Free drinks for all

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Free drinks for all

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 6:08 pm

I just turned up on the edge of my paddock a touch later than usual the sun has dipped below the horizon and I have orange glow and still enough light to scan with normal binos. There is a mob of slips and suckers on the ground already They must be non local as the local ones are arriving a bit late due to my hounding of them Either that or they are exceptionally peckish due to being chased of the paddock last night before they could fill their bellies. To keep me focused on not getting slack and fallling asleep during the night I promise a six pack of jd to everyone here if I do ......do we have a deal ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Free drinks for all

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 6:38 pm

My mob of 20/25 that usually turn up before the others has just entered the paddock. And they are moving fast too. They always head straight to me as a habit because I have a watering point behind me ....so at some stage I will have to prepare myself to be in the correct downwind position for a close stalk and best results. The temp is perfect. It’s a really nice night so far
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Sep 2019, 6:42 pm

Don't you wish you had a sound moderator to not scare them too much.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 7:17 pm

I had bought my bow along on this trip just for that reason. I took three from a mob up the cape with my bow yrs ago before the rest scattered. The reason us hunters only get a fraction of them is because they all bolt for the hills at the first rifle shot ...I just shot a pig from that mob and the rest did not stop running till the hit the scrub .....but I need a good night hunting set up for my bow and lots of night practice to ensure ethical shot placement. For now I will probably just use my bow on these properties in the reeds during the day when it rains. I’m beginning to HATE this drought. It’s so unfair
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 7:33 pm

Regarding this20/25 mob that keeps coming from the same spot at the same time and always come over to me,,,, I was thinking earlier that they are not the smartest bunch because they keep coming over and I shoot them in nearly the same spot every time. I just wrote how they took off for the hills but now they are back again. I have a slightly annoying 1/8 th of a moon but it’s going down and should be gone in less than 30 mins. I have another mob over to my left in the centre of the paddock but they are in a great position I can get to them later. Diesel is shooty at me because I’m leaving him tied up near the Ute as I go into the paddock s. He’s just too excitable and too much to deal with as I’m trying to prepare for an accurate shot
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 8:28 pm

The mob turned up again same spot. They were no more alert than before when I shot another pig from the mob ( just twenty m from the first pig I shot there 20 mins ago ..... then I did a few hundred metres Stalk on what turned out to be a roo so I headed back to the Ute
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 11:34 pm

About 915 my alarm went off ( I have several set to keep me from nodding off ). When the alarm did sound I was aware I was beginning to drift off. I jumped up and scanned the paddocks. I immediately saw a bright strong rectangular heat signature that had to be a boar so I grabbed my gear and off I went. I was just walking back after shooting this black and white boar when I saw three more pigs walking thru the sparse cane grass with the intent of feeding on the cultivation... I had to do a bit off fancy footwork to cut them off , get in front and get the wind right. I took the biggest and it turned out to be not a bad boar. That’s pig 4 for the night and I’ve got more go in me still so am keeping my fingers crossed , walking back , typing , cuddling my dog, having a drink and posting some photos is about the perfect amount of time to allow more pigs to visit my paddock.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 11:39 pm

I just had another scan and there is a bright beautiful glowing white boar over the other side but I have not finished resting yet so he can feed and settle for a bit ....god I love this place. Wind is good. Hope it stays that way.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 11:42 pm

Black and white solo boar
Attachments
6CAEBCB5-7B0A-40B2-9474-5834EBF850FE.jpeg
B and w boar
6CAEBCB5-7B0A-40B2-9474-5834EBF850FE.jpeg (273.64 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2019, 11:44 pm

Muddy boar
Attachments
51DC1883-8DD6-4131-B58A-422D4BE243B5.jpeg
51DC1883-8DD6-4131-B58A-422D4BE243B5.jpeg (185.45 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Sep 2019, 11:58 pm

Your getting very tired...very sleepy...it’s comfortable closing your eyes....it’s warm...it’s home...it’s your safe place...

