17hmr v 22wmr

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

17hmr v 22wmr

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2019, 11:59 am

No doubt this has been done to death.. but its my current dilemma.

Am looking to get either a 22 mag or 17hmr for everything from bunnies to foxes out to about 120m. Have been considering both 17hmr (probably questionable for foxes at 100+ from what I can gather? but far more accurate - and will it do too much damage to skins?) and 17wsm (overkill for bunnies in close), and keep circling back to 22wmr as an all 'rounder. This will ultimately be paired with a .223 / .204 and maybe even something heavier for longer distance larger hunting duties as I want to step up to pigs and deer at some point. Might even join a club at some stage and do some longer range hole punching.

So I'm looking for current recommendations - because I want one more accurate than the old man's Stirling 22wmr that spits out too many flyers. I'm not overly fussed on stock but probably leaning to wood or laminate. Call me old fashioned.

Think I'm narrowing it down to CZ455 (or 457 when they get here) or second hand Ruger 77, but am reading good things about the Ruger American too. Accuracy and build quality is more important to me than looks.

Theres a nice looking second hand 77-17hmr that I'll take a look at this weekend alongside a cz455. I like the idea of being able to change barrels on the 455 fairly easily, but don't like the idea of the arse about safety... are they easy to get used to??

So what say you folks? 17hmr / 22wmr - and why? And which is your pick? cz / ruger / other and why?
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: 17hmr v 22wmr

Post by marksman » 01 Aug 2019, 2:01 pm

17 hornet because you can reload for it cheaper than buying 17hmr or 22wmr and it will kill either of your choices

if you are not into reloading I would go the 17hmr because it shoots a lot flatter, bullet placement is what you need to put the pests down
headshots :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2019, 2:23 pm

Yeah not going to be re-loading anytime soon. I don't shoot enough at present to warrant it. I do like the look of the 17Hornet though. But I'd have thought a .204 would be even better so will likely go down that path when the time comes.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Aug 2019, 2:31 pm

Vicko wrote:No doubt this has been done to death.. but its my current dilemma.

Am looking to get either a 22 mag or 17hmr for everything from bunnies to foxes out to about 120m. Have been considering both 17hmr (probably questionable for foxes at 100+ from what I can gather? but far more accurate - and will it do too much damage to skins?) and 17wsm (overkill for bunnies in close), and keep circling back to 22wmr as an all 'rounder. This will ultimately be paired with a .223 / .204 and maybe even something heavier for longer distance larger hunting duties as I want to step up to pigs and deer at some point. Might even join a club at some stage and do some longer range hole punching.

So I'm looking for current recommendations - because I want one more accurate than the old man's Stirling 22wmr that spits out too many flyers. I'm not overly fussed on stock but probably leaning to wood or laminate. Call me old fashioned.

Think I'm narrowing it down to CZ455 (or 457 when they get here) or second hand Ruger 77, but am reading good things about the Ruger American too. Accuracy and build quality is more important to me than looks.

Theres a nice looking second hand 77-17hmr that I'll take a look at this weekend alongside a cz455. I like the idea of being able to change barrels on the 455 fairly easily, but don't like the idea of the arse about safety... are they easy to get used to??

So what say you folks? 17hmr / 22wmr - and why? And which is your pick? cz / ruger / other and why?

As there is no market for fox skins anymore it's probably redundant trying to avoid damaging them, just to toss them on a bonfire. If you want to save a few skins for yourself just pick some careful shots.

I'm personally not a fan of the rimfires that are not .22LR, they're limited in scope and expensive to shoot compared to loading your own ammo for any centrefire that can do a better job, with more versatility, for less cost. But if you don't reload then I would lean toward the HMR. I had a Stirling Model 1500M when I was a kid and its accuracy was no better than my .22's, and far short of my .222Rem, so I rarely used the WMR. Modern WMR rifles and ammo though seem to be more capable than I experienced, so I wouldn't turn away from a WMR that took your fancy.

If you don't already have a .22LR though, I would tend toward that than either of the magnums. You lose some range, but you can do an amazing amount of shooting for very little money, and what you'll learning doing so will be invaluable.

Ruger American would be my choice, preferably one of the heavier target barrel models.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2019, 3:49 pm

I already have a handful of 22LRs to choose from. But looking for the bit of extra range that comes with a little more powder. Done a lot of shooting with my old mans Stirling WMR (and with his Lithgow 22LR too) and I do like shooting the WMR even though it throws out a few too many fliers. Its nice and heavy and out to 120 or so foxes stay hit... And I'd like to think my shots are always careful :) I'll be head/lung shooting foxes and head shooting bunnies for meat. I'm not new to shooting as such, have probably head shot a thousand bunnies and a couple of hundred foxes. All with rimfires. But 'I' only own 22LRs at present.

As I said above I'm not really interested in reloading, and for what I want with this rifle - the quieter calibers are also better. We're not on big acreage and have plenty of neighbours within earshot.

