Newbie options - for pigs & feral dogs?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Newbie options - for pigs & feral dogs?

Post by GQshayne » 29 Nov 2019, 8:04 pm

"Light gathering" is often referred to as a furphy too Oldbloke. I will admit to being on the fence nowadays. I used to agree with you 100%, but not certain now.

But I have absolutely no doubt at all that glass quality will win out. My 24mm Swarovski side by side with a 42mm Zeiss is pretty much equal in low light conditions. In the lower price brackets it may be different. But I would trade a bit of low performance for field of view for scrub hunting.

As for red dot stuff, a compromise is the illuminated reticle in a variable power scope. Great, especially as the light is dimming. I am a convert now after using scope without them for the last 35 years.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Nov 2019, 8:18 pm

Just expressing an opinion. Since im not a physicist Im not arguing. Lol

There are many factors to consider.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Nov 2019, 8:32 pm

decent qaulity glass definately pays dividends . it just depends on what your defintition of "decent qaulity " is ;)

i like leupolds myself , and they do a red dot that is fine enough for distance work

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm

I think range and target species is important too. If your chasing pigs at 100 yards the need is completely different to rabbits at 300.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 29 Nov 2019, 11:06 pm

You’re over thinking it... For what you’re doing, get your 243 or 308. (sounds like a 243 might suit you nicely)
Get your yourself a 3-9x40 or even a 2-10x50 (or thereabouts) and go get stuck into it. You can sit here and procrastinate all day, but really there’s no one gun that does it all.
I wouldn’t worry about low light applications either because really that “window” in the afternoon, where glass quality and objective lens makes a big difference, is such a small amount of time comparable to a whole night, it’s not gonna matter if you want to shoot in daylight or preferably at night time when everything is gonna be moving more. 2-7 will be great for daytime and at night, you can take close shots and a barrel mounted torch will still work well at night.
No doubt you’ll get into it and soon enough you’ll want NV or thermal and the scope debate will become less important.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Nov 2019, 5:38 am

Oldbloke wrote:I think range and target species is important too. If your chasing pigs at 100 yards the need is completely different to rabbits at 300.

Absolutely OB . I think as shooters we should have our firearms carried around in a golf bag , so we can have the caddy hand us the “correct “ rifle for any given situation

:lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 30 Nov 2019, 7:19 pm

Too right fellas, there is no golden rule that is for sure. All we can do is try and get the best compromise for what hunting we do.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 01 Dec 2019, 9:35 am

Absolutely OB . I think as shooters we should have our firearms carried around in a golf bag , so we can have the caddy hand us the “correct “ rifle for any given situation

:lol:[/quote]

Hahaha that would solve a lot of my issues (well, the gun related ones anyway) :lol:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 01 Dec 2019, 9:49 am

ScottyD wrote:Absolutely OB . I think as shooters we should have our firearms carried around in a golf bag , so we can have the caddy hand us the “correct “ rifle for any given situation

:lol:

Hahaha that would solve a lot of my issues (well, the gun related ones anyway) :lol:[/quote]

having "gun bearers" like the days of old big game hunters :D

call me bwana :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Dec 2019, 10:19 am

ScottyD wrote:Our place is open countryside down around our house/yards, but quickly rises up into mountainous terrain with thickish bush. I guessing something good for midrange would be best.

Anyway looking forward to hearing your suggestions. My apologies if this is covered in another thread I've missed.

His target species are dog & pigs. Thick short range and open, longer range.

What i meant earlier is just select what is best suited. 223, should be ok for dogs but a bit light for larger pigs. Range is all over the shop from say 50 to say 200 mtres

Almost any cartridge with say 80 grain spire or heavier doing about 2600 fps or more will do the job. And there are a lot to pick from. But I believe u should pick a commonly used one, because easier and cheaper to buy ammo and components.
If Sambar or Reds are a possibility I would go 308 or bigger.

30.30 are great, had one. But due to blunt nose bullets limit range and BAs are generally more accurate than levers, so I would not go down that path.

Any half decent, reliable variable, 2-7×40 or 3-9×40 will do the job, they are not tiny targets. Personally I like 3-9×40.

Again we are not target shooting at 500. Any half decent modern bolt action with reloads will do the job.

Pay for more or better if you want but the rest is all BS
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 01 Dec 2019, 10:39 am

best thing i can come up with ( besides the ruger 308 scout i suggested at the start ), would be maybe a tikka t3 stainless/synthetic in 6.5 CM ( insert man bun jokes here......... :lol: .) . affordable , light weight ,accurate, not big on recoil , off the shelf ammo (hornady , federal hunting ammo ), big enough for dogs and capable for average pigs . a HOWA is a cheaper option

scopes , well i think that's a individual choice. 3-9x40 as OB suggests would be the most flexiable while keeping weight down as well

actually , compared to 30 years ago , we're spoilt for choice with rifles and scopes these days

isn't it great :D :thumbsup: just a few suggestions :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Dec 2019, 12:03 pm

Not familiar with 6.5 CM but looks fine on paper. Not so sure how easy/cheap ammo is though.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ScottyD » 04 Dec 2019, 8:28 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:You’re over thinking it... For what you’re doing, get your 243 or 308. (sounds like a 243 might suit you nicely)
Get your yourself a 3-9x40 or even a 2-10x50 (or thereabouts) and go get stuck into it. You can sit here and procrastinate all day, but really there’s no one gun that does it all.
I wouldn’t worry about low light applications either because really that “window” in the afternoon, where glass quality and objective lens makes a big difference, is such a small amount of time comparable to a whole night, it’s not gonna matter if you want to shoot in daylight or preferably at night time when everything is gonna be moving more. 2-7 will be great for daytime and at night, you can take close shots and a barrel mounted torch will still work well at night.
No doubt you’ll get into it and soon enough you’ll want NV or thermal and the scope debate will become less important.

Ha yeah you're probably right, I do get a bit anal with stuff like this. I'm just trying to see if I can do all my homework properly while waiting to get my licence (I'm guessing wont get it till mid next year now :crazy: ), so when I can actually finally get something there'll be a good chance it'll be the right one(s)

Comments about poor lighting/night time hunting are duly noted, and I've already been in people's ears about thermal and IR scopes (although I'm not sure how I'm going to get those extra very expensive purchases past the missus :huh: )
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control