WA roo shooting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: WA roo shooting

Post by Stix » 06 Nov 2019, 5:34 pm

bigpete wrote:Yes he's telling me he has some special legislation that allows for chest shot roos,whereas all my research to this point says that he still has to abide by the national code of conduct,which states head shots unless in the case of a wounded animal,where heart shots are allowed

I wouldnt waste my time on him...

You sure its not protector of all from lasers .Ramshakl ..?

If he's "got" this legislation, he can put a link up to it...all regs & legislation is open on the net---well some Standards you have to pay for, but Govt regs are easily linkable...

C
He's probably full of it...Call him out until such time he comes up with the goods & move on...

As for chest shooting them, i dont necessarily agree with...just based on the fact there are all too many cowboys out there likely to be blowing shoulders off them with highly frangible small calibre bullets...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Nov 2019, 5:39 pm

Personally I don't see that much of a problem with chest shooting them...with an adequate calibre
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 06 Nov 2019, 6:37 pm

In the interests of presenting the right image , and remembering that I might post a photo on the net , if there is an excess of blood dripping anywhere from a freshly shot pig I will most of the time kick dirt over the blood to conceal it or reposition the carcass ....i think it’s more respectful to the game you have just hunted and shot to present it in a tidy manner ... there’s just no need for excess blood in a photo ..... let’s just call it responsible photography. I don’t think a chest shot roo is responsible photography .... Once while bowhunting pigs and not in possession of rifles at Dirranbandi I found a big roo with a badly broken leg that was dangling and I knew it was in for a slow death if I did nothing about it .. I finished it cleanly with an arrow and then moved on ....at that moment sympathy and compassion for a suffering animal was more important than where I shot it or with what equipment.....but there’s no way I was ever going to take a pic of it.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Nov 2019, 6:38 pm

Yes bigpete it's just as easy to blow the nose off a roo and it's just as easy to do a bad chest shot and I like you don't see anything wrong with heart shots as long as both are good shots
Member-Deleted

Post by flutch » 06 Nov 2019, 6:43 pm

either way OP the guy in question is a complete pleb if he cant hit a kangaroo in the head... seriously...

sure s**t happens sometimes, sometimes there is one in the shadows behind that cant be seen when taking shot and gets injured.

sometimes the scope has had a knock and not noticed and you have a bad shot.

sometimes ammo doesn't perform properly.

however all of these are very sometimes... and given that kangaroos are silly, they sit still, they don't often take off, they present shots for a long time... so the guy is a tool regardless.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Nov 2019, 7:16 pm

The guy can't seem to offer written evidence of what he believes is correct....and that is what's got me stumped...am I missing something somewhere ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 06 Nov 2019, 7:19 pm

l work for a pro hunter at times where when we are culling roo's we have to abide by the code, strictly head shoot at no more than 200 with no spray
(spray is not in the code but its part of what we have to be able to do because of culling around buildings ect...)
when l cull roo's on tags for farmers l do abide by the code but am not made do it, there are no tests or checks ect...
l'm not sure if the code for non-commercial is a recommendation or is actual law like it is supposed to be for commercial :unknown:

l knew a roo shooter here in vic who shot roo's for a knackery that cant shoot for sh!t and never did head shots,
he is a commercial roo shooter and in the past has told me there is no need, his shots are always chest shots and he gets paid by the kilo of usable meat

the reason behind a brain shot is instant death
not everyone is up to it, its more than shooting a dot out to 200
head shooting out to 200 is not difficult if you are set up right and have learnt to shoot and read the animal
the biggest problem you can have is the animal moving/turning at the time you squeeze off the round

its what l know anyhoo :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 06 Nov 2019, 7:25 pm

