Live versus recorded game calls

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Live versus recorded game calls

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Oct 2019, 8:51 pm

Just my impression. When whistling two things most likely to give you away are scent (yours) and movement. Their eyes and brain are very switched on to movement. Move very slowly.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 15 Oct 2019, 12:58 pm

Thank you for the replies , previously I had no desire for foxes. But now they on my wanted list. the experience I will gain from the efforts on my next trip , and my new level of interest combined with the tips you have provided , will most likely result in some very rewarding times in the paddocks. If I can get a 300 m fox to run into within fifty and then sit down thinking and looking my way I’m likely to get a buzz like when a teenager shoots his first rabbit.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 16 Oct 2019, 6:18 am

Bir243 I am in complete agreement. As I wrote in my initial post I called in a fox about 10 days ago now using a distressed fox call. I saw him about 280 yards out up a steep hill and watched him through my thermal monocular zig-zag down the hill to cross a creek on the flat to where the caller was hanging in a tree about 60 yards out. [I turned the caller off before he reached the tree to keep him guessing.] I knew exactly where he was going and was sighted on/around the base of the tree when he came into view. It was very satisfying to have my 'plan' work. It's the blighters who come from behind and/or at close range that catch me out and spot me first.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control