A couple of bunnys

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

A couple of bunnys

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Oct 2019, 11:38 pm

Hi folks
Visited a local rural property this evening. Was able to knock over a few bunnys for the freezer.
My mate shot a couple, 1 had a big patch of fur missing off a front leg, some sort of disease??
And 1 of mine had a sore under the ribs, where it looked like the guts were trying to push out, only noticeable when skinned.
Attachments
20191013_003754.jpg
20191013_003754.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 6152 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: A couple of bunnys

Post by marksman » 20 Oct 2019, 1:16 pm

l usually see what you are explaining in hot weather, they are the ones l send to the mother in law :lol: not really
as long as you are getting into them hey Harry :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Oct 2019, 2:51 pm

Dont know how i didnt see a bunny shooting thread... :unknown:

Hard to tell what the bald patch or other problems are with the bunny's without pics Harry..

Could be a sist of some sort... :unknown:

Loss of fur...who knows... :unknown:

Take some pics next time...& enjoy... :clap:
:drinks: .
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 20 Oct 2019, 5:58 pm

marksman wrote:l usually see what you are explaining in hot weather, they are the ones l send to the mother in law

Fu&kin’ oath. Bloody mother in laws.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 21 Oct 2019, 6:16 pm

marksman wrote:l usually see what you are explaining in hot weather, they are the ones l send to the mother in law :lol: not really

Sure thing, soaking up and loving every minute of access to this property.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 21 Oct 2019, 6:18 pm

Stix wrote:Dont know how i didnt see a bunny shooting thread... :unknown:

Hard to tell what the bald patch or other problems are with the bunny's without pics Harry..

Yes only thought of taking photos when I was putting up the post, next time if I run in to it again.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Oct 2019, 6:20 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
Stix wrote:Dont know how i didnt see a bunny shooting thread... :unknown:

Yes only thought of taking photos when I was putting up the post, next time if I run in to it again.

Take pics anyway & put em up in "Hunt Reports" thread... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 01 Nov 2019, 10:49 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
marksman wrote:l usually see what you are explaining in hot weather, they are the ones l send to the mother in law :lol: not really

I know what you're saying mate, I'm a rabbit shooting junkie....that didn't come out right but you know what I mean ;)
It's not full pigeon chested big game brag talk but hunting rabbits is pretty satisfying and has done a fair bit for my own stalking skills.
Are you running a .22 or more of a 17hmr/longer range kind of bloke?
So was the cyst you mentioned filled with clear liquid? I've gutted two that had half golf ball sized cysts that weren't Calicivirus or Myxo related apparently but had this nasty looking fluid.
The rabbit kittens are starting to venture out now at my joint again and I sniped one yesterday morning walking over to the shed...ate it for lunch.

I'm running a varmint barrel CZ453 and Iove it, easily my favourite rifle and I'm rarely far away from it.
Everything stops when I see rabbits,foxes or hares and can safely get a shot in. Down tools, run off mid sentence, whatever.
This is a bit gross but I'll tell you a funny story.

My girlfriend lives on 40 acres and out there they run some Shetland pony sized hares...which are great eating and I've shot many.
One morning on the toilet while she was at work, I was busy getting a hearty number 2 out into the world when a prime plump hare loped into view. There were two of them and they were on the move, I could see them through the ajar ensuite and bedroom doors.
With no time for a classy cultured finale to the schizen I had no choice but to yell some weird German noises, get it done, grab the gun which was 6 feet away and move fast. Grabbing the rifle and mag went well but the 'no pants on, walking bandy legged' type situation didn't really, and I headed out the door.
The hares were 50m away and with an old bed frame for a rest I plugged the lagging one just in front of the ears from under the house... down and lights out.
I was really hoping to not have to venture out into the treed yard semi clad and lunatic asylum looking but the other one was heading for the fence.
Her parents live on the same property, pretty sure they were home and I didn't really know them that well then but there was shooting to be had man! So f#ck out I went.
Hiding and slinking behind the bushes like a Monty python fruiter I managed to get the other one at 70 odd metres in two shots.
No comments from the oldes who've turned out to be very cool people and we feasted hard on hare riddled stroganoff for ages.
Well worth it I say.
Good luck mate and I'll try post some hare pics
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Nov 2019, 12:11 am

