Best All Rounder Caliber for Pest Hunting?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Best All Rounder Caliber for Pest Hunting?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 12:33 pm

Hey guys

I hope youse are well

I guess I just have a quick question

I plan to get into hunting shortly

The animals that I plan on hunting are:
- rabbits
- hares
- foxes
- feral cats
- dingoes
- feral dogs
- feral goats
- feral pigs

I'm a big believe in "pest hunting"
As getting rid of pests, it helps farmers, it helps agriculture, it helps the native animals etc
I find pest hunting to be a great service to everyone really
Hence why I wanna get into "pest hunting"

From the research that I've done the .243 caliber seems to be the perfect all rounder for hunting all of those animals that I've mentioned above ^ in a clean, kosher, ethical, humane manner

It has less recoil than the heavier calibers obviously as well
(Which is an extremely pleasant factor)

Would you guys agree that the .243 is the best all rounder caliber for hunting all those animals that I've mentioned above?

If not, let me know which caliber you guys would recommend instead
:-)

(I would much rather just buy 1x rifle and being able to hunt everything that I want with it in the one go, in the one trip. It's much easier to have 1x rifle that does it all, an all rounder)
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 15 Dec 2019, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Best All Rounder Caliber for Pest Hunting?

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Dec 2019, 12:44 pm

A 6mm or 6.5mm bullet should be suitable for the things on your list and be pleasant to shoot. I would shoot all on your list with a 243 if you keep the pig size to medium. Choose the right bullet and learn to hit the central nervous system or the heart and lungs.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 12:46 pm

Awesome
Thanks for your feedback SCJ429

I'll look into the 6mm and the 6.5mm as well!
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Dec 2019, 1:00 pm

I use a 6mm as my favourite hunting rifle and use a 70 grain TNT for foxes and goats. You could also use a 58 grain Vmax. For pigs you would want a less frangable bullet like the Speer 90 grain Hot Cor.

I had a 243 and boy it could move things fast, heaps of powder capacity and fun to shoot.

Do you reload your own ammo?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 1:07 pm

I don't reload my own ammo SCJ429 just yet

Later down the track I'll probably learn how to do it once I gain a bit more expertise

I'm sure it's not that complicated
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 15 Dec 2019, 1:52 pm

338 lapua doesnt get a mention here.??
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Dec 2019, 2:07 pm

This old chestnut hey ....

It's a question that's best answered with another question.

What is the best golf club to use at your nearest golf course? :thumbsup:
images (15).jpeg
images (15).jpeg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 7099 times

All that aside, Your correct about the .243
A .243 will cover all those animals.
It's a very versatile caliber.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2019, 2:12 pm

.223Rem or .243 would be my picks. If you load your own ammo you can make the bigger cartridges very versatile.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 15 Dec 2019, 2:56 pm

Just like OnOneWheel said..

."What is the best golf club to use at your nearest golf course?"

If a lot of your shooting is under spotlight at titchy tom cats, frightened foxes & wary wabbits, i personally think the 243 is too much..

Its very loud, so when turning ferals into fertiliser under light in regularly shot areas, its likely you'll be needing to cover some decent territory between shots.

Along with the type of pests most often encountered, & the proximity to cities (referring to average block sizes), the terrain you'll mostly encounter may also be a big deciding factor...
For example if most territory you cover is open wooded rolling hills filled with wandering foxes, deer, & the odd population of bunny's accros average 400-1000 acre lots...then assuming you can shoot, you'd get away with anything like a 204, 223, 22-250...and buy a specific larger game rifle for pigs like a 308...

WHen you start reloading, the first 3 cartridges i mentioned can be loaded down quite easily & still be very effecitve on all the game in more built up areas listed with the exception of pigs at a distance...

