Animal warning calls

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Animal warning calls

Post by Stix » 04 Nov 2019, 11:23 am

Ecobogan wrote:So it looks like my 'as if they'd communicate' kinda naive question has turned into 'of course they communicate!' kinda naive question.
Very interesting stuff lads and there wasn't a whole massive amount I could find out on line.
Native species makes a lot more sense but would rabbits evolve an innate sense in 200 years ?. Could prob come up with more naive questions if anyone's wondering

Just read all my crap & didnt want to sound like a cock today...so an edit was due... :lol:

To answer the question...I dont think so...

I think animals learn to associate certian things to being killed...eventually that probably developes into an innate sense, but ober thousands of years...not 200...
I doubt the Galah's are telling the rabbits im stalking that Stix has his 204 & is about to come through that patch of mallee to shoot you guys...rather the Galah's are gobbling out their talk to others in the flock that are within ear shot to be wary & keep a few trees clear of me just incase...& the bunnies learn that sound is most often associated with a transient killer in the area...be it fox, cat, you, me, or the local dog...
:)
:drinks:
Last edited by Stix on 04 Nov 2019, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 04 Nov 2019, 12:56 pm

The Roos in my pig paddocks just ignore me on my quad and red headlight and let me drive straight past because they have learnt over time that I just don’t shoot them but the bloke in the land cruiser that swings a spotlight all over the place while driving along in first gear the Roos hate him and are always trying to jump out of range
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2019, 9:10 pm

I think the Galahs are just say "warning, there is an intruder in our territory and he is hear".
Not, here comes a preditor.

Another thing many animals understand (instinctuve) is that animals with eyes at the front are hunters and not prey.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Nov 2019, 11:34 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I think the Galahs are just say "warning, there is an intruder in our territory and he is hear".

Another thing many animals understand (instinctuve) is that animals with eyes at the front are hunters and not prey.

Howard Hill wrote about how,if you stare at an animal while stalking,particularly at it's eyes,it'll spook. I've tested this when bow hunting enough times to believe it's true up to a point,enough that I'll tend to keep the animal I'm stalking in peripheral vision
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2019, 7:35 am

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I think the Galahs are just say "warning, there is an intruder in our territory and he is hear".

Howard Hill wrote about how,if you stare at an animal while stalking,particularly at it's eyes,it'll spook. I've tested this when bow hunting enough times to believe it's true up to a point,enough that I'll tend to keep the animal I'm stalking in peripheral vision

Yep, I've found the same thing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2019, 11:21 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2019, 8:53 pm

Sambar deer gave warning signals. Honking, barking and stomping the hooves.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Nov 2019, 10:03 pm

birds are a bugger for giving you up, why l dont like blaze orange, cows look at you giving you away
there are quite a few different calls, clicks, honks, barks, squeeks, croaks, groans ect deer do that can be a "oh fark lets git" or "what the fark are you", when a deer barks at you its a good thing to bark back then shoot the farker in the head as he/she looks at you and fill the freezer :drinks:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTaSEwAQNM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItGNgqSBi78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAD3TK5Qdzs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpwozInmXG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TrOf2cNw-Q
l cant explain the sound l have heard sambar using when sussing you out and they dont know what you are, like a bird warbling sort of :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 06 Nov 2019, 5:57 am

What about plover? They shriek loudly at any intruders and may buzz your head? I have always assumed that a plover shrieking nearby at night [when I'm sitting in cover quiet and still] means a fox or cat around.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 Nov 2019, 7:48 am

NTSOG wrote:What about plover? They shriek loudly at any intruders and may buzz your head? I have always assumed that a plover shrieking nearby at night [when I'm sitting in cover quiet and still] means a fox or cat around.