Ecobogan wrote:I know what you're saying mate, I'm a rabbit shooting junkie....that didn't come out right but you know what I mean ;)
It's not full pigeon chested big game brag talk but hunting rabbits is pretty satisfying and has done a fair bit for my own stalking skills.
So was the cyst you mentioned filled with clear liquid? I've gutted two that had half golf ball sized cysts that weren't Calicivirus or Myxo related apparently but had this nasty looking fluid.
The rabbit kittens are starting to venture out now at my joint again and I sniped one yesterday morning walking over to the shed...ate it for lunch.

I'm running a varmint barrel CZ453 and Iove it, easily my favourite rifle and I'm rarely far away from it.
Everything stops when I see rabbits,foxes or hares and can safely get a shot in. Down tools, run off mid sentence, whatever.

My girlfriend lives on 40 acres and out there they run some Shetland pony sized hares...which are great eating and I've shot many.
One morning on the toilet while she was at work, I was busy getting a hearty number 2 out into the world when a prime plump hare loped into view. There were two of them and they were on the move, I could see them through the ajar ensuite and bedroom doors.
With no time for a classy cultured finale to the schizen I had no choice but to yell some weird German noises, get it done, grab the gun which was 6 feet away and move fast. Grabbing the rifle and mag went well but the 'no pants on, walking bandy legged' type situation didn't really, and I headed out the door.
The hares were 50m away and with an old bed frame for a rest I plugged the lagging one just in front of the ears from under the house... down and lights out.
I was really hoping to not have to venture out into the treed yard semi clad and lunatic asylum looking but the other one was heading for the fence.
Her parents live on the same property, pretty sure they were home and I didn't really know them that well then but there was shooting to be had man! So f#ck out I went.
Hiding and slinking behind the bushes like a Monty python fruiter I managed to get the other one at 70 odd metres in two shots.
No comments from the oldes who've turned out to be very cool people and we feasted hard on hare riddled stroganoff for ages.
Well worth it I say.

Pics AND recipe's Ecobogan...!!... :)

And ya better do the right thing by the girlfriend...ya'd hate for an unknown video clip to hit the social medie airways from a disjointed dad-in-law... :lol:

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 02 Nov 2019, 6:17 am

Ecobogan wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

I know what you're saying mate, I'm a rabbit shooting junkie....that didn't come out right but you know what I mean ;)

Well worth it I say.

Hahahahaha great story, you just had me laughing out aloud in the Smoko shed...

I use a marlin 22xt. The gun really had been sitting in the safe for years until recently. I went through various types of ammo, couldn't get groups tighter than a 10 cent coin at 50m, but didn't bother me to much because the rifle didn't get used.
Whilst at the gun shop, saw some ammo I'd never tried, Eley hollow 38 grain, little black box with a white sticker. Any how, groups tightened right up.
Attachments
20190510_071733.jpg
20190510_071733.jpg (473.38 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ecobogan » 03 Nov 2019, 9:10 am

