Wild dog/ dingo hunting tips please

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Wild dog/ dingo hunting tips please

Post by Blr243 » 13 Nov 2019, 11:24 am

South east Qld Somerset cattle country no sheep hills open grass land land gullies thick scrub in the hilltops. Lantana. U know the deal. I was going to arrive 30 mins before dark this fri night down wind of a dam half way up a hill and thermal bino all night then thermal scope 243 if I see a dog. Then leave about an hour after sunrise and go home. I will set up a trail can somewhere for learning about future hunting there. I might set a trap or two fri arv. Then I heard that the dams are dry but the creeks are running. Dogs need to drink So my dam stake out plan is no longer valid. I only shot 3 dingoes with bow and roughly same with rifle. All in other country years ago. How would you hunt if this was you this Friday night ? Open to all suggestions and ideas. I do plan to check likely creek drinking spots for fresh prints but I won’t be lingering there for fear that my scent may make dogs wary and uncomfortable
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Wild dog/ dingo hunting tips please

Post by Blr243 » 13 Nov 2019, 11:27 am

Due to the possibility of active baits I won’t be taking my dog but I will be taking some of his scatt and urine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Nov 2019, 12:55 pm

I'd keep an eye on the bush fires around that area too.
Didn't Tom Varney (now deceased) operate around there and No shortage of ferals there.
There's another post with heaps of info on; have a look at that, might get a few ideas...
safe hunting.
PS. If you're only going to be there that short time, Wouldn't worry about traps. Scent trail still there, locating suitable sites etc. too much mucking around.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Nov 2019, 8:43 pm

Go to Bunnings and get a bulk buy of PATIENCE. :D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control