Talk about "following in footsteps"

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Talk about "following in footsteps"

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2019, 9:21 am

This morning I found the fresh footprint of the big cat that I got a pic of several nights ago.
The print is planted directly on top of another print that (may be) a dog print.
Respectful opinions on whether the underlying print is indeed a dogs is welcome.
The top one is undoubtedly feline.

I also saw during the night a mob of 15 pigs all of which were really big.
Problem was they were all travelling at a greater distance than optimum for taking a shot.
In the daylight I found that they have a well beaten trail and use it like a freeway.
So next time I'll set up at the ideal distance.
100_5464 - Copy.JPG
100_5464 - Copy.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3447 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Talk about "following in footsteps"

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Oct 2019, 11:13 am

Large dog for my guess.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 31 Oct 2019, 11:26 am

Me too. Dog. It’s great that you have found some tramping grounds of some big pigs. Since I got that really good boar two nights ago it got me thinking about how I can target some bigger ones ......I got him at a 1500 acre block that joins onto some other land I hunt. I don’t hunt there too often but I remember the manager telling me that when he sends his dogger mates over there they often come back with much bigger than normal boars. I don’t know or care why .......the one I got over there was so fat he did not look like a normal pig. It’s as if there was something wrong with him. Maybe the cattle supplements are what does it. I think that he was so fat that if I did not shoot him he was going to die from heart disease or diabetes next week anyway. So I’m going to investigate this paddock more and get some trail cams happening..... good luck getting those pigs DJ
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flutch » 31 Oct 2019, 2:08 pm

cat prints usually dont have claws in them... unless theyre running etc.... normal print like that would be a dog if the claws are visible.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2019, 4:33 pm

Blr243 wrote:Me too. Dog. It’s great that you have found some tramping grounds of some big pigs. Since I got that really good boar two nights ago it got me thinking about how I can target some bigger ones ......I got him at a 1500 acre block that joins onto some other land I hunt. I don’t hunt there too often but I remember the manager telling me that when he sends his dogger mates over there they often come back with much bigger than normal boars. I don’t know or care why .......the one I got over there was so fat he did not look like a normal pig. It’s as if there was something wrong with him. Maybe the cattle supplements are what does it. I think that he was so fat that if I did not shoot him he was going to die from heart disease or diabetes next week anyway. So I’m going to investigate this paddock more and get some trail cams happening..... good luck getting those pigs DJ

Yeah Mate, I'm going out again tonite for another full time stint. (11 hrs last night)
I'm gonna concentrate on the cat and the dog.
The pigs can wait cos they are pretty regular by the looks of things.
One of the ones I saw last night (several times) was always travelling separate to the rest, and was the biggest by far.
Probly the grand daddy of old boars.

Did you ever see that giant pig (strung up by the neck) with chain under a crane on the back of a 75 series landcruiser ??
It was featured in the sporting shooter magazine with no real details on it except being in northern WA

Eventually info came to light that it was shot with a .308 by the station manager while checking water (troughs)
He apparently put its huge size down to the fact that there was plenty of dead cattle to gorge itself on.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Oct 2019, 4:47 pm

Yes saw that one. (Hanging boar ) You try very hard targeting particular animals seen on your trail cam. 100 points for your efforts I would hate to be a feral cat or dog living in your neck of the woods
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

Yeah DJ looks like dog the smaller print on top is some four legged animals can have smaller print size on the hind leg than the front
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2019, 8:00 pm

flutch wrote:cat prints usually dont have claws in them... unless theyre running etc.... normal print like that would be a dog if the claws are visible.

that's logical and makes perfect sense :)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2019, 8:04 pm

Front foot of dog with rear dog foot print on top. (Some animals do that)
Looking closly looks to me both have claws.

But then i could be wrong. Looks like that to me though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2019, 8:23 pm

Thanks fellas,,,,,, either way be it a cat or dog or both,,,,,,,, i'm hoping to connect tonite. (if the past elders are smiling on me)
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 31 Oct 2019, 8:55 pm

Its a dog print DJ...

Cats have a very different print that would be distinctive if placed over the top like that one...not just from the shape, but also from the weight of the animal.

Id also hazzard a guess that while its possible, its highly unlikely a cat would be following so closely behind, & directly on top of fresh dog prints ..especially given a dog will kill cat at almost any opportunity.