IMG_20180820_072957_HDR.jpg
Shot this guy standing hence the body shot and it looks like I'm wearing pants for some reason
IMG_20180820_072957_HDR.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5886 times
Ha! Glad you liked it, varmint shooting has priority...it's like weeding after all.
I wrote out another story yesterday to post here about a convo I had the other day, the net dropped out and I lost the lot as I hit submit.
A terrorist attack would sh!t me less... I'll try rewrite it when I've got time.
Anyway those groups are pretty tight there Harry, are the hollow nose? My CZ wouldn't do any better, if you ever needed to predrill 5.5 mm holes for screwed fixings up high I'd use the Marlin.
My girlfriend, whose passed out sprawled out on the sofa bed like a dead starfish has the hare stroganoff recipe and I'll prise it out of her shortly.
Yes indeed Stix! Because the parents embrace and understand eccentric behaviour they probably have quite some material on me by now as I get around pretty unedited!
Attachments
IMG_20180805_194614.jpg
Rabbit kitten drumsticks for lunch
IMG_20180805_194614.jpg (406.44 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
IMG_20180826_112917_HDR.jpg
Freezer near stocked, they're my main meat source and the unskun one stays in there for ornamental purposes
IMG_20180826_112917_HDR.jpg (563.94 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 03 Nov 2019, 10:55 am

Ok it's awake and moving and looking at me like I've got 4 heads.
Here goes

One well hung Hare
salt and pepper, to season
2 tbs olive oil
2 onion, diced
50g butter
2 cup (500ml) liquid beef stock
2 tbs dijon mustard
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
4 tbs tomato paste
500 g mushrooms, whole (or more depending size of your cooker and Hare)
1 cup sour cream

1). One clean Hare delivered to kitchen

2). Cut the hare into about 6 pieces. It isn’t very different from cutting up a chicken. SEASON well

3). Heat 1 tbs of the olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add one or two pieces to pan, sear for 30 seconds each side. Don't let it stew you bastards. Transfer seared pieces to slow cooker and sear the rest with the remaining olive oil

4).Add the butter to the frying pan and allow to melt. Cook the onion for 2-3 minutes (al dente). Add to the slow cooker. 

5). In a bowl, mix together the beef stock liquid, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sweet paprika, dried thyme and tomato paste. Pour into the slow cooker and stir. 

6). Cook for 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high. 

7). At Half time add the mushrooms. 

8).With 30 minutes remaining, stir through the sour cream 

Serve Fettuccine with extra little dollop of sour cream, flat leaf parsley, cracked pepper and a glass of Shiraz
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 03 Nov 2019, 12:33 pm

"So was the cyst you mentioned filled with clear liquid? I've gutted two that had half golf ball sized cysts that weren't Calicivirus or Myxo related apparently but had this nasty looking fluid."

if this is like the cysts you are talking about ecobogan it is a hydatid cyst, the larval form of tapeworm

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Nov 2019, 1:37 pm

I don’t give a rats - if I skin anything that had that on it, it’s tassie devil food :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 03 Nov 2019, 3:13 pm

Ecobogan wrote:
Ha! Glad you liked it, varmint shooting has priority...it's like weeding after all.
I wrote out another story yesterday to post here about a convo I had the other day, the net dropped out and I lost the lot as I hit submit.
A terrorist attack would sh!t me less... I'll try rewrite it when I've got time.
!

Aahhh...yep...the true test of a mans patience isnt it...!!!...I cant believe how many lives my PC has...!!
And im sure thats why Telco's employ people overseas & have excessive wait times when in a phone que to tech support---keeps assault rates down at normal levels... :x

Ecobogan wrote:[Freezer near stocked, they're my main meat source and the unskun one stays in there for ornamental purposes!

Well if you wrap it in enough of that filo & jam some of them frozen vegies hard in each end, & maybe crack a bottle of malt while cooking, you might not notice the fur so much... :)

(yea i know... :roll: ...sorry... :) )

Sounds like youre livin the good life EcoBogan... :thumbsup:

She got any cousins in a similar set-up...?
(if ya dont ask... :) )
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 03 Nov 2019, 3:48 pm

marksman wrote:"So was the cyst you mentioned filled with clear liquid? I've gutted two that had half golf ball sized cysts that weren't Calicivirus or Myxo related apparently but had this nasty looking fluid."

if this is like the cysts you are talking about ecobogan it is a hydatid cyst, the larval form of tapeworm

That's it exactly mate thanks for that. I shot a rabbit this morning that was sporting this type of cyst too.
I couldn't find it on an quick nternet search...where do you locate this and other animals diseases?
Thanks again MM
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 03 Nov 2019, 3:49 pm

Ecobogan wrote:
marksman wrote:"So was the cyst you mentioned filled with clear liquid? I've gutted two that had half golf ball sized cysts that weren't Calicivirus or Myxo related apparently but had this nasty looking fluid."