Its Xmas time & the big "C" up north always have Xmas specials on Howa's...so you could buy a 204 / 223 / 22-250, AND a 308, for the price of a more spec'd up Tikka or the like... :thumbsup:

But if its just a generalised answer you want, as is the quarterly asked, & most commonly asked gun question of all time, yes i think a 243 is a good allrounder as a single rifle...
But youre in veic, so dont get caught shooting anything bigger than a fallow with it...!!
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 15 Dec 2019, 3:23 pm

i think a 223 would cover most of what appears on r/lads pest list except for pigs . for my pest control i've found the ol 222 suits me . it's not overly loud so it doesn't spook everything for miles around and is silly accurate . but i reload to get the best out of it . 6.5x55 does for pigs/deer and anything else for me . i've built up a 243 as a all rounder , but it's fussy . with reloads it's not really overly accurate with 87's ,will shoot 1 moa at 100 which is alright for a hunting rifle , but loves 95 sst's . will just about clover leaf with those. i've found the 243 is heat affected more than my other calibers, point of impact can move a bit due to barrel heat with the lighter faster projectiles .that's how my 243 behaves anyway . a 243 will do all that you've listed r/lad , but in my opinion you would be better served by 2 rifles . a 223 and a 6.5 CM , or 308 perhaps ? all those calibers are affordable ammo wise , once you learn to reload anything is possible .

hope this helps :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 4:14 pm

Thank you so much to everyone for their awesome feedback
I appreciate this so much
You guys are of such great help

I mean
Some of you guys are right
I could buy 2x hunting rifles
1x .223 for small game animals (let's say)
1x .308 for pigs or larger animals (whatever)

But it seems soooo much more practical to me to just have the 1x all rounder hunting rifle that's dead flat in the middle of everything that's suitable for all the animals that I wanna hunt

Imagine being out in the field
Being equipped with a 223
And then coming across big massive feral pigs and goats
And then wishing you had your .308 on you
That would suck majorly
(So I don't wanna do that)

And I don't wanna carry 2x rifles around as well obviously
(That'd be a major pain in the bum too)

That's why
In my opinion
It's so much much easier to get a hunting rifle thats the most "all rounder" as much as possible
This way It's just 1x hunting rifle that does it all
And voila

And at the same time
I don't wanna "over do" it as well

Like I wouldn't wanna buy a .308 as my "all rounder" and then shoot rabbits with it
Coz obviously that's just a major overkill lol

What do you guys reckon?
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 15 Dec 2019, 4:17 pm

yeah. but even a "223" could be "considered" "major overkill" for "rabbits."
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Dec 2019, 4:24 pm

Try and pick up an under and over top barrel 308 bottom 22 or go 243 with 2 loads one with light projectiles and drop the powder back to minimum but safe then heavy projectiles with bigger amount of powder to suit the weight used for bigger game :thumbsup: it would be hard to come up with just 0ne rifle does everything considering the size difference in the hunted :unknown: :thumbsup:
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 15 Dec 2019, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member-Deleted

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 4:25 pm

Yeah CrackThump

That's true

I mean

Even though the .223 could be considered an overkill for rabbits as well

At least it wouldn't be as big an overkill as the .308 would

That's why I was thinking of getting a hunting rifle thats dead set in the middle
(This way it's as all rounder as possible)
Hence the .243
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 4:31 pm

That is a great idea

I didn't think of that

That would work well too

That's true
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 15 Dec 2019, 4:41 pm

For the ferals you’ve mentioned a 243 will be fine. Just run a light projective for bunnies etc and a heavier pill for pigs. Instead of two guns, get a decent scope and spend some time behind it learn the elevation change between two different projectiles. Easy done and you’ve your one gun that does it all..
Nice hunter barrel, keep the stock simple, a 2-10x50 scope and you’re good for close in stuff and longer shots. Squared away, done and dusted and you’ll take everything in your list.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2019, 4:41 pm

If you want to get maximum versatility out of any firearm, you have to load your own ammo.
It doesn't matter what rifle I have with me, I also have reduced loads in my pocket or spare mag for those shots that don't need a full-power round, and most of my shots do not need full-power loads, most of my foxes are taken well under 100m, and often under 40m, so I use a 2400fps load in the .204 - basically a .22 Hornet load - and only load the hot rounds when I need them. You can do the same with the .308, a 100gn bullet at 3300fps for long-range rabbits and foxes, a 200gn bullet at 2400fps for big deer.
I do the same with everything, .223, .243, 7mm-08, .30-06, 8x57mm, even the .44Mag. In an ideal world I'd carry a handgun for those close-range and coup de gras shots, but Australia has veered far from the ideal nowadays.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 4:50 pm

