Animal warning calls

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Animal warning calls

Post by Peter988 » 09 Nov 2019, 7:27 am

Absolutely. I once lay completely hidden in bushes waiting for pigs to come for a late afternoon drink at a dam. Big old boar came down. I moved a couple inches and the birds in the bush above me alarmed. Pig bolted. No way it could have seen me - it was purely on the birds calls. It’s also interesting to watch our dog react when the plovers in the Park next door alarm. No doubt animals heed each other.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Nov 2019, 9:24 am

marksman wrote:birds are a bugger for giving you up, why l dont like blaze orange, cows look at you giving you away :

I knew birds see some colours but a quick google indicates they see at least same as us.
I often wear an orange or red cap hunting. But never put 2 + 2 together. Bloody cockies often give me away. Might in future only wear them when with a mate.

Bloody hell this hunting game can get complicated. :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2019, 9:50 am

Oldbloke wrote:I think the Galahs are just say "warning, there is an intruder in our territory and he is hear".
Not, here comes a preditor.

Isnt that just what i said but worded differently...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2019, 10:03 am

Oldbloke wrote:I knew birds see some colours but a quick google indicates they see at least same as us.
I often wear an orange or red cap hunting. But never put 2 + 2 together. Bloody cockies often give me away. Might in future only wear them when with a mate.

Bloody hell this hunting game can get complicated. :unknown:

Birds are super intelligent & are the best radar to our prey...
I think even feral pigeons have exceptional eyesight...

You need thick canopy & super refined stalking skills to not have birds notice you...just not wearing an orange hat probably wont help you much...i think the biggest favour we can do to ourselves is wear wrinkled cotton (dont let the missus iron hunting clothes--there are no ironed surfaces in the bush) & dont wash in harsh detergents with phosphates--they reflect all sorts of light differently that we cant see...
For all we know, birds might see a 'camo' polyester top washed in phosphates like we see white clothing under UV... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2019, 10:35 am

bigpete wrote:Howard Hill wrote about how,if you stare at an animal while stalking,particularly at it's eyes,it'll spook. I've tested this when bow hunting enough times to believe it's true up to a point,enough that I'll tend to keep the animal I'm stalking in peripheral vision

l'm just getting into this with my son, it is very true,
l'm teaching him the importance of a cap or hat tilted down so you can take quick glimpses without alerting the animal with your stare or forehead,
he became a believer pretty quickly while we were stalking :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 09 Nov 2019, 10:43 am

Seem to be having some kind of embedded quotes issue the last few posts

It's pretty normal that when out hunting, being super alert and watchful for the certain body shapes your prey has that you notice many other things in the bush that you otherwise wouldn't.

So over the last few days out rabbit stalking it seems that every bird, lizard, yabby and insect is noisier than before and onto me. Thought I was a pretty stealthy stalker....prob more like a high Viz D9.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2019, 10:44 am

your dead right about the birds Stix
they see better than us, way better, could you imagine duck hunters having to wear blaze orange at the duck swamp, thats one way of not getting ducks :lol:
the best way not to be seen when birds are flying over is do not move, if you can see them in the area avoid them, if they spring you move away and give them time to settle again, you should be able to have birds fly straight over you without a squark, and dont get to carried away with camo patterns some look brilliant to us but look like a dark blob of danger to deer ect... :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Nov 2019, 10:52 am

I think it has more to do with our profile; you know, 6ft tall rippling muscles and bullet proof , sorry forgot I'm not 19 any more!
Seriously, animals have figured out that our upright stance signals danger- Predator! What else walks around in the bush in a upright posture?
I also reckon crows can count. If 2 or 3 people walk into a hide and 1 or 2 stay, crows can figure that out but if 5 or 6 walk in and 1 or 2 stay, that confuses them...try it.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control