When I do get a centrefire I might start reloading if I end up at the range a lot. But that'll be the next cab off the rank.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jeff303 » 01 Aug 2019, 6:07 pm

22 mag everyday of the week.
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2019, 6:22 pm

Jeff303 wrote:22 mag everyday of the week.

Why do you say that Jeff?
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 01 Aug 2019, 6:36 pm

i had a weihrauch 22 mag that consistantly shot under 1" at 100 with cci 40 gn hp ammo . had a awesome trigger too. but my 22 hornet is way more accurate again with handloads and has more reach . i'd go 22 mag for the heavier projectile myself, there is some good ammo available for 22 mag these days

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 01 Aug 2019, 6:58 pm

I have the cz455 with 3 barrels. I wanted the 17 HMR. As I never thought I’d get into reloading. That changed. I seriously don’t rate the 22 mag barrel I have. I could miss rabbits at 50 metres with it. Just too many flyers. And I reckon the premium ammo is too expensive for what it is

Definitely prefer the 204 ruger as a fox gun. But the 223 is fine.

The 17hmr is a great bunny gun. Within 100 metres is kind of feels like cheating if you usually use a .22lr.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 01 Aug 2019, 7:29 pm

Grab yourself the current issue of Sporting Shooter. It has a good article on the 22 Mag in it, written by Nick Harvey. Interesting read.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 01 Aug 2019, 7:32 pm

I am a big fan of the 17 HMR 17-20gn pills for choice and flat and fast
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Aug 2019, 8:00 pm

You might have a look at Sako and Tikka rimfires which are very nice bits of kit. The Tikka is not the prettiest but they sure do shoot.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 01 Aug 2019, 8:02 pm

GQshayne wrote:Grab yourself the current issue of Sporting Shooter. It has a good article on the 22 Mag in it, written by Nick Harvey. Interesting read.

old "uncle nick" is still going hey ? god bless him :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 01 Aug 2019, 10:18 pm

Ive got the Cogswell and Harrison 17hmr - absolute cracker of a gun.
Head shots on foxes at 100m+ arent a problem unless the wind is up.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2019, 11:04 pm

bigrich wrote:
GQshayne wrote:Grab yourself the current issue of Sporting Shooter. It has a good article on the 22 Mag in it, written by Nick Harvey. Interesting read.

The July edition? Ive got it, but cant see the 22Mag article by Nick. Or is it an earlier edition?
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2019, 11:15 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You might have a look at Sako and Tikka rimfires which are very nice bits of kit. The Tikka is not the prettiest but they sure do shoot.

Yep, certainly the Tikka T1X should have been on my list. And if the Ruger American is then the Savage 93 probably should be too really..
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 02 Aug 2019, 6:04 am

I have both in the Ruger American version. I like both calibres. I also have a 204. I much prefer my 204 for fox and roo shooting. I prefer my HMR for bunny shooting. I have shot foxes with both the 17 and the 22 magnum. Obviously shot placement is crucial. If you are likely to be shooting foxes with any regularity l would recommend the magnum over the 17. Head shooting and getting as close as you can would be my suggestion as well. I use the 30 grain Hornady vmaxs, which I quite like. CZ, Tikka, Ruger: I think they would all be pretty good. It’s a question of your personal preference.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vicko » 02 Aug 2019, 8:02 am

Bruiser64 wrote:I have both in the Ruger American version. I like both calibres. I also have a 204. I much prefer my 204 for fox and roo shooting. I prefer my HMR for bunny shooting. I have shot foxes with both the 17 and the 22 magnum. Obviously shot placement is crucial. If you are likely to be shooting foxes with any regularity l would recommend the magnum over the 17. Head shooting and getting as close as you can would be my suggestion as well. I use the 30 grain Hornady vmaxs, which I quite like. CZ, Tikka, Ruger: I think they would all be pretty good. It’s a question of your personal preference.

Thanks - I think I'm probably going to be heading a similar direction. What sort of range you think you'd normally 'opt out' of using the 17hmr on foxes?
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 02 Aug 2019, 8:19 am

Ive had 22 magnums and for along time it was my go to go for cheap varmit work. Favorite 22mag was an anschutz 22 mag but I started to feel undergunned after a few too many small pig incidents lol, small mag capacity and bullet drop were part of the equation, sold it to a mate who runs fats lambs and he like the accuracy, trigger and lack of noise. Probably shot a few thousand foxes by now

I now have tikka 17hmr and I feel its a better gun in everyway, Ive mostly used it on paper but a mate has been using it for hares, rabbits and foxes for the last 8 months and reckons it just about the perfect outfit for the job, he shoots professionally for a living and loves the 17gr CCI which runs around 2700fps, thats add a lot of extra range over the 22magnum. paid $220 for the 500 of the CCI 17gr. The Tikka also feels like a man sized rifle but doesnt weigh alot.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Jeff303 » 02 Aug 2019, 6:17 pm

Ive had both. 17 is a nice round but hates wind & thicker skinned critters. The 22mag trajectory isnt as flat but not shocking either, you learn to allow for it.
Had a savage 93 fv that shot through the eye of a needle, & a ruger American now thats great too.
Tagging a pig with a 22 mag leaves a lump in the front of your pants,
Tagging a pig with a hmr leaves one in the back
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Aug 2019, 7:21 pm

Jeff303 wrote:Tagging a pig with a 22 mag leaves a lump in the front of your pants,
Tagging a pig with a hmr leaves one in the back

Hunting is very simulating for you then?