Hey - it’s a 6 pack of JD ffs...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 02 Sep 2019, 12:12 am

Can we do a swapsies for those that dont drink JD.....?
If a Scotch Whisky replacement is possible, i want to see a few more pigs... ... ...before you fall asleep... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 02 Sep 2019, 1:06 am

So I went over to get that boar. Everything went well. I try to walk parallel with the rows of dry noisy stubble ( in between the rows) if I can. I just kept it together Tried not to get to excited. There’s nothing worse than blowing a stalk by being patient I laid down in the dirt like I have done so many times before , wiggled my trusty 50 cent tripod into correct position and focused on the boar. I was close , and wound up to 12 power , he was glowing like the sun, The crack of the rifle cut through the cold night air and I heard the bullet strike. Down he went. On close inspection he was black with white feet and socks just like my dog After taking a photo I headed back to the Ute for a mini nap but that bloody silly mob was on its way over again so like always I just intercepted them and shot one of them. Roughly 50 m from the last two from the same mob.
Up
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Sep 2019, 1:13 am

Jd , Scotch bundy. Ok. No problem. As long as I don’t succumb to tasss attempt to hypnotise me I might make it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Sep 2019, 1:15 am

Boar wth white feet
Attachments
1DFE3B65-BC1F-48AD-A69C-0D030F7DFF73.jpeg
1DFE3B65-BC1F-48AD-A69C-0D030F7DFF73.jpeg (133.24 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Sep 2019, 1:17 am

All this walking and stalking and. Typing is keeping me awake but spelling mistakes and random rambling possibilities from now on
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 02 Sep 2019, 1:27 am

stay awake and keep shooting,,,,,,but i am going to bed,,nice and warm,soft soooo sleeeepy just close your eyes for a seczzzzzzzz

in two minds ,want more pics but im thirsty :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 02 Sep 2019, 1:31 am

U won’t believe it but the suicide mob has turned up again. That’s four times now. And there’s stuff over to the west that needs a closer look to but I need a break and some snacks first. Every time I crawl into the swag diesel is madly sniffing at my clothes because he can smell boar on me. The stars are absolutely beautiful out here tonight.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JSS » 02 Sep 2019, 7:09 am

Hmmm another mobs moved in, just having a break, then no more posts or photos after 1:31................i know what that means :lol:

JD is fine for me, thanks Blr :drinks: I just really hope you only fell asleep and didn't succumb to Tassies hypnosis, God knows what he'd have you doing :lol:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Sep 2019, 7:35 am

I had some micro naps in between alarms ....every 15 mins when the alarms went off I scanned the paddock but saw bugger all ,,,,even the suicide mob changed direction and eventually departed before I could act ....just before dawn I saw a solo boar but during the stalk he took off. The wind was fine. It was still dark enough and I think he was too far away to hear my approach....so missed out there ....now it’s rest time.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Sep 2019, 12:23 pm

So if I'm reading and seeing this correctly,,,,,,,,, You shoot with the barrel resting in the fork/ring ????

Doesn't it play hell with your accuracy by impeding the natural barrel movement from firing ?

Many years back I made one very similar in design except it was steel tube much like the bipod legs of today.
I used it with a heavy barreled .308 and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Soon as I realized what was happening I put it on the fore-end timber which allowed the barrel and the free floating to do what it did naturally,,
and the normal accuracy came back immediately.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Sep 2019, 3:45 pm

On my blr the barrel is floated and I’m aware the right thing to do is support the stock but I’m shooting pigs at 50 metres so I did not think it wood matter that much. Your right but .....I should test fire some groups when I get back to bris at proper range and bench I will post the results. It might be surprising to me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Sep 2019, 6:04 pm

Die Judicii wrote:So if I'm reading and seeing this correctly,,,,,,,,, You shoot with the barrel resting in the fork/ring ????

