But I did not succeed. I tried starting my vehicle to In the hope that the noise would make them panic an run off the open paddocks. In the end I realised they just weren’t going to come ove. I counted nearly 100 pigs all grazing away in the safety of the neibours paddocks. I sat there with my equipment and my pockets full of bullets and I just looked at the pigs ...in the end I just jumped in my Ute and headed back to my shack ......time to talk to the neighbors I think
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Aug 2019, 8:15 pm

Update .....live from the paddock. Stars are out. It’s dark. Still. The crickets are going off ....moths are running all over the keypad of my iPad .not cold yet. My property owner had no success in getting hold of his neighbour regarding shooting in his paddocks so I thought I would just tough it out in the reeds hoping to get a clear shot as the pigs crossed the vehicle tracks. They normally travel from one lot of thick reeds to another and then out into the open fields. As I walked along the track I could glimpses of pigs moving across the tracks but often so quick I had no time to shoot or they were too far away. I could here squeals and carrying on all over the place in every direction and I thought if only the reeds were a foot high instead of 10 feet high. But I spose then it would b too easy .. eventually I positioned myself well in relation to the sounds of pigs moving through the reeds towards me. I shot a young b and w boar and then moved another 50 metres west to get to the sounds of more rustling reeds. Swinging the thermal binos around I got onto a boar coming my way so I quickly changed to the rifle and shot him at 20 m. Then the entire section of reeds around me started shaking violently and a big mob of pigs were confused about the shot direction so they all just ran flat out towards me. Anything 30 m away is no problem but when they are right on top of you a thermal scope set on the lowest power is still tricky to get onto fast moving targets .. I did the best I could got another three pigs. I’m sure if not for the muzzle blast deflecting them to the left and right I might have had the whole mob knock me over in the dark in their attempts to get back to their original reed patch. I felt comfortable with the results for a while so I headed back towards my vehicle Passing the open paddocks as I did so I think the shooting must have scared them off the open cultivation for a while. I’ll have a snooze for 30 mins before my next attempt....will post photo of largest black and white boar tomorrow...
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 01 Aug 2019, 8:41 pm

Great report.I feel I am there
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 01 Aug 2019, 9:22 pm

duncan61 wrote:Great report.I feel I am there

Feel like I’m there, but stepped up a bit...
My last trip I nailed a rabbit and thought I was Davy Crocket..
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Aug 2019, 10:29 pm

Well done BLR,,,,,,,,,,,,, patience and cunning Mate :thumbsup: :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Aug 2019, 11:01 pm

It’s now nearly 11 pm He breeze has dropped of to just about nothing There is three mobs of pigs totally about 60 out in the cultivation. But all in the neighbors. So I continue to wait. Just in case they come over into ours. My dog diesel is close up against me sharing the warmth contained by our blankets. Several times during the night I feel him stirring I look up to see him alert with his nose in the air He knows they are there. Good boy diesel. And then he lays his head back down ......after being in the scrub for a while I start to miss a few things. Ice cream. Chocolate cake and coffee from Maccas ..when I get back to the nearest town I might indulge ......actually my new kings camping fridge is fantastic and goes as low as 25 degrees. Does anybody else have one? I should bring ice cream on my next trip
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Aug 2019, 11:04 pm

Xdom. I hope you can never stop feeling like Davey Crockett. That’s the feeling of euphoria and contentment we get on a hunt. And if you can get it from taking a rabbit. That’s what it’s all about. Never loose sight of that
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Aug 2019, 11:11 pm

Just had another scan across the paddocks. The closest mob is perhaps moving our way and it looks like there is a nice big ol boar on the left I better not fall asleep just yet
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Aug 2019, 12:29 am

Steve Rinella said it best = “there is an inextricable alignment between how much time is spent in the Bush, vs our successes”....sounds like your having a ball! If there are a couple tough times - these are the times you will look back on with fondness and relish the most, as we humans (in hindsight) seem to get “more” from suffering than immediate successes...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 02 Aug 2019, 12:50 am

Hey BLR...Dont worry about the chocolate cake mate...
Just worry about them little piggies & some good pics...!!