That's it exactly mate thanks for that. I shot a rabbit this morning that was sporting this type of cyst too.
I couldn't find it on an quick nternet search...where do you locate this and other animals diseases?
Thanks again MM

As in that specific information
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 04 Nov 2019, 7:02 am

Stix wrote:
Ecobogan wrote:
!

Aahhh...yep...the true test of a mans patience isnt it...!!!...I cant believe how many lives my PC has...!!
And im sure thats why Telco's employ people overseas & have excessive wait times when in a phone que to tech support---keeps assault rates down at normal levels... :x

Ecobogan wrote:[Freezer near stocked, they're my main meat source and the unskun one stays in there for ornamental purposes!

Well if you wrap it in enough of that filo & jam some of them frozen vegies hard in each end, & maybe crack a bottle of malt while cooking, you might not notice the fur so much... :)

Your comedic veins haven't gone un noticed fella and this is my girlfriend over the last few weeks ...'That Stix guy posted anymore funnies on that forum?'
'Hell yes I could shovel some cousins his way'
Swiss Italians mate..romance and party pro's!
Last edited by Ecobogan on 04 Nov 2019, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 04 Nov 2019, 7:35 am

Where is the reports thread anyhow? Can't seem to locate it.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 04 Nov 2019, 8:03 am

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/im ... pisiformis

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... peworm.htm

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agricultu ... cts-people

after having a look l may be wrong in calling it hydatids cyst but it is tapeworm eggs
l got the info from my uncle when growing up, if you cut the water sack you will see like rice inside being the eggs
its a good idea to keep your dogs and yourself wormed regularly :lol: and dont just throw the infected ones get rid of them properly :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Nov 2019, 11:06 am

Ecobogan wrote:
Stix wrote:
Ecobogan wrote:
!

Your comedic veins haven't gone un noticed fella and this is my girlfriend over the last few weeks ...'That Stix guy posted anymore funnies on that forum?'

Professionals Stix...professionals! I can hear your brain working llol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ecobogan » 04 Nov 2019, 3:12 pm

Hahaha! Yeah a few entendres in that one. This isn't helping Harry's bunny thread though, maybe we should start another....how bout...'Stix chicks'!
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Nov 2019, 6:48 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Ecobogan wrote:
Stix wrote:
Ecobogan wrote:
!

Professionals Stix...professionals! I can hear your brain working llol

...Sure there's not a little projecting of your thoughts on to me there Tas... :?
( :lol: ) :drinks:

I wasnt thinking that...but now you ment... :silent:
:problem:
:huh:
:idea:
Swiss Italians Eh...? :| .
.Well...
...I love my food.. :) .
...& i love to share my food.. :D .
...I could do with a party :P ...
...& I am certainly in need some real romance.. :clap: ...
And..
....AND..!!...
...Would you believe it-- i love girls too.. :drinks: . :clap: ...
AND as it just so happens--i especially like Swiss Italian ones.. YAY...!!: :clap: :clap: :D 8-) ...
....talk about coincidences...! :o ! :thumbsup:

But sadly...not much in the way of funnies...the funniest thing i can think of lately i didnt share with you...
That was when i earlier asked about your partner having any cousins--i initially said 'sisters'.... :?