Thanks FerrisWeil
That's exactly what I was thinking
Correct

Yes BladeRacer
I definetely agree
I have to learn how to load my own ammo
It's definetely on my to-do list!
Can't wait
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Dec 2019, 5:04 pm

there's no one rifle that's ideally suitable for everything. 243 with 87-95 gn projectiles will do what you want with your listed ferals whilst having enough power for pigs at the top of your list . carrying different weight loads in the feild with different points of impact may get confusing for you . you need a golf caddy to carry different caliber rifles for any situation :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 5:15 pm

Haha
Yes
That's correct
That's what I thought bigrich

Well
Like you said
As long as the .243 allows me to hunt:
- rabbits
- hares
- foxes
- feral cats
- dingoes
- feral dogs
- feral goats
- feral pigs
In an ethical, clean, kosher, humane manner

Then I'm 100% happy and satisfied with that

Coz that's all I plan on hunting anyway
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2019, 5:37 pm

bigrich wrote:there's no one rifle that's ideally suitable for everything. 243 with 87-95 gn projectiles will do what you want with your listed ferals whilst having enough power for pigs at the top of your list . carrying different weight loads in the feild with different points of impact may get confusing for you . you need a golf caddy to carry different caliber rifles for any situation :D

People that haven't tried it often respond with this comment about varying points-of-aim, but it really isn't a big deal.
Zero your long-range load, then learn where your reduced load hits at the range you're likely to be using it, say 50m, 100m or 150m. The ideal is to build a reduced load that drops vertically below your full-power load so you only have to hold over. Sometimes you can't get that ideal, so you'll also need to learn how much it shoots to the left or right as well if you want to head-shoot rabbits. It should be close enough for larger game at short ranges for windage error to be ignored. I don't think I've seen many reduced loads that fall more than one-minute left or right of the full-power load. With a BDC reticle it can be handy to build a reduced load that falls on one of the hold-over marks. Obviously, if you are unable to work with it without getting confused then it's not for you.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Dec 2019, 5:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
People that haven't tried it often respond with this comment about varying points-of-aim, but it really isn't a big deal.
Zero your long-range load, then learn where your reduced load hits at the range you're likely to be using it, say 50m, 100m or 150m. The ideal is to build a reduced load that drops vertically below your full-power load so you only have to hold over. Sometimes you can't get that ideal, so you'll also need to learn how much it shoots to the left or right as well if you want to head-shoot rabbits. It should be close enough for larger game at short ranges for windage error to be ignored. I don't think I've seen many reduced loads that fall more than one-minute left or right of the full-power load. With a BDC reticle it can be handy to build a reduced load that falls on one of the hold-over marks. Obviously, if you are unable to work with it without getting confused then it's not for you.

yeah blade , i've done some different weight reloads myself that have given a small difference in point of impact, or predictable difference in holdover , with a bit of experimenting and tuning . i was thinking more in terms of the variences i've seen/experienced in factory loads of different projectile weights, and trying to keep it simple for r/lad . i myself prefer to work up one good all round load for my rifles and keep it at that . 55 vmax in the 222 when there's a deliberate small feral hunt , 140 sst's in the 6.5x55 for general use up to pigs and deer . and if i see a fox when i'm out for a poke around in the paddock, and i'm carrying the 6.5 , consider him toast with a 140 sst :D too hard for my memory to remember where the POI is with different loads in my pocket . :lol:

i still reckon the range of game weight in r/lads list justifies two rifles . the more the merrier :P
:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2019, 6:14 pm

bigrich wrote:yeah blade , i've done some different weight reloads myself that have given a small difference in point of impact, or predictable difference in holdover , with a bit of experimenting and tuning . i was thinking more in terms of the variences i've seen/experienced in factory loads of different projectile weights, and trying to keep it simple for r/lad . i myself prefer to work up one good all round load for my rifles and keep it at that . 55 vmax in the 222 when there's a deliberate small feral hunt , 140 sst's in the 6.5x55 for general use up to pigs and deer . and if i see a fox when i'm out for a poke around in the paddock, and i'm carrying the 6.5 , consider him toast with a 140 sst :D too hard for my memory to remember where the POI is with different loads in my pocket . :lol:

i still reckon the range of game weight in r/lads list justifies two rifles . the more the merrier :P
:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