I learned about the national code for commercial culling from this site after doing it for years.This is how it works in reality.If you have a regulation 6 licence you can cull statewide as a business and all game must be harvested by the code.The factory will not take body shot animals which you can see when it is skinned.You can obtain a damage 5 licence to harvest for a specific property and you are given a quota for that land which is 10% of the roos on it.I have damage 5 licence for multiple properties and one regulation 6.As all shooting is done on private property in WA there is no way of controlling how a farmer/shooter culls his problem chase them down with a combine harvester if it works.How many roos are hit on the road Thousands/millions??? bottom line the code was drafted to show the world kangaroos were being managed humanely.I did the game meat hygiene course and an accuracy test to get my reg 6 anyone can get a damage 5 for their own property.I know the local lads in the little town where I lived set snares at the tip fence line then bashed them dead with golf clubs and baseball bats.I never saw it but it happened
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 06 Nov 2019, 7:31 pm

bigpete wrote:The guy can't seem to offer written evidence of what he believes is correct....and that is what's got me stumped...am I missing something somewhere ?

Whats to miss...?
Its pretty simple to me...show the law...

Plenty of shooters here that know what theyre doing & all either believe head shots are law, &/or dont know if chest shooting is legal...

Where is the law...surely one of us would know it...& if he does, he can come up with the regs...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Nov 2019, 8:12 pm

Well apparently it's fine to just do whatever Stix....^^^^^^
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Nov 2019, 8:17 pm

So...what it basically boils down is that there is NO written legislation at all that actually contradicts the national code of conduct. Which is actually a code you can be prosecuted by if you're not doing the right thing by it and get caught. My understanding of it anyway.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 06 Nov 2019, 9:57 pm

well couple that with the simple fact that we ALL know there are a lot of people, possibly even people on this forum, that can't hit the broad side of a barn despite all their enthusiasm.

There are also a lot of people who want to just kill everything that moves for no good reason too, and I guarantee we ALL know of someone like that.

Fact is there are top grade target shooters that cant hit a damn thing when put behind the rifle spotlighting and on foot...

All in all there are a lot of people who just shouldn't be hunting, should stick to poking holes in paper or shooting clay discs and metal silhouettes. And unfortunately sometimes those morons are thick enough to post evidence of this on social media.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 06 Nov 2019, 10:05 pm

The same crew that set snares and beat roos to death were caught in a pine forest shooting and were busted for it.I was a bit older and when relating the story they kept telling me how they would take off but the cops kept finding them.The driver had his foot on the brake and the lights were giving them away.It was a little timber town they were all sort of related and this behavior was just another day for them.I would not loose to much sleep over hunting ethics.Just take care of your own business
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 06 Nov 2019, 10:34 pm

If I was that in to it pete I would call Macro meats and get there standard.They do human consumption and I can guarantee they would not receive body shot carcass.You would be told to F off real quick
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Faedy » 06 Nov 2019, 10:34 pm

^^^ - had to be Collie or Manjimup....
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 06 Nov 2019, 10:38 pm

Whether you are shooting Roos as a licensed professional or culling them for pest control only, you must abide by the Code Of Practise. This DPAW publication states it explicitly.

https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/images/docum ... o_plan.pdf

The purpose of the code is so to ensure Governments and industry can demonstrate to the community that roo culling or harvestING for commercial purposes is done in a humane and sustainable manner. So whether any of us like it or not, the usual generally accepted best hunting practise of aiming for the heart lung area doesn’t apply. Big Pete’s interlocutor is just plain wrong. Whilst it is perfectly legal to shoot Roos in those WA local government areas that have a declared open season, i5 still has to be done in accordance with the code.
1. Minimum calibre .204 with a 40 grain pill
2. Maximum range of 200 metres
3. Headshots only.
4 No does with joeys at foot or if you reasonably suspect there is a Joey in the pouch.

For those who are interested here is the link to the non commercial purpose code of practice

https://www.environment.gov.au/system/f ... ercial.pdf
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 06 Nov 2019, 11:00 pm

bigpete wrote:So...what it basically boils down is that there is NO written legislation at all that actually contradicts the national code of conduct. Which is actually a code you can be prosecuted by if you're not doing the right thing by it and get caught. My understanding of it anyway.