Dont do that. Always on the forend mate
Last edited by Oldbloke on 03 Sep 2019, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 02 Sep 2019, 7:17 pm

, I’m on the edge of the paddock and the not so clever mob was coming over again so I got in position and got one. These no point looking for the biggest in the mob. They are all small .... there is possibly a small mob way out in the centre. Time will tell. I’ll deal with that later. Now this for end support thing has me a bit worried. If I change back to under the Froend tonight I want to do it on a big pig close up and see if I can detect any noticeable difference. It’s less than ideal but I’m already here and can’t change that. Previously I had only ever got 12 pigs on this place but early in the week I decided to aim high and set my goal for 3 dozen I’m on 32 and I don’t want to have to do an all night er again I was really knocked around today and felt all day that I only had enough energy to breathe and no more. To a certain extent after rest food and a shower I feel better but I just want to get four more pigs and knock off early unless they are presenting themselves to me .....I got a big drive tomorrow and got to get ready for the grind again.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Sep 2019, 9:16 pm

Mate keep it simple, if it's working don't change it now. Leave it for when you can get to a range next week/month.

Also instead of alarms every 15 minute.... sleep for a good 2/3hrs then resume the hunt for an hour and then another sleep..That way you can make the trip back. I get knackered after a full night work and doing a 1.5hr drive... sometimes just have a sleep for an hour.... then usually the body takes 2/3 days to come good
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Sep 2019, 9:42 pm

way to much fun Blr243
wish I was there giving you a hand :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Sep 2019, 10:45 pm

Blr243 wrote:, Now this for end support thing has me a bit worried. If I change back to under the Froend tonight I want to do it on a big pig close up and see if I can detect any noticeable difference. It’s less than ideal but I’m already here and can’t change that.

Does the rifle your using have a generous amount of free floating (between barrel and timber) ?????

If not, and it's not got much if any gap, your resting the barrel on your sticks might not have much detrimental effect on point of impact.

If it does have a generous free float it probably will have a detrimental effect.

When I made that mistake, the rifle I was using was a "Parker Hale Sniper" and normally was extremely accurate. (it had about 4 or 5 mm free float) and when I was resting its weight on the barrel I was clear missing pigs at 80 to 100 meters.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Sep 2019, 11:02 pm

Blr243 wrote:, I’m on the edge of the paddock and the not so clever mob was coming over again so I got in position and got one. These no point looking for the biggest in the mob. They are all small .... there is possibly a small mob way out in the centre. Time will tell. I’ll deal with that later. Now this for end support thing has me a bit worried. If I change back to under the Froend tonight I want to do it on a big pig close up and see if I can detect any noticeable difference. It’s less than ideal but I’m already here and can’t change that. Previously I had only ever got 12 pigs on this place but early in the week I decided to aim high and set my goal for 3 dozen I’m on 32 and I don’t want to have to do an all night er again I was really knocked around today and felt all day that I only had enough energy to breathe and no more. To a certain extent after rest food and a shower I feel better but I just want to get four more pigs and knock off early unless they are presenting themselves to me .....I got a big drive tomorrow and got to get ready for the grind again.

Hey BLR...
If your hitting pigs at the ranges your shooting from, just keep doing what you're doing with your stix for the rest of this trip, & dont worry about barrel harmonics.

Worry about the grind when you're back at the grind...

You sound tired...just enjoy being out there smashing pigs mate...worry about barrel harmonics at smoko while building thst deck next week... :thumbsup:

Oh...& post more oics ya bum...!!
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 03 Sep 2019, 12:36 pm

Thanks for the replies re barrel harmonics I had a somewhat ( let’s just change that to ) VERY slack night My heart just wasn’t in it I did respond to my 10 30 alarm and just as well got probably my fattest sow ever .. I responded to many other alarms as well but the pigs have gone a bit quiet on me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Sep 2019, 12:41 pm

Big fat sow
Attachments
7AF6ADDF-5B24-4BBF-8070-E5D1328E7458.jpeg
243 lever gun
7AF6ADDF-5B24-4BBF-8070-E5D1328E7458.jpeg (130.78 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
Blr243