I haven't done any testing at all with factory centrefire ammo, but I have read that they can sometimes vary significantly.
As I gather more and more firearms I'm seeing good sense in building just one load for each chambering, but that's no fun :-)
When I went out as a kid I would take at least two firearms, and often three. Always a .22LR, then a centrefire (usually .222Rem, or 6.5x55mm or .243) and/or the 12ga. pump gun for the galahs and starlings. It amazes me every time I try to carry more than one rifle a hundred meters up the paddock these days :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Dec 2019, 6:56 pm

i've said it before blade, we need some sort of butler/golf caddy to carry our rifles and pass the right caliber rifle to us :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2019, 7:02 pm

bigrich wrote:i've said it before blade, we need some sort of butler/golf caddy to carry our rifles and pass the right caliber rifle to us :D

I think that's still how they hunt in Europe and the UK :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Dec 2019, 7:09 pm

I've got my caddy I married her before she could get away she claims she's the boss but that's ok but she still carries my spare rifle :thumbsup: :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 15 Dec 2019, 7:18 pm

To be kinda realistic when you go out hunting you normally have a pretty good idea of what your going to either be aiming to find or likely to encounter. In the 25 years I have been at my place there has only once be a single pig with a litter of little ones that lasted perhaps 2 weeks then they were all gone.

So I having a permit for Kangaroos I may go out and get one for dog food. Just shooting one occasionally keeps them on their toes about gunfire. Without shooting one occasionally they would happily let bullets fly over their heads and not move an inch.

The other animal that I may encounter are foxes and perhaps a rabbit or two. (Also a hare but I dont shoot him)

If I need some meat for the freezer and I have seen deer around I would take the 308. Otherwise the 223 or the 243 would be my go to guns and I have in the past normally shot 100grn gamekings or prohunters in the 243. I have others that I use for something different but the 243 is my favorite Its also a Sako so it has that emotional side to it whereas the 223 is a Howa, or Remington.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 Dec 2019, 7:26 pm

Thank you for your feedback Sungazer
Appreciate it
I also agree with you that the .223 and the .243 seem to be the almost perfect all rounder for hunting

Oh by the way
In terms of performing an "ethical" hunt
I know that we have "minimum caliber requirements"
For example;
You wouldnt shoot a feral pig or a deer with a .22LR
That would be un-ethical and wrong, of course
I totally get that

But do we also have "maximum caliber restrictions" here in VIC?
Where we're not allowed to use too big a caliber on certain small animals?
(Not that I would do it but just curious as to what the law says)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2019, 7:53 pm

Nope, we only have minimum restrictions on deer, 243, and .270 for the big three deer.
The animal welfare act requires us to ensure ethical kills on all animals, so it is possibly an option to charge somebody, for example, for shooting pigs with a .22LR and not killing them cleanly, can't see it happening though without the perpetrator posting videos online and getting into the papers. Pigs have been taken with .22LR, but I think it is on the light side without excellent shot placement.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Dec 2019, 7:59 pm

No you can use whatever you are licensed for. With some thought that the bullet must stay on the property you are shooting on and with respect to neigbours noise wise. If it is a pest animal dead is dead, I have shot rabbits and foxes with the 308 sometimes it is cleaner than a smaller calibre other times it can be red mist. A lot of things happen in the real world of hunting. I try and only ever shoot at something when if I miss the bullet will hit the ground within a few meters of the animal I was aiming for. Always look into the background for a backstop never shoot up a hill and if you miss the bullet will go over the crest and out of your sight.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control