Preparation for wild dog hunting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Preparation for wild dog hunting

Post by Blr243 » 15 Nov 2019, 3:45 pm

About to have a post work rest , then throw the rifle and swag into the back of the Ute and off I go. 100 k trip to the bush. Will try to shoot a bait for tonight and drag it around. Bino scan pre sundown , Then comes the big all night mission , Trouble is I’m a bit knocked up after a hard day. So I just have to try to stay awake for as long as possible. So keep me amused please , shoot me some random questions , start an argument with me , whatever it takes. Keep me awake .....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Preparation for wild dog hunting

Post by GQshayne » 15 Nov 2019, 8:06 pm

Try not to touch the baits at all, and keep yourself out of the drop zone as much as you can. And check up with the current program for the Esk Shire Council - they were paying good money for wild dogs a while back.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Nov 2019, 8:22 pm

Haven't seen a post from ya yet with a dog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What's keeping ya ???? :unknown:

:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Nov 2019, 9:17 pm

Very unreliable internet here. Saw a dog running flat out across the paddock and across the road and into the neighbours once I was 500 metres inside our gate. Good to see a dog straight away. He was the stop and look once and then run off at great speed in order to save his life type of dog ... I have since heard the neighbours have sheep and are worried about dogs. Had roast chicken and cold oj for dinner. Saw a deer. Moved camp to a better spot. Breeze is a bit random ... good to be in the bush again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Browning » 16 Nov 2019, 12:05 am

I shoot around the Esk area as well and while I’ve seen more dogs lately, they are def more skittish. Saw the same thing last week. 2 came out and both sprinted as fast as possible across the open ground. We were 500m away and using thermal....
More deer/pigs as well. Think they’re all heading east with the drought/fires around.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2019, 9:57 am

This dog was motoring so fast that if I had shot at him from behind I’m not sure the vmax wood have been fast enough to catch up with him. No more dogs sighted , made it home in one piece. The owners told me they are spending 550 dollars each day on bought in cattle feed and some graziers are actually trucking in water for the cattle to drink ....this drought is cruel
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 Nov 2019, 2:24 pm

a trick that works when l put a bait out and drag it for foxes is to pour tuna oil over it
l dont know how it would go for dogs but it does work on the baits l use for foxes, when l do it
after criss crossing the baits around the area l dump the bait where l plan on shooting the foxes,
not too close, just keep a distant eye on the bait, shooting from a distance
it may be worth a try, it doesn't cost much :unknown: once they pick up the scent they are not worried about anything else
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2019, 3:11 pm

I remember the smell tuna oil from when I fished as a kid 40 years ago. It’s a smell that you could never forget .....if a bottle were too leak in a Kmart store it would probably clear out all their customers to the point where they could probably expect to sell 200 k less stock in one day
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control