What happens when you shoot a decent centrefire?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Vicko » 02 Aug 2019, 8:04 pm

Lol - I won't be shooting pigs with a rimfire
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 02 Aug 2019, 8:25 pm

Vicko wrote:
bigrich wrote:

The July edition? Ive got it, but cant see the 22Mag article by Nick. Or is it an earlier edition?

August issue mate. I am a subscriber, so have had it long enough to read it already.

And yes, Uncle Nick is still going. And I reckon his magazine tests are the benchmark. Perhaps he is given more space in the mag than some other testers, but his tests are very comprehensive. He is of course very biased towards hunting, so target and tactical stuff is not his favourite, but that matches my interests too.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 02 Aug 2019, 8:32 pm

A quick quote from the article - 17gn HMR has 129 ft/lbs energy at 100m, 40gn WMR has 207 ft/lbs.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jeff303 » 02 Aug 2019, 8:32 pm

My point is , you dont always know whats going to jump out. As an all rounder the 22 mag has it. And yes , i do use centrefires, but a 30-06 is not my first choice for a leisurely stroll chasing rabbits.
As a dedicated varmint round , theres nothing wrong with a hmr
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Aug 2019, 9:19 pm

All good, as long as you are having some fun.

You never know what might jump out and there is nothing wrong with a 204 Ruger either.

I am not a fan of the 22 Magnum but that is my choice. That does not stop you having fun with it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 02 Aug 2019, 9:24 pm

Vicko wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:I have both in the Ruger American version. I like both calibres. I also have a 204. I much prefer my 204 for fox and roo shooting. I prefer my HMR for bunny shooting. I have shot foxes with both the 17 and the 22 magnum. Obviously shot placement is crucial. If you are likely to be shooting foxes with any regularity l would recommend the magnum over the 17. Head shooting and getting as close as you can would be my suggestion as well. I use the 30 grain Hornady vmaxs, which I quite like. CZ, Tikka, Ruger: I think they would all be pretty good. It’s a question of your personal preference.

Thanks - I think I'm probably going to be heading a similar direction. What sort of range you think you'd normally 'opt out' of using the 17hmr on foxes?

I would think 70 or 80 metres would be the limit. You definitely want to go for a headshot though. If I am targeting foxes I use the 204. There is a huge difference in performance (unsurprisingly) between the 204 and the 17 hmr. If I see a fox and I have the 17 in my hands I will try to call it in as close as I can. The hmr is a fantastic bunny gun though. For the price of the Ruger American, I am happy to have both.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Elmer » 02 Aug 2019, 9:31 pm

I have shot Bunnies out to 180yds with the .22mag and a crow at 240yds.
Past 100 the .22mag has twice the punch of the hmr and can be used against small pigs and goats under 100.
I have a sako quad 22mag and love it, I have never been tempered to get the hmr as I re ckon they are too wind sensitive past 100.
I have a few vids on youtube using my .22mag under the name of SA Feral Shooter, check it out .
I would go the mag ... I have a friend who was once ranked no. 3 in Aussie Benchrest target shooting he has a hmr and said ....one day he loves it, the next he wants to wrap it around a tree , his rifle is a Cz. and also said that when the wind blows you might as well leave the thing in the safe.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Vicko » 02 Aug 2019, 11:07 pm

All great replies again. I'm so on the fence again its ridiculous. Looking forward to getting the August edition to read Nicks article.

I'm aware of the energy evenness between the HMR and WMR once out to around 100. But you also have to be able to hit it...
If someone made decent quality WMR ammo it might be a different story.

Here's some nice graphy liney things:

Sooo.. f*ck knows what I'm going to get now :)
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Aug 2019, 2:07 am

Vicko wrote:Lol - I won't be shooting pigs with a rimfire

Smart.
I own 22lr,22wmr,and 17hmr. In all honesty if I were to buy another 17 rim fire it would be a 17wsm.
Out of all 3 I do own though,the 17hmr gets the most work. Probably a bit to do with it being left to me by my best mate,a bit to do with it being a beautiful rifle,and a lot to do with it just being a bloody good thing. The second most used one is my 22,although that mainly gets used by my offsider.or my son. Unfortunately the 22wmr doesn't get used a lot,but that's not saying it's not accurate or a nice rifle,it just doesn't get a lot of trigger time. And the 17hmr is a good thing for fox pelts,which can indeed still be worth considerable money if you know where to sell them....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control