Yes. The codes must be complied with. The only time a heart shot is permissible is to euthanise an injured roo (or wallaby where the jurisdiction permits shooting them). The codes are very explicit that if a safe head shot is doubtful, then it MUST NOT be taken.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 06 Nov 2019, 11:00 pm

Faedy wrote:^^^ - had to be Collie or Manjimup....

we in WA can thank the inbred hillbillies and drug f***ed morons of collie and allison and bunbury and surrounds for us not getting public lands shooting access here in WA. My old cheese was chairperson for a committee asked to evaluate and vote on findings and submissions from stakeholders and despite her voting in favour of offering hunting licenses and setting up a game management wing of the government for WA the majority in multiple committees and eventually government all turned it down thanks to the vandalism and ecological damage caused by both these in-breeders and the bros from across the tasman and their penchant for dogging on land not their own and spreading feral pigs to areas that were previously unaffected. as well as damaging, stealing and causing untold damage to public and private assets as well as further ecological damage and vandalism. so cheers to the meat heads from nz and thanks a bunch to the meth capital of WA for the morons and dipshits that we all now have to be penalised for.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 06 Nov 2019, 11:33 pm

flutch wrote:
Faedy wrote:^^^ - had to be Collie or Manjimup....

we in WA can thank the inbred hillbillies and drug f***ed morons of collie and allison and bunbury and surrounds for us not getting public lands shooting access here in WA. My old cheese was chairperson for a committee asked to evaluate and vote on findings and submissions from stakeholders and despite her voting in favour of offering hunting licenses and setting up a game management wing of the government for WA the majority in multiple committees and eventually government all turned it down thanks to the vandalism and ecological damage caused by both these in-breeders and the bros from across the tasman and their penchant for dogging on land not their own and spreading feral pigs to areas that were previously unaffected. as well as damaging, stealing and causing untold damage to public and private assets as well as further ecological damage and vandalism. so cheers to the meat heads from nz and thanks a bunch to the meth capital of WA for the morons and dipshits that we all now have to be penalised for.

You need to remember Faedy that if she ain’t good enough for her own kin, then she ain’t good enough for a Collie good ole boy. Or something like that. By all accounts. I hear what your saying though. Selfish anti-social morons stuff it up for everyone. I remember camping at Parry’s Beach a number of Christmas’s ago when a mouth breathe4 of the ilk you describe so eloquently, was proudly showing off the out of season marron he had speared. Lesson learned. Camp where they charge a fee and the bottle shop is miles away, as it keeps blokes like this clown away.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 06 Nov 2019, 11:39 pm

Between Harvey and Waroona.Another fun thing these locals did was to disconnect the brakes on an old car tow it to the top of the hill at Logues brook dam then pile in it and roll down the hill with no control and fly across the Southwest hwy and roll in to Cookernup.They had a death wish and for a few it came true before they were 20.2 thought it would be fun to play chicken with the goods trains,they lost
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 06 Nov 2019, 11:49 pm

duncan61 wrote:Between Harvey and Waroona.Another fun thing these locals did was to disconnect the brakes on an old car tow it to the top of the hill at Logues brook dam then pile in it and roll down the hill with no control and fly across the Southwest hwy and roll in to Cookernup.They had a death wish and for a few it came true before they were 20.2 thought it would be fun to play chicken with the goods trains,they lost

There is just something about the terminally cretinous that makes you glad your own dad never married one his sisters.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 07 Nov 2019, 12:01 am

stovepipe levis flannelette shirt and thongs with a change into blue singlet for summer.Welcome to Australia
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Nov 2019, 6:02 am

Bruiser64 wrote:
bigpete wrote:So...what it basically boils down is that there is NO written legislation at all that actually contradicts the national code of conduct. Which is actually a code you can be prosecuted by if you're not doing the right thing by it and get caught. My understanding of it anyway.

