Friday night field report 2

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Friday night field report 2

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 3:42 am

Just got in. Quiet night. Saw 4 pigs and got 3 of them.
Will weigh them in the morning. This little piggie won’t be going to market....

https://youtu.be/7ETBm7woC0k
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Friday night field report 2

Post by JimTom » 25 Jan 2020, 7:51 am

Nice shot mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Jan 2020, 10:14 am

nice shooting mate :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 10:39 am

Ferris. U goin out again for the long weekend?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 12:50 pm

Yeah mate. Have a leave pass from the wife all weekend so I’m not gonna let that slide.
Went back this morning and weighed our three pigs. Biggest went 119kg, a sow that was 98 and another boar that was 90.....
Have about three properties to choose from so not sure what our plans are yet...
Attachments
46419E51-D0CB-46F8-9E6A-B6326914E92F.jpeg
46419E51-D0CB-46F8-9E6A-B6326914E92F.jpeg (989.83 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
D32439FA-A60F-4B9D-A4F5-24463F779C27.jpeg
D32439FA-A60F-4B9D-A4F5-24463F779C27.jpeg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 5146 times
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 12:54 pm

Dug the bullet out as well. It’s in the car. Can put a pic of that up later as well if needed
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 12:55 pm

Where did you buy your scales from or if they belong to the primary producer can u find out where he got them from ? Been chaseig a set for a while
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 2:26 pm

Got them from Bunnings mate. Think they were $70-ish. I bought them for the owner and just leave them there since that’s where we get the biggest ones
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jan 2020, 2:36 pm

Het there Ferris,,,,, are you sure that pic isn't taken in the botanic gardens Mate ??
That grass looks pretty lush.

:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 2:44 pm

This honey hole isn’t far from Brisbane..... They’ve had a LOT of rain. You wouldn’t recognize it from two weeks ago
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 4:04 pm

Thanks Ferris. I searched their site 72 bucks , and with my discount probably about 70 so spot on. Can’t believe I finally found them at my local Bunnings when I been trolling the net with no result in
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 4:23 pm

All good mate. Good lie detector. We’ve been under-estimating our pigs it would seem! I’d picked him for 90kg when we got him....
Don’t mean to brag but we’ve got a lot of pigs a lot bigger than him....
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 4:38 pm

Check this out BLR. Some of the toys we were playing with last night.

Lithgow 6.5cm, MDT chassis, Pulsar Trail xp50 LRF
Tikka t3x .308, MDT chassis, Pulsar Thermion XP38
The Fix .308 (made by a company called “the Q”), Night
Tech MS42 scope
Pulsar Helion xp28 monocle
Pulsar Accolade XP50LRF
Attachments
13B76F72-F671-428E-A916-CCD751357D71.jpeg
13B76F72-F671-428E-A916-CCD751357D71.jpeg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 5097 times
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 4:47 pm

Nothing wrong with a little bit of bragging
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm

They aren’t all mine mate.... 2 of the items there are mine. The rest belongs to a couple of the lads.
Many years of savings there and that gear gets used a LOT! It’s what we love doing and I can tell you, the property owners where we go love it as well
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 6:49 pm

Most important of all I think is that it gets used, instead of just being oiled and looked at
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 6:57 pm

Not wet yet. Just a few spits here but violent wind is howling through the trees like a mother , dust storms are circling , dark clouds are boiling . I don’t mind if it all hits me just hope it goes soon after. I had been waiting all day to get on the 4 wheeler and make my way across the plains ....... there def won’t be any roo shooters out tonight Actually, a mate of the owners is sposed to be coming out for a shoot tonight. Not sure if this weather has scared him away or not
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 7:13 pm

Can I ask what region you’re in BLR?
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 25 Jan 2020, 9:27 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:Check this out BLR. Some of the toys we were playing with last night.

