Fixes vs cats.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Fixes vs cats.

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jan 2020, 10:01 am

What happens when these two meet if they run into each other? Obviously they are competing for food so would prefer the other not be on his turf If it came to a blue is a fox in a better position to win because of its larger mouth and teeth ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Fixes vs cats.

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jan 2020, 10:02 am

Not wearing my glasses today fixes
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Potatoes » 23 Jan 2020, 12:18 pm

I think you need to trap one of each, put them in an octagon and find out. My money would be on a tomcat winning.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2020, 2:22 pm

I rekon the fox is the dominant creature... :)

Cats are transient wanderers wiping out food source in an area then move on...

Foxes live in & cover a territory & at the end of the day are a dog...
I doubt the average feral cat would wander into a foxes territory, sniff its markings & think "yea c'mon, ill av ya"...

I like Potatos idea...& my coins would be on the fox all day long... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2020, 2:26 pm

I've seen a confrontation....the fox backed off
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jan 2020, 2:35 pm

Ahhh yes,, "Fixes" very cunning animial.
Have ya turned into a Kiwi BLR ??

As for the contest, my 2 cents would be on the fox to win.
I had a pet one for 14 years, and when he was only 18 mths old he took on my young Doberman and won hands (paws) down.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 23 Jan 2020, 4:20 pm

I can show you exactly what happens.
This photo was taken about 7/8 years ago at a property we frequent.
We saw two foxes eating something and promptly dispatched them. Drove over to them and this is exactly what we found. This is not “fixed” or staged; it’s exactly as we found it.
You can see there’s not much left of the fox below the waist as the 308 was up on the back of the truck.
Prolly shouldn’t have killed it if it’s dining on cats lol
Attachments
7EEE71F6-B11B-4EC2-8E92-CBCC1F22879C.jpeg
7EEE71F6-B11B-4EC2-8E92-CBCC1F22879C.jpeg (482.47 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 23 Jan 2020, 4:26 pm

I dunno... but Id put money on the fix's cunning to win.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jan 2020, 4:43 pm

That cat , fighting for its life , would never have thought its face would end up on the internet. .....dust storm here. Blowing like a bugger. Hopefully it goes. I need to get some pigs tonight to make up for the fact that I did not get any last night
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 23 Jan 2020, 8:00 pm

Tough going BLR? Rain has spread them out?
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jan 2020, 10:28 pm

When I chatted to the owner he said there is a ton around at the moment and that I’m going to do really well. And you would think that would be accurate because he sees pigs here all the time so he is very in touch with the numbers but I only shot two small pigs tonight and I’m seeing bugger all. There’s been not enough rain to spread em out in fact there’s less water supply points here now than a month ago. There’s been strong winds, But calm now, thunder and lightning in the distance. A tiny bit of spitting rain occasionally. I’m keeping a close eye on the bom radar. I never had to plan or think or pattern the pigs on this place on any previous trips ... I just went out in my Ute or on my 4 wheeler ( dj) and got them ..... I’ll have a bludge for 90 mins then go out again .... will b thinking hard about what I can do to increase sightings
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 23 Jan 2020, 10:50 pm

Good luck. Hopefully they come out later at night.....
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 24 Jan 2020, 12:50 am

I have foxes and a feral cat problem. I like the foxes as they eat the cats. I've seen them on the trail cam carrying them in their mouth. Last fall I was looking out my window to this stone fire pit area next to a pond I have and a fox was playing the round robin game trying to get this one cat. Eventually the cat bolted and the fox went after it and I don't know what happened. But the foxes definitely consider the cat as a food source.

Here the state doesn't see feral and stray cats as a pest so you can't legally shoot them, so you have to rely on the foxes and coyotes to eat them.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jan 2020, 7:35 am

Its now 7-30am and I just got back after an all nighter.
I think the rain has definitely spread the pigs BLR
I didn't sight a single pig all night,,, and never even heard one.
Plenty of roos but nothing else,,,,,,,,, until 4-45 am when I sighted a feral dog.
Same area,,, and I reckon same dog.
I've seen him previously, and yet again this morning he was just out of (sure shot) range so I passed.
I'll wait and maybe next time will be my turn.

Good to see your on your "four wheeler" Mate :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jan 2020, 8:11 am

Just after my last post the rain come down quite heavy for a while. There’s no way I’m risking stuffing up the tracks So I’m housebound for a while and did not venture out again last night. Time will tell how long before I get some sort of crust on the black soil surface psi I can hunt again. Glad I have the 4 wheeler to get around so I’ll just leave hilux at home base. In many months here I have never seen a paddock after rain so I can imagine the pigs will be taking advantage of the Soft ground and rooting it up like mad. It’s overcast at 9 am I might take shanks pony and go to a bush paddock and just walk a cross wind with the dog until he sticks his nose in the air. Never really needed him in that regard here but I’ll give it a lash I think ........good to hear u saw another dog dj ...well done with the patience of not taking a shot if he was a bit far out. I can imagine that he might b ten times harder to find again with the crack of a rifle across his back.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Jan 2020, 10:29 am

Maybe someone's cleaned them up BLR...?

Hey...maybe while you're not doing much you could fix the foxes...or is that fox the fixes...err...foxes the total..
Hang on...fix the title...yea thats it.. .!! ;) ....fix the title...!!
:)

Hope you get some luck out there mate... :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jan 2020, 11:31 am

There is actually too many here for somebody to have cleaned them out ......I just have to work them out. I would really like to get a photo opportunity on that big mob of pigs that was seen here a few days ago. The ground felt a bit too soft when I had a bare foot walk around the yard so I gave my morning hunt plan a miss for a bit Had a snooze and lit a fire from eucalyptus twigs to fry up some fish fingers ...... ( power company still not sorted out the electricity). Too early for a beer. I remembered that I had a massive 12 volt battery here so I have connected it up to my fridge. It’s humming away nicely so hopefully that will stop my food from going off while I wait for the power to return. All the rain and over cast has made this mid summers day delightfully cool
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control