Yes. The codes must be complied with. The only time a heart shot is permissible is to euthanise an injured roo (or wallaby where the jurisdiction permits shooting them). The codes are very explicit that if a safe head shot is doubtful, then it MUST NOT be taken.

At least someone here knows how to read as well. Are you from wa?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Nov 2019, 9:08 am

bigpete wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

I certainly am. I live on the South Coast. The laws about macropod shooting vary across the different jurisdictions. In WA you only need tags if you are shooting Roos commercially. Farmers or their agent can cull Roos in the shires that have a declared open season. No need to apply for tags to do that. DPAW do regular aerial surveys and the roo numbers here in WA have significantly increased in recent years.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Nov 2019, 9:33 am

So...from your perspective...old mate was breaking the code by chest shooting roos,and there's nothing at all to say that the code of practice can be ignored ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 07 Nov 2019, 10:54 am

Bruiser64 wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

I certainly am. I live on the South Coast. The laws about macropod shooting vary across the different jurisdictions. In WA you only need tags if you are shooting Roos commercially. Farmers or their agent can cull Roos in the shires that have a declared open season. No need to apply for tags to do that. DPAW do regular aerial surveys and the roo numbers here in WA have significantly increased in recent years.

well as far as macropods go in general, we have had significant losses in tammar, quokka, wallaby and other species whilst the western grey kangaroo is now beyond overpopulated in comparison to its smaller cousins. agriculture is to blame as most of the smaller species enjoyed heavily wooded areas, but over hunting in the past and extra pressure from predation also has severely damaged their numbers.

roo numbers significantly increasing from the already vast overpopulation is due to a few factors as well.. whilst I dont like the idea of them running open slather on the place I'm also glad that the senseless slaughter of them has declined in most parts I'm familiar with, people used to shoot hundreds at a time on both reserve and private agricultural land and just leave them laying in the paddock.. to me thats a waste.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2019, 11:27 am

If someone is chest shooting Roos and can’t find written legislation on how a roo can be legally shot in the chest then he is only hoping that he knows the laws or he is believing something that he has heard others say .....u just can’t be confident that you are doing it legally unless you have correctly read and interpreted the written laws that you know for sure are up to date
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Nov 2019, 7:21 pm

bigpete wrote:So...from your perspective...old mate was breaking the code by chest shooting roos,and there's nothing at all to say that the code of practice can be ignored ?

Hi Pete. Sorry for the delay in responding. I have done some further research so everyone on this forum can be in no doubt that abiding by the codes of practise are mandated by law in WA. It is not optional. As I stated in an earlier post, the Codes stipulate a chest shot must only be used to euthanise an already injured animal.

The Biodiversity and Conservation Act (see link below):

https://www.legislation.wa.gov.au/legis ... penElement

And the Biodiversity and Conservation Regulations (see link below) are what you need to look at.

https://www.legislation.wa.gov.au/legis ... penElement

These are where we find our legal responsibilities in respect of shooting kangaroos in WA. The Act and Regulations now refer to “managed fauna”. The section that is relevant here is Section 104 of the Regulations. If you follow the link above and read the regulation it is absolutely crystal clear you must abide by the codes of practise. The bloke you spoke to is just plain wrong. He needs to make himself aware of the rules and make sure he follows them. If he doesn’t he is risking a fine of $10,000. Posting evidence online that you are clearly breaking the law certainly makes the job of the police and prosecution much simpler. Probably not the smartest thing a person can do though.

Please note I am not a lawyer and I am not giving legal advice. If someone wants legal advice they should seek the services of a licensed legal practitioner.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 07 Nov 2019, 7:33 pm

+1 ^^^^
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Nov 2019, 7:49 pm

I thought that would be the case. Otherwise why in hell would there be a NATIONAL code of practice?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control