But, before i hit the submit button, i had visions of driving in the yard & seeing a rifle & a bare arse poking out from under the house, ...So I changed 'sisters' to 'cousins' due to the feeling of unease that swamped me when i thought of calling a bare-foot, bare backsided hare chasing hippy who left his pants out in the dunny, 'brother'... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 07 Nov 2019, 4:54 pm

marksman wrote:https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/taenia-pisiformis

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... peworm.htm

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agricultu ... cts-people

after having a look l may be wrong in calling it hydatids cyst but it is tapeworm eggs
l got the info from my uncle when growing up, if you cut the water sack you will see like rice inside being the eggs
its a good idea to keep your dogs and yourself wormed regularly :lol: and dont just throw the infected ones get rid of them properly :thumbsup:

Thanks for that MM, great stuff. Very handy to have go to info like that.
Wanted to reply days ago but late Sunday arv, after working the weekend, the unawesome realisation that I still had about 4 days of work to fit in by Tues night hit me. A few 16 hr stints, big day on site and all came together. Bit spent though! :violin:
Shot 6 rabbits on Sunday and will keep track of the cysty ones for sure. Nice bit of rain over the last few days here too, 27mil, softens the ground for easier stalking.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 07 Nov 2019, 5:09 pm

Haha! Yes it did occur to me why you requested cousins Stix. But as I mentioned to MM I've been working my ass off this week so no ass left to be bare, solves that problem!
Being thought of as a hippy is the funniest I've gotta say. They're usually young with good skin and bad clothes, not a bad shift for someone who looks like they work on an abattoir kill floor! But yeah running around in my jocks n carrying on isn't unusual so you'd have to deal with that somehow. :drinks:

Nicole, my lady friend, is onto it. You'd fit in fine round here with your line up of coincidences.. brother! :D
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tikkapaul » 10 Nov 2019, 5:58 pm

You're bunnies are in poor health . Like a previous member wrote they are cysts and part of the life cycle of a parasitic worm goes from one host to the next . Carnivore eats infected rabbit , roo whatever then gets cysts wherever which eventually hatch in gut lay eggs they then come out in faeces land on grass and get eaten by rabbit or roo ( herbivore ) and so the cycle goes ... some worms like to create cyst in the carnivore hence we don't eat carnivores and get meat from a reputable source . Always visually check meat , organs of game shot/ harvested , listen to reputable local knowledge and if in doubt get a pizza .
Tikkapaul
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2019, 11:53 am

Harrynsw wrote:Where is the reports thread anyhow? Can't seem to locate it.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=4843&start=612

Hopefully that works...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2019, 9:04 pm

Ecobogan wrote:Haha! Yes it did occur to me why you requested cousins Stix. But as I mentioned to MM I've been working my ass off this week so no ass left to be bare, solves that problem!
Being thought of as a hippy is the funniest I've gotta say. They're usually young with good skin and bad clothes, not a bad shift for someone who looks like they work on an abattoir kill floor! But yeah running around in my jocks n carrying on isn't unusual so you'd have to deal with that somehow. :drinks:

Nicole, my lady friend, is onto it. You'd fit in fine round here with your line up of coincidences.. brother! :D

:)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 13 Nov 2019, 6:47 pm

Tikkapaul wrote:You're bunnies are in poor health . Like a previous member wrote they are cysts and part of the life cycle of a parasitic worm goes from one host to the next . Carnivore eats infected rabbit , roo whatever then gets cysts wherever which eventually hatch in gut lay eggs they then come out in faeces land on grass and get eaten by rabbit or roo ( herbivore ) and so the cycle goes ... some worms like to create cyst in the carnivore hence we don't eat carnivores and get meat from a reputable source . Always visually check meat , organs of game shot/ harvested , listen to reputable local knowledge and if in doubt get a pizza .

For sure mate, there have only been two or three with the tape worm cysts and yep, they get buried under a newly planted tree or such.
Am pretty cautious about the whole business but generally, out of one hundred plus rabbits shot here, they've been fine.
Thanks for the info mate :thumbsup:
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Apr 2020, 4:13 pm

whoops...wrong thread...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control