Jim

i've had a couple of sambar looking straight at me making the warbling sound sound as they walk very slowly around, it's a very strange sound
they will not come to close and keep there distance of about 20 yards till they move off, lucky that l didn't want them :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 08 Nov 2019, 6:22 pm

I was looking forward to reading that actually Stix! now that I've come up for air . You'd put a fair bit of thought into it.
What you're saying is how it seems to me too pretty much, l just wasn't sure if I was over or under rating their ability to adapt.
The fact that rabbits don't have a huge amount going on in their lives means their ability to "absorb' new survival information is pretty well dialled I suppose.
In the five years I've been living here they've certainly gone from being pretty casual to needing a 200m freak out zone when they clock a human...which is pretty predictable.
On a slightly different matter. How do you find the 204? Am looking into a smaller centrefire, 223 is the obvious move but my gunsmith swears by his 204.
Thanks for the replies fellas, glad I asked the question
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 09 Nov 2019, 7:02 am

Yeah that was pointed out to me as a young tacker, eye location of predatory and prey animals. Also the pupil shapes themselves can tie in with this. Many wild heard animals run their pupils front to back in a flat horizontal plane for broad but somewhat poor vision.
The old peregrine falcon did pretty well when they were handing out predatory eyeballs... multiple focal planes, '90 times sharper than a humans' and comfortable at 300 kph, their call sounds like a constipated chook though.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 09 Nov 2019, 7:27 am

Absolutely. I once lay completely hidden in bushes waiting for pigs to come for a late afternoon drink at a dam. Big old boar came down. I moved a couple inches and the birds in the bush above me alarmed. Pig bolted. No way it could have seen me - it was purely on the birds calls. It’s also interesting to watch our dog react when the plovers in the Park next door alarm. No doubt animals heed each other.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Nov 2019, 9:24 am

marksman wrote:birds are a bugger for giving you up, why l dont like blaze orange, cows look at you giving you away :

I knew birds see some colours but a quick google indicates they see at least same as us.
I often wear an orange or red cap hunting. But never put 2 + 2 together. Bloody cockies often give me away. Might in future only wear them when with a mate.

Bloody hell this hunting game can get complicated. :unknown:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2019, 9:50 am

Isnt that just what i said but worded differently...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2019, 10:03 am

Oldbloke wrote:I knew birds see some colours but a quick google indicates they see at least same as us.
I often wear an orange or red cap hunting. But never put 2 + 2 together. Bloody cockies often give me away. Might in future only wear them when with a mate.

Bloody hell this hunting game can get complicated. :unknown:

Birds are super intelligent & are the best radar to our prey...
I think even feral pigeons have exceptional eyesight...

You need thick canopy & super refined stalking skills to not have birds notice you...just not wearing an orange hat probably wont help you much...i think the biggest favour we can do to ourselves is wear wrinkled cotton (dont let the missus iron hunting clothes--there are no ironed surfaces in the bush) & dont wash in harsh detergents with phosphates--they reflect all sorts of light differently that we cant see...
For all we know, birds might see a 'camo' polyester top washed in phosphates like we see white clothing under UV... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2019, 10:35 am

bigpete wrote:Howard Hill wrote about how,if you stare at an animal while stalking,particularly at it's eyes,it'll spook. I've tested this when bow hunting enough times to believe it's true up to a point,enough that I'll tend to keep the animal I'm stalking in peripheral vision

l'm just getting into this with my son, it is very true,
l'm teaching him the importance of a cap or hat tilted down so you can take quick glimpses without alerting the animal with your stare or forehead,
he became a believer pretty quickly while we were stalking :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 09 Nov 2019, 10:43 am

Seem to be having some kind of embedded quotes issue the last few posts

It's pretty normal that when out hunting, being super alert and watchful for the certain body shapes your prey has that you notice many other things in the bush that you otherwise wouldn't.

So over the last few days out rabbit stalking it seems that every bird, lizard, yabby and insect is noisier than before and onto me. Thought I was a pretty stealthy stalker....prob more like a high Viz D9.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2019, 10:44 am

your dead right about the birds Stix
they see better than us, way better, could you imagine duck hunters having to wear blaze orange at the duck swamp, thats one way of not getting ducks :lol:
the best way not to be seen when birds are flying over is do not move, if you can see them in the area avoid them, if they spring you move away and give them time to settle again, you should be able to have birds fly straight over you without a squark, and dont get to carried away with camo patterns some look brilliant to us but look like a dark blob of danger to deer ect... :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Nov 2019, 10:52 am

I think it has more to do with our profile; you know, 6ft tall rippling muscles and bullet proof , sorry forgot I'm not 19 any more!
Seriously, animals have figured out that our upright stance signals danger- Predator! What else walks around in the bush in a upright posture?
I also reckon crows can count. If 2 or 3 people walk into a hide and 1 or 2 stay, crows can figure that out but if 5 or 6 walk in and 1 or 2 stay, that confuses them...try it.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control