A bit disappointing

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

A bit disappointing

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Nov 2019, 8:12 am

Went out last night with the sole aim of getting one of the dozen extra large pigs that I've seen a couple times in a particular spot.
I took the usual .308 as well as the recently bedded and floated .375 H+H Magnum for a trial.
Sat all night and only saw this medium sized young boar (within range),,,,, and one of the really big muthas,,, but it was way out of range.
So, disappointingly I only used the .308 to dispatch this one.
Better luck next time. :(

edited to say,,, I was rather pleased with the shot placement,,, in the sweet spot,,,, which also achieved the textbook shattering of the foreleg bone.

100_5489.JPG
100_5489.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1788 times
100_5491.JPG
100_5491.JPG (937.01 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: A bit disappointing

Post by Harrynsw » 25 Nov 2019, 9:02 am

It's not the destination, it's the journey...you got to shoot 1 and you'll be back out there again, something to look forward to.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Nov 2019, 9:24 am

Harrynsw wrote:It's not the destination, it's the journey...you got to shoot 1 and you'll be back out there again, something to look forward to.

Too right Harry, for me its all about what could be so to speak, if I shoot something that's great, if I don't it doesn't worry me anymore, I just enjoy being out there in the bush taking in all the sights and sounds and smells that come with being out there - to shoot something for me is the cherry on top so to speak.

Nice Job D, last one I shot was with the 222 Howso, about the same size, she just dropped on the spot with a 50gn Taipan to the boiler room. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 25 Nov 2019, 10:56 am

l have to say l would not be disappointed :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Nov 2019, 2:27 pm

bigfellascott wrote: I just enjoy being out there in the bush taking in all the sights and sounds and smells that come with being out there - to shoot something for me is the cherry on top so to speak.

I guess your right Scott,, sometimes I forget these finer points cos lately when I go out there I'm there from before dark right through till after dawn.
And there is that period in between when typically nothing happens, nothing moves, and nothing fronts up.
I might take up astrology,,,, :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 25 Nov 2019, 7:12 pm

You can always count on the porkers to not do what you want!!! LOL
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Nov 2019, 9:28 pm

Well done DJ mate a kill is a kill especially when it comes to ferals I agree with the boys its the chase that counts it keeps us going back we get a little down when we don't get anything but that just makes it all the better when we do
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 25 Nov 2019, 9:52 pm

When we were bowhunting and one of us shot a small pig we would always come up with the old “ a pig is a pig” phrase. It was a reminder to us all that a small pig is better than no pig.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control