WA roo shooting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: WA roo shooting

Post by geoff » 11 Nov 2019, 6:24 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
Hi Pete. Sorry for the delay in responding. I have done some further research so everyone on this forum can be in no doubt that abiding by the codes of practise are mandated by law in WA. It is not optional. As I stated in an earlier post, the Codes stipulate a chest shot must only be used to euthanise an already injured animal.

The Biodiversity and Conservation Act (see link below):

https://www.legislation.wa.gov.au/legis ... penElement

And the Biodiversity and Conservation Regulations (see link below) are what you need to look at.

https://www.legislation.wa.gov.au/legis ... penElement

These are where we find our legal responsibilities in respect of shooting kangaroos in WA. The Act and Regulations now refer to “managed fauna”. The section that is relevant here is Section 104 of the Regulations. If you follow the link above and read the regulation it is absolutely crystal clear you must abide by the codes of practise. The bloke you spoke to is just plain wrong. He needs to make himself aware of the rules and make sure he follows them. If he doesn’t he is risking a fine of $10,000. Posting evidence online that you are clearly breaking the law certainly makes the job of the police and prosecution much simpler. Probably not the smartest thing a person can do though.

Please note I am not a lawyer and I am not giving legal advice. If someone wants legal advice they should seek the services of a licensed legal practitioner.

Hello from a fellow south coast dweller. This is an outstanding and well drafted post. A rare sight on the internet (i might be new to this forum, but not others...)

The ignorance on display by many firearm owners about the legislation we operate inside of is astounding. It's little wonder we are so easily overran.

EDIT: I also really enjoyed reading the contempt for the Collie Clans on here. Glad i'm not the only one.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Nov 2019, 10:11 pm

Thanks for that Geoff. Re: the Collie Clans. At least they keep the legal fraternity in gainful employment. How can you tell when it’s winter in a Collie? All the girls are wearing West Coast socks with their thongs.

Recently police discovered a huge cache of drugs, firearms and explosives behind the library in Collie. The mayor was asked for his response: “I’m shocked. I didn’t even know we had a library.”
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 12 Nov 2019, 6:05 pm

I went to a wedding in collie and 2 girls turned up at the photo shoot with high vis mine clothing and an esky full of beer between them
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by knowsnothin » 12 Nov 2019, 9:25 pm

duncan61 wrote:I went to a wedding in collie and 2 girls turned up at the photo shoot with high vis mine clothing and an esky full of beer between them

Lucky ba$tard. Marrying two quality sheilas like that..
hope they weren't his sisters
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Faedy » 12 Nov 2019, 11:15 pm

I had the fine task of being stationed there as a Forest Officer back in the early 90's - had a couple of locals place a few .22 rounds into trees next to me as i stumbled across their pot plot... Was a tense time and had local coppers involved. It was obvious that they were trying to scare me, but man I legged it outta their fast.. straight past their 4x4 with no plates on it .....
It was feral as back then and coal was making big $$$$
Rules mean nothing to them at all
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 12 Nov 2019, 11:21 pm

Faedy wrote:I had the fine task of being stationed there as a Forest Officer back in the early 90's - had a couple of locals place a few .22 rounds into trees next to me as i stumbled across their pot plot... Was a tense time and had local coppers involved. It was obvious that they were trying to scare me, but man I legged it outta their fast.. straight past their 4x4 with no plates on it .....
It was feral as back then and coal was making big $$$$
Rules mean nothing to them at all

Apparently people in Collie don’t know the meaning of the word fear. They also don’t know the meaning of most of the other words in the English language either.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Nov 2019, 10:38 am

Faedy. I hope for your sake since then you have shifted into a somewhat safer form of employment.....life does not need to be so exciting. ...Bullets make me nervous
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by geoff » 13 Nov 2019, 5:46 pm

This thread was about shooting roos and now it's about shooting forestry officers

Collie's a helluva place
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 13 Nov 2019, 6:35 pm

Milking the diesel of any machines in the bush was common so padlocks were put on the fuel tanks which were just cut off so all machines were left empty on a friday afternoon.A note was left saying keep doing this and we will burn all the machines.Fuel was left in the machines from then on.Collie tax
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by kb1 » 20 Nov 2019, 11:17 am

Typical laws which are outdated and basically plain stupid.
I see and agree fully on one shot one quick instant kill.we should give respect to the animal that we cull or harvest.
Head shots are worthy if its 100% guranteed.
But most of us that shoot hundreds of roos know this is just not possible.
There is no worce feeling i get when the winds sprayed a bullet or the animal has flinched and its hit in the face.
I personally go for upper chest . Head and neck. Its the most humane way.
The criteria for commercial harvesting should be changed.
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control