Paid Hunting Properties

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Paid Hunting Properties

Post by ThumbNT » 04 Sep 2019, 11:14 am

Hey Brains Trust

Im looking for some feedback/answers/comments on a idea i have been thinking about for some time. Hunting properties with paid access

let me set the hypothetical for you.

- 4 hour drive from a major city (with a large township 1 hour away from imaginary location)
- Location is an hour from the coast (with cracking tailor and mulloway fishing)
- 260 acres (adjacent an active farming property) with a mixture of open land, semi open scrub land (large enough for a quad bike)
- Can camp there/book several nights
- location is unpowered, no running water and has no infrastructure

lets say the game is limited to Rabbits, Foxes, Cats and the occasion feral pig/dog/goat

A. Would you pay/drive to a property like this?
B. How much would you pay for access?
C. Whats the maximum distance you would drive to hunt game as mentioned above?
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Paid Hunting Properties

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Sep 2019, 11:20 am

A friend of mine pays $250 per person every year to have limited access(on line booking - with conditions) to 4000 acres - fenced into 4 lots of 1000 acres each.
Each 1000 acre lot has a shipping container with bunks and limited running water. They have a bbq, open fire, etc at each lot.
The property entrance is 2 hours from Hobart and only open to walking / stalking once rifles are in hand.

I thought this sounded pretty reasonable - game on each lot was plentiful and agreed bag limits were set.

But then I learned that the land owner had over 300 hunters registered for this land and is pulling in $75k per annum for very limited hunting rights...
No thank you.

260 acres is big enough to test out most rifles and have a decent play.
If this is a property your thinking of trying to turn a few $$$ off, I’d consider a slightly different approach.
Id think there would be a few shooters out there who would love - ABSOLUTELY love - a private range that stretches out to 1000m or so, where they can dick about a bit without having to deal with politics, range police, etc etc.

It wouldn’t cost a heck of a lot to clear a straight 900m path into a safe bank / wall with targets every 100 or 200m.

Add a small shed - bunks, solar panel, battery, inverter - for some simple powered equipment(kettle) and some weather shelter and along with at least some hunting opportunities - reckon you’d get a few takers.
Last edited by TassieTiger on 04 Sep 2019, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 04 Sep 2019, 11:31 am

260 acres is roughly one sq kilometre. That’s 1k by 1k. I think it could be walked very quickly and once you run out of space it’s back to the Ute to put your feet up. I think most hunters would be scared away by the confinement
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Sep 2019, 12:18 pm

In a word, not a bad idea but "nope"...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ThumbNT » 04 Sep 2019, 12:32 pm

Blr243 wrote:260 acres is roughly one sq kilometre. That’s 1k by 1k. I think it could be walked very quickly and once you run out of space it’s back to the Ute to put your feet up. I think most hunters would be scared away by the confinement

yeah thats what my concern was too

260 acres for you own private hunting needs isnt too bad

but for paying customers, seems a bit skint.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Sep 2019, 1:08 pm

260 acres...
Thats a camping ground...!!...$20 bucks per car load a night...?
I shoot paddocks that big...
You might get a handful of bunnies, but if others have access to it, id have concerns of seeing much in the way of foxes or cats...let alone anything else...bit of target shooting or plinking & you're done in terms of hunting...

The occasional property i get on that size, its just a quick 20 minute drive through to flick the light around...or sit in one spot & wait for a fox to meander through..

Nut then if you have nothing else...go for it...get out & about during middle of the day & see where the foxes run & active bunny spots :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Sep 2019, 3:22 pm

All of the above and than some, if it's a range you choose where you may have a number of individuals at any given time, keep the legal side of things in mind as well as Insurance which I am led to believe from people that have or are doing exactly this can put a real damper on things, permits are near impossible to obtain, or very difficult at best.. Secondly 260 acres is very limited for any sort of hunting especially if shooters show up with any regularity, fairly soon you will end up with a heap of disappointed shooters due to limited or no game pest or much else to keep them occupied, I personally know of a property we used twice a year for near on 20 years, it was over 15, 000 acres and after a while to even find a lost bunny was a real chore, unless maybe the property your thinking of fringes State Park where maybe Deer or other game are options, OMHO
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2019, 3:36 pm

TassieTiger wrote:260 acres is big enough to test out most rifles and have a decent play.
If this is a property your thinking of trying to turn a few $$$ off, I’d consider a slightly different approach.
Id think there would be a few shooters out there who would love - ABSOLUTELY love - a private range that stretches out to 1000m or so, where they can dick about a bit without having to deal with politics, range police, etc etc.

It wouldn’t cost a heck of a lot to clear a straight 900m path into a safe bank / wall with targets every 100 or 200m.

Add a small shed - bunks, solar panel, battery, inverter - for some simple powered equipment(kettle) and some weather shelter and along with at least some hunting opportunities - reckon you’d get a few takers.

The potential problem with thìs is that some states don't allow recreational shooting, and none allow private ranges. Otherwise, I agree completely, if you want to make an income from vacant property, make it easier and more enjoyable than going to a club range and it'll certainly be supported by the hugely increasing number of shooters that have nowhere to shoot.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control