On the trail again

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

On the trail again

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Nov 2019, 12:05 am

STC_0079.JPG
STC_0079.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3493 times
STC_0106.JPG
STC_0106.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3493 times
STC_0111.JPG
STC_0111.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3493 times
Have shifted venue to yet another property, and the little dam has coughed up some new customers for me.
There are definitely two different dogs if not three.
One is in good condition, and the other two are in poor condition.
Of the two poor ones, when I zoom in,,,, one appears to have more white on the left rear hock than the other dog.

Taken at differing times of the day.

When stalking around, it is a hive of activity with many paw prints on all trails leading down to the water.
The water itself though small must be of good quality,,,,, hence a healthy growth of bull rushes on one side.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: On the trail again

Post by NTSOG » 11 Nov 2019, 4:59 am

Are these domestic dogs gone feral or cross-bred with dingos?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 11 Nov 2019, 10:23 am

Great photos. It’s easier for us to plan and achieve when we know they are there. And that they are coming in for a drink in the daytime In the next two or three days I’ll be doing nightwatch over a dam in the dingo / red deer country with my body and rifle is parked somewhere on the side of a hill ...so I’m hoping that either late arv , nighttime or early morning I will have some dogs come for a drink ..... but I’m only there for the night I’m not tough enough to wait all day in this heat this time of the year I’ll take my trail cam too so I can get pics of the dam during the night for the parts that I fall asleep , or if I can identify another drinking source that could also be a potential camera spot. Good luck on the dogs dj
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Nov 2019, 2:12 pm

DJ. how long was the camera set up and how many pics did u have to delete ? I ask because over a period of approximately 4 days I got and saved about a dozen pics of emus ,pigs cat and fox and I had approximately 8000 pics to delete (pics triggered by Roos and birds )
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Nov 2019, 3:29 pm

Oh yes, that surrounding bush looks a lovely place to trap. 'Specially leading down to the water... :)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Nov 2019, 6:06 pm

Shape colour and white splash and tips makes me think at least 90 per cent Aussie dingo But im no DNA gene pool doctor.... I have seen dingoes in millmerran , esk, Cecil plains , and cape York and they have all looked like dingoes. No mongrel crosses But that was a long time ago. Times have changed. Wild dogs have changed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Nov 2019, 6:09 pm

Bloody people have been ringing me about work interfering with my plans to go wild dog hunting this week. These pics have got me all revved up I need to grab a bottle of water, a hot chook from a servo , a swag and a rifle and I’m headed for the hills
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Nov 2019, 10:29 pm

Blr243 wrote:DJ. how long was the camera set up and how many pics did u have to delete ? I ask because over a period of approximately 4 days I got and saved about a dozen pics of emus ,pigs cat and fox and I had approximately 8000 pics to delete (pics triggered by Roos and birds )

Camera was set for 24 hrs, and I deleted 278 pics of crows, ducks, roos, cockatoos etc etc.
Did keep a couple of others of interest including another big goanna.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Nov 2019, 10:31 pm

NTSOG wrote:Are these domestic dogs gone feral or cross-bred with dingos?

Jim

To be honest Mate,,,, I don't know.
Even if I was there when the pics were taken,,, and asked them,, I don't think I woulda got a straight answer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Nov 2019, 11:06 pm

You'd be hard pressed to get a pure bred dingo on the east coast or even further inland for that matter
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2019, 9:10 am

I had a pretty rough day yesterday, up real early to take one of my dogs to the vet to cut out a recurring abscess on her neck.
When I got there everything went pear shaped, and we ended up having to take her to Brisbane, where she was admitted for a CT scan and a
heap of other tests. Didn't get home till 9-30 pm.
Haven't heard from them so far this morning,,,,,, but the account will be around $8 big ones by the end of today.
The animal hospital charges are $800 per night.

So excuse me if I'm not out chasing feral dogs at the moment.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Nov 2019, 1:14 pm

Don’t worry about the wild dogs I will get one for you Friday night. Look after your mate , hope he pulls up alright
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Nov 2019, 2:55 pm

Bugga me DJ things don't just happen in small quantities with you mate does it hope all turns out ok for all concerned
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2019, 7:29 pm

Got her home tonite, and on medications for a week or so, then back again for an operation.

How big and how serious the op, will be determined by results of biopsies that should be here in the next 2 or 3 days.
They are cautiously saying its fairly unlikely to be a cancer.

The best possible outcome will be an op to remove a salivary gland and duct that is currently hugely swollen and infected.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Nov 2019, 8:56 pm

Well I'm all set,,,,,,,, been out and set up a blind (under one of those bigger trees on the far side of the dam) and its all ready for me to sneak in at 3am.
When the sun comes up, I'll be in deep shadow, and the wind which has been in a constant direction for 3 days will also be in my favor.
I have cleared a narrow path through the leaves and twigs with a lawn broom so I can make an almost silent approach.

Only thing that is worrying me a bit is that my vehicle has to be left 400 meters back, and I know the dogs are hungry.
I left a fresh roadkill roo nearby late one afternoon, and at 9am the next morning there was no sign of it ever having been there.

It's been nice knowing ya fellas,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Nov 2019, 10:35 am

100_5478.JPG
100_5478.JPG (942.88 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

Well I'm back, and I survived,,,,,, :lol:
Got to my blind at 3am and settled in for the motionless wait.
At precisely 6-30am I was rewarded with this youngish dog which turned out to be a bitch.
She was actually in full gallop chasing a wallaby and I managed to pull her down with this head shot.

I'm fairly certain it is the one in the photo #0106

The other two were a no show.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Nov 2019, 10:56 am

:clap: :clap: great job! Did you set up a trail camera to check the other dogs routines?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Nov 2019, 1:36 pm

Geez DJ now I know why I don't like my picture taken that dog did and look what happened to her :D :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: but good going there :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 14 Nov 2019, 1:44 pm

Very well done DJ. Now the pressure is on. Friday night I must get a dog or I’m just a bum with no job
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Nov 2019, 4:41 pm

Blr243 wrote:Very well done DJ. Now the pressure is on. Friday night I must get a dog or I’m just a bum with no job

Guess what ????????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just Joking Mate, Ya just gonna have to call in for a 4xxx next or a Bundy Sundie.
Cheers,,
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control