Good luck
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Nov 2019, 8:14 am

Well, I connected with the cat last night,,,,,,,, but the dog was a no show even after 12 hrs sitting and waiting.
El Cato decided to cash in all 9 lives at once, and got a 22/250 for change.
In through the neck and out midway down the gut.
At least he won't be killing any native birds anymore.
100_5467 - Copy.JPG
100_5467 - Copy.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 3338 times
100_5468 - Copy.JPG
100_5468 - Copy.JPG (1014.22 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
100_5469 - Copy.JPG
100_5469 - Copy.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 3338 times
100_5471 - Copy.JPG
100_5471 - Copy.JPG (953.22 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by perentie » 02 Nov 2019, 6:23 am

Well done.
We have one hanging around here. I have the cat trap set but no luck yet.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Nov 2019, 2:02 pm

Well it seems that certain restaurants aren't the only things that deal with dead cats,,,,,,, :lol:

This morning after sitting out all night, I checked where I left the dead cat only to find that it was completely gone.
I'm wondering what has a taste for it ? :unknown:

I doubt it would be a dog or another cat,,, so I'm wondering if it might be the big goanna ?

Where I set up last night was a big disappointment as in darkness the trees seemed to be much more dense,
and opportunities for taking a shot were few and far between.
I had decided to opt for an "easier" night targeting pigs.
And wouldn't you know it,,, I saw two dogs,,,,,, and never got an opportunity to take a shot at either.
Then again prior to dawn as the grunters were on their way home,,,, the same problem persisted.

Tonite I'm moving a bit further to where I hope to pick up my quarry yet again, but with less impedance on getting a shot.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Nov 2019, 2:39 pm

If while sitting in the special truck seat you can’t get a shot , are you set up to quickly approach on foot if you have to when no other option exists ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Nov 2019, 5:02 pm

Blr243 wrote:If while sitting in the special truck seat you can’t get a shot , are you set up to quickly approach on foot if you have to when no other option exists ?

Not in that country Mate,,,,,,,
The ground is literally and amply covered with everything from 1" deep layer of dead dry leaves, twigs, branches, logs, rocks, and stumps not to mention the trees themselves.
You cannot take a step without crunching and cracking, or being tripped over.
So a quick and quiet approach on foot is impossible,,,,,, especially so in the dark.

Besides, the very real possibility of tripping/falling,,, and breaking a leg is a big risk. (the pigs would scatter your bones before daybreak)

Whatever I shoot stays where it is till daylight.

I'm actually thinking of getting a PLB (for any emergency that may arise) because 99.99% of the time I'm on my own.

Next time i'm out there in daylight I'll try to remember to take a typical scene photo.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 04 Nov 2019, 1:01 am

perentie wrote:Well done.
We have one hanging around here. I have the cat trap set but no luck yet.
what are you using for bait I found burnt chicken bit works well
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Nov 2019, 5:27 pm

100_5476.JPG
100_5476.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3219 times
100_5475.JPG
100_5475.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3219 times
100_5474.JPG
100_5474.JPG (522.6 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
100_5473.JPG
100_5473.JPG (700.51 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
100_5472.JPG
100_5472.JPG (736.64 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Die Judicii wrote:
Blr243 wrote:If while sitting in the special truck seat you can’t get a shot , are you set up to quickly approach on foot if you have to when no other option exists ?

Not in that country Mate,,,,,,,
The ground is literally and amply covered with everything from 1" deep layer of dead dry leaves, twigs, branches, logs, rocks, and stumps not to mention the trees themselves.
You cannot take a step without crunching and cracking, or being tripped over.
So a quick and quiet approach on foot is impossible,,,,,, especially so in the dark.

Besides, the very real possibility of tripping/falling,,, and breaking a leg is a big risk. (the pigs would scatter your bones before daybreak)

Whatever I shoot stays where it is till daylight.

I'm actually thinking of getting a PLB (for any emergency that may arise) because 99.99% of the time I'm on my own.

Next time i'm out there in daylight I'll try to remember to take a typical scene photo.

Here ya go Bloke, try stalking quickly and quietly through this in the dark.
And,,,,,, due to the drought this is minimal.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Nov 2019, 1:27 am

As for the cat DJ a dog will eat them they actually like cat as with the goanna well they eat anything meat also pigs and if cats are hungury they will eat their own but usually only parts not the whole lot or not that I've seen
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 05 Nov 2019, 6:56 pm

I shot a feral cat up in the Gascoyne and left it where I had finished processing 12 red roos.I discovered I was missing a knife so I back tracked the next day.Found the knife and all the kangaroo had been taken by wedge tail eagles heads and all but the cat was still there
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2019, 9:19 pm

Thats typical hunting country for me.

Not easy. Better to try and ambush the buggers.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control