Short range Bunny busting with the "ancient" .260rem.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Short range Bunny busting with the "ancient" .260rem.

Post by Elmer » 19 Jan 2020, 9:21 pm

Thought I dust off the old .260 for some short range Bunny dusting, havent used this rifle for ages so it was fun reacquainting myself with it.
Using 100gn Nos Ballistic tips, Lap cases, WLR primers and 48gns of AR2213sc, it was sudden death on little ferals.
I use this cal when the wind is beyond the joke and it easily shrugs off 25kph plus winds whereas the .22s would get a little erratic, even though the range wasnt that great, I have used this load to knock off rabbits past 700 yds.
As with everywhere else, the bunnies are real scarce and these three were the result of 5 hours work...oh yeah, I missed on too :roll: :lol:
Its a shame the poor ol .260 is almost extinct, thanks to the Creed, I dont really understand what all the fuss is about especially as their is only a flies fart difference between them.
Maybe the Creed looks better, who knows? no doubt due to intense marketing ,available rifles and plenty of factory ammo compared to the .260 the ol Creed took off and left the .260 in its dust.
Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the short vid,
cheers,
https://youtu.be/CoF9TtSXyWM
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Short range Bunny busting with the "ancient" .260rem.

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 10:15 pm

I don’t know how you do it. I notice this time you are useing nosler. All the time , often ? Or have you been useing them for yonks?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2020, 7:28 am

Great clip mate. Entertaining as usual. I have actually subscribed to your channel now mate. :thumbsup:
As for the .260, like you said not much difference between that and the Creed but for some reason the Creedmoor seemed to gain popularity. Don’t see a lot of rifles chambered in .260 nowadays, still a few but not a lot.
Keep the vids coming mate. Cheers. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Jan 2020, 9:45 am

l really like your vids Elmer but mate do you ever go out when there is no wind :lol:

you are very good at what you do :thumbsup: the wind is your friend :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 20 Jan 2020, 10:17 am

Blr243 wrote:I don’t know how you do it. I notice this time you are useing nosler. All the time , often ? Or have you been useing them for yonks?

No mate all the time... have been fooling around with Hornady 143gn eld-x I shot a beautiful .2" 3 shot group at 100 with the 143s but the load was a little on the mild side, would like to warm it up a bit and use it for 600yd plus shooting.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 20 Jan 2020, 10:25 am

JimTom wrote:Great clip mate. Entertaining as usual. I have actually subscribed to your channel now mate. :thumbsup:
As for the .260, like you said not much difference between that and the Creed but for some reason the Creedmoor seemed to gain popularity. Don’t see a lot of rifles chambered in .260 nowadays, still a few but not a lot.
Keep the vids coming mate. Cheers. :drinks:

Thanks Jim, thanks for subscribing....yeah there's nothing wrong with the .260 but finding factory ammo for it is a joke...thats why I reload for it.
Last Saturday I noticed there were dozens of ravens about 400yds soo I'm looking at changing my target animals for a while and start thining those out, should be a challenge :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 20 Jan 2020, 10:40 am

marksman wrote:l really like your vids Elmer but mate do you ever go out when there is no wind :lol:

you are very good at what you do :thumbsup: the wind is your friend :drinks:

Thanks mate, doesn't seem like it lol, a calm day is very rare...if I waited for a calm day I wouldn't do any shooting .
:lol: Yeah,me and the wind go back a long way :lol: :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Jan 2020, 10:59 am

I think the 260 being a 308 case hasnt helped its cause...
A lot of younger folk seem to like saying "three-oh-eight" when they first get into it, but once the hear "creedmore" & see all the hip surfer dudes use it, they think it sounds cooler & follow the 'Jones's'... :lol:
Anyway, for what ever reason, the modern day seems to have evolved a group of entitled opinionated folk who will bag something old to get in the click...and i think the 308 case s a victim here...
But in 80 yrs time, after its completely fallen out of favour & no one uses it, it will come back in fashion & f-class shooters & hunters alike will jump back on the band wagon again... :lol:

Atleast with the 260 there will never be a shortage of brass available... :thumbsup:

Anyway...
Had a bo-peep at a couple of the older vids elmer, sure is different when it comes to bunny numbers out there... :thumbsdown:

It'll be hit-n-miss with the crows...i mean bunny's can move around a bit, but atleast they also sun themselves by sitting still, stop for a scratch & nibble on some grass...
But the crows are almost always moving when on the ground so that will test anyone i rekon...!!

Try scatter some seed & see if you can entice a flock of feral pigeons...they're considerably more spectacular when they go a "POOFF" or a "POPP"...
Especially when it windy...!!!... :shock:
:lol:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Jan 2020, 11:15 am

Stix wrote:I think the 260 being a 308 case hasnt helped its cause...
A lot of younger folk seem to like saying "three-oh-eight" when they first get into it, but once the hear "creedmore" & see all the hip surfer dudes use it, they think it sounds cooler & follow the 'Jones's'... :lol:
Anyway, for what ever reason, the modern day seems to have evolved a group of entitled opinionated folk who will bag something old to get in the click...and i think the 308 case s a victim here...
But in 80 yrs time, after its completely fallen out of favour & no one uses it, it will come back in fashion & f-class shooters & hunters alike will jump back on the band wagon again... :lol:

Atleast with the 260 there will never be a shortage of brass available... :thumbsup:

Anyway...
Had a bo-peep at a couple of the older vids elmer, sure is different when it comes to bunny numbers out there... :thumbsdown:

It'll be hit-n-miss with the crows...i mean bunny's can move around a bit, but atleast they also sun themselves by sitting still, stop for a scratch & nibble on some grass...
But the crows are almost always moving when on the ground so that will test anyone i rekon...!!

Try scatter some seed & see if you can entice a flock of feral pigeons...they're considerably more spectacular when they go a "POOFF" or a "POPP"...
Especially when it windy...!!!... :shock:
:lol:
:drinks:

You could always "re-hip" the 260 by calling it by what should have been it's original name, the 6.5-08 A-Square. Should get the younger kids interest, they could own something "new" :lol:
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2020, 11:35 am

I’m a hip surfer dude???? Hmmm news to me. :crazy: :wtf:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Jan 2020, 5:24 pm

I'd own a 260 any day
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2020, 5:29 pm

So would I
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Jan 2020, 6:22 pm

Lighten up Jim Tom...
How the hell would i know what you are... :unknown:

Just a bit of banter ol'cock...adding a bit of body to my opinion of why the crdmre won the popularity contest over another necked down 308 case...

No need to get all :crazy: :wtf:
Im not calling you anything...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control