Thermal fox shooting...new GSCI S675 scope

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Thermal fox shooting...new GSCI S675 scope

Post by brinny » 07 Dec 2019, 8:21 pm

After all the dramas i have been through with the previous brand of thermal scope....I purchased a new GSCI S675 thermal scope a few months ago, and have just recently been giving it a workout....

Have been asked to take a look at a cockies farm that he has started loosing lambs on....
He has 100 acres himself and leases the 100 acres next door....
First trip out saw 7 bite the deck....
Went out for another look last night and took another 9 off the property....
16 foxes off two hundred acres in two nights....To say they are thick there is an understatment.....
Saw anther 6 that i couldnt get too, so targets for another night....

Here is some footage from last night using my new GSCI S675 thermal scope....

https://youtu.be/Q9kug91rHdk
https://youtu.be/LWPKsp73lbQ
https://youtu.be/qFrWHT7PNV0
https://youtu.be/iLF208_LCqM
https://youtu.be/e4art4KwImM
https://youtu.be/VololEU6Kgo
https://youtu.be/9uL5QH-b3J0
https://youtu.be/gOU2GtkPVM0

A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Thermal fox shooting...new GSCI S675 scope

Post by marksman » 08 Dec 2019, 7:33 am

some good shooting there brinny :thumbsup:
l take it you are happy with the new edition :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2019, 8:40 am

Good stuff Brinny... :clap:

What sort of distances are those shots ranging from...?
(I didnt see anything relating to range in the vids).

You must have a good name out there to get asked to do so many fox gigs... :thumbsup:
I cant believe there are any thick populations of them left in Vic what with the bounty going for so long now. :unknown:

Dedpite the time of year, i cant get hold of one decent fur at the moment... :crazy:
So good luck to you...!!

And good to see your back with a new toy...i can understand the frustration you've endured with the other units--ive just descovered my 4th brand new faulty scope this year--its unbelievsble to think of the money they've cost me with fuel & ammo, not to mention the frustration that can boil to moments of anger..!!!

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 08 Dec 2019, 9:44 am

marksman wrote:some good shooting there brinny :thumbsup:
l take it you are happy with the new edition :drinks:

Cheers mate...
So far so good marksman....Still early days yet so not getting too excited....I missed one the other night, but more user error than scope problem....
Its doing everything it should be so hopefully keeps going that way...
Holding zero too ....BIG PLUS THERE.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 08 Dec 2019, 9:56 am

Stix wrote:Good stuff Brinny... :clap:

What sort of distances are those shots ranging from...?
(I didnt see anything relating to range in the vids).

You must have a good name out there to get asked to do so many fox gigs... :thumbsup:
I cant believe there are any thick populations of them left in Vic what with the bounty going for so long now. :unknown:

Dedpite the time of year, i cant get hold of one decent fur at the moment... :crazy:
So good luck to you...!!

And good to see your back with a new toy...i can understand the frustration you've endured with the other units--ive just descovered my 4th brand new faulty scope this year--its unbelievsble to think of the money they've cost me with fuel & ammo, not to mention the frustration that can boil to moments of anger..!!!

:drinks:

Cheers Stix...

Ranges were from arount the 80m mark to 260m stepped out....
Not sure about the good name but been doing it from when Moses was a boy..(long time)....and have gotten known a bit around the traps,.....
They are thick down here at the moment with the pups running around....I took a litter of 5 out the time before....young and silly and dont understand what those loud bangs are....
Easy to get big numbers this time of year....
I hunted a bit away this year again and places where i was getting top looking furs were very average at best for some reason....
Im after a really top fur too get mounted and compliment the other one i have....also im after a pup to put with them....
The 204 isnt kind to the pups at all and will need to take the 22 for one i think....

Dissapointing to hear your having scope problems as well....
You can have a rifle worth 20k...but if the scopes fail...may as well be worth 20c.....dodgy scopes render your rifle useless.....and your right about the frustration..(and anger)....time, shells, fuel....all come into the equasion....but that is nothing compared to the frustration of continual misses due to gear failure....
Good luck with it mate....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2019, 10:48 am

Yes a nice pup would be good...i knocked a couple of beauties of varios sizes a couple of seasons ago but wasnt keeping fur then.

I hit one at 90 yds a month back--with the 204--due to lay of the land & lack of time to do a laser range finding thesis, i actually thought it was a mature one out towards 180yds ...

But when i heard how short the flight time was, & the sharp high pitched very loud cracking pop that indicated the flight had reached its destination, i knew there was going to be a mess...
He was quartering away in a hurry & a bit of a breeze blowing, but i managed to pull him up with a very loud kissing style lip squeek which gace me a little more angle...

Here he is--cute little bugger...i didnt bother with a pic of the other side of him--although, in a way it was quite neat, in the way that when so young & soft, he just came apart at the seams rather than look like he'd been through a mincer...

I was going to skin him out & try sew him up but i didnt wrap him proper so the blowies muscled in & took ownership...
2019-12-08 11.14.17.jpg
2019-12-08 11.14.17.jpg (496.92 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 08 Dec 2019, 4:40 pm

Here’s hoping your new toy/ tool gives you no grief for many years because it sounds like you have had enough scope grief. I know it’s early days , but so far how does the clarity and definition of the foxes appear in the scope compared to the old pulsars ? I did some reading up on the poi changes and reckon it may be temperature related so If I get out to Cunnamulla at Xmas I will zero my scope at 8 pm and hope that works
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 08 Dec 2019, 5:19 pm

Blr243 wrote:Here’s hoping your new toy/ tool gives you no grief for many years because it sounds like you have had enough scope grief. I know it’s early days , but so far how does the clarity and definition of the foxes appear in the scope compared to the old pulsars ? I did some reading up on the poi changes and reckon it may be temperature related so If I get out to Cunnamulla at Xmas I will zero my scope at 8 pm and hope that works

Cheers mate.....Im hoping for a good run out of it as well....
Image is great...clarity and definition of the target is dependant on the night....as is the case with all thermals....can see fence lines with the new scope that i couldnt see with the Pulsars....lot sharper....but for a scope thats near double the price, you would expect that....

Im not convinced at all about the temperature change causing the POI issues in the Pulsars at all....
I have had mine down at the range on fine days running some shells through...and within half an hour it went to s**t....
I checked zero on it and put 5 shots in an inch bit of foil at 100m....then let my young bloke have a plink with his 22.....after he was done i had a gong at the target end of 3 inches square.....said to the young bloke im going to have a couple of shots at the gong before going home....fired 3 at it and missed it every shot....checked it on paper and was 3 inches to the right....couldnt believe it...after just checking it half an hour previous and it was spot on....
We dont get that much temperature variation here to even get close to what they are suggesting in regards to that being the problem....

Its actually interesting whats going on now....Just read this off a Fox hunting group im in in the UK....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control