I made a fresh choc cake...when i cook it i crank the oven temp up full boar for the last 5-10 mins so the outside of the cake crisps up like a choc biscuit while the inside is still soft n moist...

i had it warm with heaps of thick cream over the top...

By the time it gets to the end, the icing mixes with the cream to a delightful thick sweet chocolate creamy syrup--just dynamite with the semi-cruchy crust & soft inner cake...!!!!!

It was a good feed while catching up on the latest of your hunting trip... :thumbsup: :lol:

Sorry mate...but sharing is caring...!!
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Aug 2019, 12:57 am

Geezus Stix - with talk like that...he’ll be fuelling up and heading to yours in the next few minutes...Fark it, I’m thinking about it !!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 02 Aug 2019, 9:48 am

All the pigs got wind of me and took off before they got close to my paddock so I crashed in the paddock with the intent of getting up early to see if any more returned. But no alarm was set and I awoke to daylight but no sun above the horizon. Usually if I camp in the paddock I like to wake to the sound s of birds and a mob of squabbling pigs but this morning a woke to stix and his description of chocolate cake ... so I rummaged around in the Ute but all I could find was a cheap tin of sardines and a couple of museli bars. Oh welll. So I made a plan grabbed my dog and rifle and headed of to the reeds. Saw a couple of pigs on the way but they were out of range I was mostly doing a bit of a circle back to my Ute with the intention of checking out a water hole in the reeds if I could find it. I had noted in on google earth many tines. Fortunately there was a good clear track enabling a quiet walk to the waterhole. I passed two mud rubbed saplings on the pig pad I was fowwowing One was 900 mm high and the other about 850. I have never seen marks that high before. Perhaps it was a big boar arching his back while rubbing. I could hear pigs carrying on in some reeds just the other side of the hole But the wind started to go crazy on me and I could hear pigs running away from me in the reeds. I kept on towards my Ute and found a spot where they were now not too far into the reeds from me. .. time to try my pig sounds phone app. I got my ph ready and I knew it was a long shot trying to convince them I was a pig when they had already smelt me but I had nothing to loose In less than thirty secs I could here them fast pushing through the reeds so I had to drop my new iPhone in the dirt and ready my rifle Two come close to the edges of the reeds but we’re easily identifiable in my scope... the smaller saw me and bolted but the big one stayed long enough for a shot only 6 metres from me He went straight down ... I have tried the app before but without success. I was pretty bloody stoked with myself calling a boar out of the thick to within range. Photo for you all when I get home. I tried to get onto the same mob again 5o metres away they were going off as if they were having a massive argument amongst themselves .... but this time when I tried the calling they all went quiet and I walked home for breakfast and coffee. Diesel has the sad face on because I won’t let him chase pigs anymore
Pp
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Aug 2019, 10:29 pm

Tonight after dark I walked one of my tracks with reeds either side. I had one mob ,singles doubles and randoms cutting back and forth along the track but they are just so swallowed up by the reeds so quickly. I don’t know how many more crossed without me knowing as I’m not scanning all the time. Tried hard but they just did not stay on the tracks long enough for a shot. Tried calling them out without success I eventually shot a young boar. ....then I returned to my vehicle to drool over the mobs on the neighbors paddocks. After a long while I sighted a mob that looked like it would cross over into my place so I Scooted up there and got a boar about ten metres after he pushed under the fence .his twenty mates and all the other mobs took off. One shot from the rifle and the whole paddock was clear of pigs. If I ever get access to the neibours place I think I will need a pta for a lever shotgun. I will have a bludge for a bit and then try another walk on the reedy track.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Aug 2019, 10:54 pm

Hope you get some...

Whats happened to the pics BLR...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 03 Aug 2019, 1:35 pm

Hi again Pics wen I get home I think. A saw a couple more last night and one good mob returned to the open paddock after a while of absence due to me shooting at them. I slept in the paddocks with my dog again last night. Woke up a fraction late. Went for a walk. Did not see any pigs this morning I just heard them rustling in the reeds and squabbling. I m having another lash at them tonight then it’s the big drive home and back to the grind
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control