Unprovoked pigs attacking humans in Australia

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Unprovoked pigs attacking humans in Australia

Post by Blr243 » 21 Aug 2019, 7:56 pm

In thirty yrs of hunting Australia I have only heard of this twice. Once at Goondiwindi I heard of an aggressive boar that used to chase people on quads and attack the quad if he could catch it ....another time at charters towers I heard of a mob approx hundred strong chase some kids but they were bush kids and were on horseback so they easily got away. They did admit they were scared and that the mob was grunting madly during the chase. I hunt big open paddocks with no trees to climb There are several big mobs in each paddock at once. If they were ever to decide to go me I’m screwed......it has entered my mind a few times I generally feel safe knowing they are more interested in running for cover .....I feel 999 times out of a thousand they will run away. Has anyone here heard of unprovoked pigs attacking people ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Unprovoked pigs attacking humans in Australia

Post by Blr243 » 21 Aug 2019, 7:59 pm

I have heard of solo wild dogs and a few wild dogs putting people up trees but I reckon I can handle a few wild dogs. But 20 pigs of any size would be frightening
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Aug 2019, 8:24 pm

There's good reasons pigs are considered Australia's most dangerous game. They've sent more than their fair share of hunters to the emergency ward.

Saying that I haven't seen or heared of "unprovoked" attacks. Normally they'll run away unless cornered or injured, but it wouldn't surprise me if you'd get attacked by a pig with an attitude problem for simply getting into it's flight zone. Lots of animals are capable of that.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Aug 2019, 8:33 pm

tin foil hat time , there's a covert government instalation breeding mutant "attack pigs" in case we are invaded . :lol: it's a win-win situation for the army, any wounded pigs go straight on the spit ! :P

new zealand special forces have this countered though, through the formation of a maori regiment , " the hungi brigade " :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 21 Aug 2019, 8:47 pm

Ive been charged once by a sizable pig certainly had to change the jocks after it. Lucky to get the well placed shot too
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Aug 2019, 12:38 am

Well I've had 19 stitches put into the back of my upper leg from a boar I was bending over hobbling another boar that was still being held by my dogs when another boar came from the creek and hit me from behind lifting me off my feet I was lucky I had 3 legs hobbled on the first pig and the dogs let it go and lugged the second boar ended up with 2 pigs I didn't know I was hit bad until my boot filled up with blood I could put 4 fingers to the second knuckle in the rip in the back of my leg I don't think it was a random attack I think the dogs had hit him earlier and lost him before latching onto the one I was hobbling first then a 3hr drive back to get the leg stitched
Member-Deleted

Post by JimTom » 22 Aug 2019, 5:53 am

Have had a few encounters where a big ole boar has charged me but never unprovoked.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 25 Aug 2019, 4:27 pm

I’ve been only been chased after I’ve shot them and only twice
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 25 Aug 2019, 6:11 pm

One time when i was a young fella i rode my motorbike down the paddock to check on a pig trap we'd set, when i got there it had two little suckers in it who started going off their heads, i got off my bike to check them out and in the blink of an eye their very pissed off mum turned up and i spent about four hours sitting on top of the cage with the sow just circling me grunting and carrying on. Eventually the old man came down in the ute looking for me, he laughed his bloody ass off and then shot it.
Bloody pigs!!!! :lol:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Aug 2019, 7:28 pm

Once while bow hunt ing up the cape I spooked a boar out of his bed he looked so old and frail that I put my bow on the ground and gave chase thinking I could grab him by the tail but he had other ideas As I chased him through the bush I temporarily lost sight of him and he spun around to face his tormentor when he is running flat out towards me and me running flat out towards him it did not take long for the meeting. As soon as I saw him coming I had no time so straight up the first skinny eucalyptus I could find. But I got tired as I had no branches to hang onto ....he was a real warrior with an eye missing and scars all over him. He just stayed there clicking his tusks looking at me with his good eye and he said I had better not come down from the free .......eventually he just turned and wandered off. I dropped to the ground and gave chase but he did one of those amazing vanishing into thin air tricks that game can do to us sometimes. Hunting does not always need to have an animal on the ground to be a success. Plenty of good memories we have during pursuit of game
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by xDom » 25 Aug 2019, 8:17 pm

JSS wrote:One time when i was a young fella i rode my motorbike down the paddock to check on a pig trap we'd set, when i got there it had two little suckers in it who started going off their heads, i got off my bike to check them out and in the blink of an eye their very pissed off mum turned up and i spent about four hours sitting on top of the cage with the sow just circling me grunting and carrying on. Eventually the old man came down in the ute looking for me, he laughed his bloody ass off and then shot it.

That could possibly be the Aussiest post I've ever read.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 25 Aug 2019, 8:49 pm

In 1985 at Tully battle school Peter the pig man rolled in and he had trapped a boar and a sow.The boar was lying on the bottom of the cage as if it had accepted its lot but the sow was ramming the cage and snorting anytime anyone was in view it had smashed its head and was bleeding profusely and I would not like to have to deal with it in the jungle.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 25 Aug 2019, 8:57 pm

duncan61 wrote:In 1985 at Tully battle school Peter the pig man rolled in and he had trapped a boar and a sow.The boar was lying on the bottom of the cage as if it had accepted its lot but the sow was ramming the cage and snorting anytime anyone was in view it had smashed its head and was bleeding profusely and I would not like to have to deal with it in the jungle.

LCBS Tully. Now that’s a place I’d rather forget. ;-)
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 25 Aug 2019, 9:48 pm

In a 3 year military career I did 2 stints as Enemy for 3 months at a time and did the 12 day Training course 3 times.The jungle is your friend apparently
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 25 Aug 2019, 10:07 pm

JSS wrote:One time when i was a young fella i rode my motorbike down the paddock to check on a pig trap we'd set, when i got there it had two little suckers in it who started going off their heads, i got off my bike to check them out and in the blink of an eye their very pissed off mum turned up and i spent about four hours sitting on top of the cage with the sow just circling me grunting and carrying on. Eventually the old man came down in the ute looking for me, he laughed his bloody ass off and then shot it.

Did you mean "bloody pigs"...?...or "bloody kids/boys"...??... :lol:

Thats a cracker of a yarn JSS...!!!...Love it...just dam good stuff mate...!!!... :lol: :lol: :drinks:

It'd be really good to hear your ol'mans version too...!!... :thumbsup: ...
He was probably not only laughing in hysterics at you, but also laughing at witnessing one of the steps that make'th his lad th'man... :thumbsup: ... :clap:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 26 Aug 2019, 11:42 pm

What, dont like the weeds there fellas? :D I grew up in that region and am back there now. But seriously I have to agree, its terrible terrain. The heat, humidity sweating through your clothes, mould, bities, and thats just walking from your front door to the car . :lol:

As to pigs, its good on an Australian forum, the conversation is pretty common sense and informative. On an America forum there would already have been half a dozen stories about ' pigzilla' running off after absorbing 5 hits from a 338 win mag. :D

I know one story my granmpa told me of a bloke being treed by a mob of pigs. They parked under the tree and kept him there for a while. He had left his rifle at the bottom when climbing in a hurry, and one of the pigs had a chew on the stock, possibly the blokes sweat/salt on it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JimTom » 27 Aug 2019, 5:19 am

It wasn’t so much the place itself, more what they would do to you whilst you were there. Long few weeks.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 29 Sep 2019, 2:40 pm

Land Command Battle School
A dead set c*** of a place
F@ckin Jarra creek.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal