Xmas hunting. Cunnamulla or Goondiwindi or both

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Xmas hunting. Cunnamulla or Goondiwindi or both

Post by Blr243 » 07 Dec 2019, 5:04 pm

There’s a couple of properties I have been ignoring for a few years. I know I probably shouldn’t because it’s going to be hotter than hell......but I really can’t see myself abstaining till it gets cooler and I don’t think overnight local dingo hunts for the next couple of months are going to cut it. Is anyone else planning a mission or two in the heat over Xmas or are you smarter than me and staying home?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Xmas hunting. Cunnamulla or Goondiwindi or both

Post by 8x57 » 07 Dec 2019, 6:38 pm

Mate I’ve hunted out that way this time of year and it’s ugly hot, on saying that you probably have a bit of luck sitting of a water source. I was thinking of going this year but I’ve got soft. Maybe hire a thermal that way you can hunt at night when it’s slightly cooler ?
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Dec 2019, 7:07 pm

I m the opposite , I was at first too soft and lazy but now I’m thinking harden up and just do it. If I don’t ill be at home watching Netflix or starting fights on Internet forums Your a long time in the pine box ( millions of years in fact) so time is now to live. I did not have thermal gear when I first visited those places , I used to dog the pigs morning and arv and spotlight with rifle for half the night ....now that I have thermal binos and scope I will prob hunt all night slowly on the quad , and then sleep in the air con during the day. But from noon till 230 pm during the heat of the day I’ll drive the dams and troughs .....not expecting good numbers but just good to be out haveing a go I think
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 07 Dec 2019, 7:47 pm

Id like to probably wont happen though. Was dry as buggery last time i was out that way and that was 12 months ago and they haven't had any proper rain in 18 or so months.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 07 Dec 2019, 8:27 pm

Classic!! Having the same conundrum myself. I’ve always found its one of those things where I’m keen as when I’m at home and wanting to plan the next trip. Get me out there!!!!
Then I get out there and it’s so hot the unfired barrel is melting and I’m sitting there with my sweating eyeballs thinking, “what the hell was I thinking??!!”
That’s why I’ve spent the last 12 months actively seeking some “summer time” farms where I can go when it’s too hot for the big blocks out west. I’m actually hitting one of those spots later tonight.
On the topic of thermal, these dry conditions are incredible for the thermal clarity. Looked out just before and I can’t believe how clear the it is looking.
I’ll get a pic if I’ve got time.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Dec 2019, 7:31 am

Do both mate. If I had somewhere to go over Chrissy I’d be giving it a red hot go. Unfortunately for me the places I go, it’s generally a bit wet that time of year.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 08 Dec 2019, 9:15 am

Sounds like you’ve got a solid plan, it is very dry out that way but if I had the choice I would go to Cunnamulla, only because the properties are a lot larger out that way, hence more game. Look forward to hearing how you go.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control