What does it for you?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

What does it for you?

Post by Blr243 » 07 Dec 2019, 4:18 pm

Is there anyone here who would have chosen to shoot the fox ?
Attachments
F0C2EE92-D2DD-438A-AEE8-8F48CCE67A2A.png
F0C2EE92-D2DD-438A-AEE8-8F48CCE67A2A.png (23.44 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: What does it for you?

Post by bigpete » 07 Dec 2019, 4:25 pm

Nope. I'd have shot the pig
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2019, 4:33 pm

Sex.......oops you shooting.

Whistling foxes i guess.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2019, 4:52 pm

I'd take the fox, but I'm not a Qld farmer with a pig problem.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Dec 2019, 5:02 pm

surely you jest :wtf:
nice pig Blr :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 07 Dec 2019, 6:55 pm

I just learned something...... never heard “ you jest “ before so I googled it. For me at the time I did not give it any thought at all. When I took the shot it was always going to b the pig . The 3 or 4 foxes in the background chewing on a pig I had shot the day before were as interesting as old tree stumps ..... but it’s interesting just the same that others would take the fox instead
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2019, 7:00 pm

Blr243 wrote:I just learned something...... never heard “ you jest “ before so I googled it. For me at the time I did not give it any thought at all. When I took the shot it was always going to b the pig . The 3 or 4 foxes in the background chewing on a pig I had shot the day before were as interesting as old tree stumps ..... but it’s interesting just the same that others would take the fox instead

As I said, if pigs are more of a problem in that area I'd take the pig, otherwise, I hate what foxes do to the native wildlife, and I think they're harder to hunt in daylight (which is when I hunt), so I'd drop the fox and get the pig another day.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 07 Dec 2019, 8:47 pm

Both. ;)
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Dec 2019, 9:20 pm

It depends on what you are chasing but if I were in that position just for hunting i'd shoot the smaller target first and then have a fair chance of hitting the larger target before sight of it is lost
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2019, 10:11 pm

Blr243 wrote:I just learned something...... never heard “ you jest “ before so I googled it.

Thats "as old as Methuselah" lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Dec 2019, 6:43 am

I also had to google methuselah
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Dec 2019, 7:28 am

Definitely the hog mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 08 Dec 2019, 11:15 am

In other stories....a cute redhead will do it for me more often than not....lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2019, 11:28 am

bigpete wrote:In other stories....a cute redhead will do it for me more often than not....lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking along the same lines...but i refrained...until now...
Id choose a soft, cute petite red head over a big stiff-bristled pig any night of the year... :lol:
____ ___ ___ ___
Assuming i was out with an appropriately pig chambered rifle, Id have tried for a front on shot on the fox to save the fur & been on the ball for a running shot on the pork belly...

If that didnt eventuate...id drop the pig, open it up, drag it around the paddock, then sit couple hundred yards down wind of it with the 204 to get the fox when it came back for some bacon...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 08 Dec 2019, 12:02 pm

I've got one in my sights atm Stix lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2019, 12:36 pm

Well assuming you're talking about the petite red head side of things...( :unknown: )...thats the kind of "scrub patch" im not all that keen on sharing...not into crossing swords... :lol:

She got any skinny blisters...? 8-)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 08 Dec 2019, 2:10 pm

Uh no,she doesn't lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Dec 2019, 8:11 pm

Blr243 wrote:I just learned something...... never heard “ you jest “ before so I googled it. For me at the time I did not give it any thought at all. When I took the shot it was always going to b the pig . The 3 or 4 foxes in the background chewing on a pig I had shot the day before were as interesting as old tree stumps ..... but it’s interesting just the same that others would take the fox instead

Try googling “Aegis”
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 07 Feb 2020, 5:11 pm

It depends entirely what I was carrying if I had my 6SLR loaded with 105 Amax projectiles and was out for foxes I’d leave me pig alone because I wouldn’t be comfortable shooting a pig with the amax. If I was out shooting pigs and the fox popped up I’d still shoot the pig.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brinny » 08 Feb 2020, 7:52 am

As a fox shooter....it would always be the fox first or me....BUT....given that i hunt with thermal....fair chance both might have bitten the dust....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Feb 2020, 11:57 am

At that particular paddock the foxes hang around the cattle yards all night every night .....so not getting those 4 foxes that night was fine by me .... I have since been back at least half dozen times and cleaned up all the foxes ...... now at the cattle yards unfortunately there is no more foxes for me to shoot. I have nobody to blame but myself. But a few kilometres away in my pig paddocks at the beginning of a week long hunt the foxes are usually hidden in the thick scrub. Then after dropping half dozen pigs randomly in the open cultivation paddocks I start to notice foxes either on my dead pigs or travelling towards them .... so it’s just a matter of getting within range
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control