How do u monitor wind direction in the field ?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

How do u monitor wind direction in the field ?

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2019, 7:12 pm

I f it’s not strong enough for me to be constantly aware of it I carry a cig lighter Don’t always need a flame , sometimes just the smoke coming off the flint strike can be observed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: How do u monitor wind direction in the field ?

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Aug 2019, 7:21 pm

I tie a bit of ribbon to my aerial when out shooting out of the vehicle (long range varmint smashing), most of the time I just look at the trees, grass etc and honestly with most shooting close enough I don't worry about wind direction at all TBH it's more important at longer ranges than average shooting ranges I've found.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GQshayne » 09 Aug 2019, 7:27 pm

Dust. Let some of it trickle from my hand and see where it blows.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2019, 7:45 pm

Scott , I was referring to keeping the wind in my face when trying to move through the bush. I wasn’t worried about wind blowing my bullet off course,,,,, I have used the dust technique too but it’s no good when everything is muddy or damp
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Aug 2019, 7:52 pm

:lol: :lol: Try fixing a toothpick to your forehead with superglue and a strand of cotton on the tooth pick.
If the cotton keeps tickling your nostrils,,,, you'll know the wind is in your favor. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Aug 2019, 8:30 pm

:D +1 or try a puffer bottle with baby powder - I use a empty eye drop bottle. The powder is white and odorless...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Aug 2019, 10:30 pm

Hey BLR...
When it comes to wind, i used to be a smoker who was intensly respectful & acutely aware of my smoke for other people...i also hated others smoke blowinv in my face...& so am very aware of any wind direction by feel on my face...i can easily pick even just very suttle air movement.

Ive seen a guy who wraps a layer of cloth tape around end of barrel & tears it so a thread hangs 6" or so...

I would never be puffing any kind of powder in the air--particularly not if chasing hyper-sensative hoofs...well not smelly stuff anyway...!!!

Whatever you use, test yourself every day/every opportunity--even at home, work, taking the dog for a walk...often & regularly for as long as it takes to be confident you dont need a tool to tell you.

I say that because years ago i wanted to make better wind calls with shots as well as put a number to the wind i could feel on my face & see in the grass & mirage...so i bought a wind meter & took it everywhere...work farms range etc & tested myself all the time for a year or more...

You'll find testing yourself will hone you in quickly & fine tune your awareness.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 10 Aug 2019, 8:14 am

Stix. I did not know wind meters existed. Can u please describe in more detail which one you bought ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 8:21 am

They're just a little hand held fan driven meter
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 8:23 am

Screenshot_20190810-075308_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190810-075308_Samsung Internet.jpg (202.1 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 9:29 am

Yea like that one...

But i bought a cheapie...i got the "Caldwell" branded one...cost me about $80 a few years back...think i got it from western firearms.

Here's a link i found--(hopefully the link works--im trying to do this on a mobile)

w.xhunter.com.au/products/caldwell-wind-wizard-ii-electronic-hand-held-wind-meter

Nope...

https://www.xhunter.com.au/products/cal ... wind-meter

Thats better...yay...it worked...

Ive never bought (or even heard) of that mob--i just googled Caldwell wind meter AU.

BTW blr--this will only give you speed--not direction--its obviously up to you to hold it into the wind...

They do make a 'wurring' sound so you probably wouldnt want to pull one out chasing deer...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2019, 1:33 pm

Blr243 wrote:Scott , I was referring to keeping the wind in my face when trying to move through the bush. I wasn’t worried about wind blowing my bullet off course,,,,, I have used the dust technique too but it’s no good when everything is muddy or damp

Well why didn't ya say that if that's what you were referring to? :unknown:

You could always do the ol wet a finger and stick it up in the air and feel for the cool temp change, that's what I would do if it really concerned me. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Aug 2019, 3:40 pm

RoginaJack wrote::D +1 or try a puffer bottle with baby powder - I use a empty eye drop bottle. The powder is white and odorless...

As above. Eye dropper bottles are good. Can use corn flour too.

Also a 6 inch length of cotton taped to end of barrel. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Oldbloke on 10 Aug 2019, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Aug 2019, 4:11 pm

A little off topic but still relevant...
There is a wonderful meat Eater episode where Steve Rinella is stalking a bunch of deer to try and shoot one with a bow - cameraman is well behind him. His personal max distance for a bow shot is capped at 40 yards.
He is an experienced hunter so is aware of the wind, a broken stick, etc and you watch him creep from 150 yards into 50 yards...the wind blowing straight into his face.
Then, you can literally see, a few leaves near him, just ever so gently, stop swaying towards him and a couple leaves flicker towards the deer...and gone. Rinella stays rock still as he feels the breeze on his neck - but the deer are already out of there...was a very interesting demonstration of wind management.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 10 Aug 2019, 4:23 pm

The place I used to hunt up the cape had horrendous winds all over the show. Extremely frustrating with a bow to put all that effort in as the sun is beating down on you and then the wind on your back. Too many times. I think it does not hurt to think back to when we were cavemen..... they could really only lick their finger or sprinkle some dust. Sometimes the simple things are the best
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control