Lithgow 6.5cm, MDT chassis, Pulsar Trail xp50 LRF
Tikka t3x .308, MDT chassis, Pulsar Thermion XP38
The Fix .308 (made by a company called “the Q”), Night
Tech MS42 scope
Pulsar Helion xp28 monocle
Pulsar Accolade XP50LRF

Ferris which of those scopes has the best performance ?
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 9:53 pm

The Thermion or Trail are def better than Night-tech (just my opinion)
I really like the night-tech, and on paper it’s a great buy. It’s also great to look through BUT, the battery indicator on this one has been playing up and that was its first time on a 308 last night and it kept turning off every time you fired the gun, (recoil sensitive?) so it’s going back to the store this week.
As for the Trail vs Thermion....hmmm, they both rock, but if it was going on smaller cal (say a .243 or less I’d get the Thermion, if it’s for a larger cal (say a Creed, 270 or 308) I’d get the trail. It just seems to have a bit better eye relief. If you need a range finder the Trail has that as well.
You wouldn’t be disappointed with either though.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 25 Jan 2020, 10:45 pm

Good shot FW... :thumbsup:

The footage looks good...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Jan 2020, 11:02 pm

:drinks: Thanks mate
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jan 2020, 11:19 pm

Ferrisweil wrote: BUT, the battery indicator on this one has been playing up and that was its first time on a 308 last night and it kept turning off every time you fired the gun, (recoil sensitive?) so it’s going back to the store this week.

Ahhhhh yes,,,, I've had similar problems with a rifle mounted camera.
Easy fix,,,,,, (if possible,,, I'm not familiar with the model) but if you can run/power the unit from an external battery pack via a lead, you can put it alongside the rifle or in your pocket.
In other words isolate the battery/s from the recoil. The recoil bounces the batteries in their mounted position thus causing momentary loss of power.
Although only for the briefest moment,,,, it is enough for the unit to shut down. :thumbsup:

So if you took it back to the store, it would test AOK,,,, unless it is rated for such recoil in which case the store/distributor would have to rectify things.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 26 Jan 2020, 6:56 am

Ahhh cool, thanks mate. Hadn’t thought of that. I’ll pass this info onto the owner. I think he’s hoping to return it and upgrade to Pulsar or ATN...
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2020, 8:38 am

Good point DJ. I never experienced it but I was thinking it might be the unit itself not being up to the recoil but when the battery itself suffers an immediate serious jolt it’s easier to understand how that could happen
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 26 Jan 2020, 9:25 am

Ferrisweil wrote:The Thermion or Trail are def better than Night-tech (just my opinion)
I really like the night-tech, and on paper it’s a great buy. It’s also great to look through BUT, the battery indicator on this one has been playing up and that was its first time on a 308 last night and it kept turning off every time you fired the gun, (recoil sensitive?) so it’s going back to the store this week.
As for the Trail vs Thermion....hmmm, they both rock, but if it was going on smaller cal (say a .243 or less I’d get the Thermion, if it’s for a larger cal (say a Creed, 270 or 308) I’d get the trail. It just seems to have a bit better eye relief. If you need a range finder the Trail has that as well.
You wouldn’t be disappointed with either though.

Thanks Ferris appreciate the information. I’ve a got a pulsar monocular which has made a real different in the way I hunt just need a thermal scope.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 26 Jan 2020, 9:47 am

Seems you’ve taken the same path as me 8x57. Saved the bikkies for bloody ages to get a monocle. Loved it so much and decided I needed a scope as well. Kept using torches still while saving for the scope.
If youre out at night a lot, it’s well worth it!!
We thought we did alright for years using torches/conventional methods but thermal taken it to new levels.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2020, 9:58 am

Even though I had a thermal at the time I did an experiment one night on a mob of small pigs that I could not be bothered shooting I flashed red light at them and shook it around madly to create shadows I got no reaction they just kept feeding. But I could not see well at all if I was useing a rifle to shoot one. Then I tried the green light to see if I could Illuminate one well enough to place a good shot but within half a second of the light hitting them they were bolting for the hills as if their lives depended on it ... thermal means I’m going to be shooting at a relaxed animal that has no idea of my presence so I can take the time under no pressure and place a bullet perfectly
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 26 Jan 2020, 10:22 am

[quote="Ferrisweil"]Seems you’ve taken the same path as me 8x57. Saved the bikkies for bloody ages to get a monocle. Loved it so much and decided I needed a scope as well. Kept using torches still while saving for the scope.
If youre out at night a lot, it’s well worth it!!
We thought we did alright for years using torches/conventional methods but thermal taken it to new levels.[/quote

They’re certainly not cheap but definitely produce the results, hunting’s getting more popular every year so more hunting pressure, you’ve got to be one step ahead of the crowd these days. It’s interesting to swing a white light around and see nothing then switch on the thermal and see wants really out there.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2020, 1:48 pm

The range is what really does it for me ( often further than I wish to walk ) and I think all the hunting on open barren ground that I do at night is just the perfect scenario for a good thermal. Might take me a while to identify , but at least I know it’s there so I’m on to it The big spotlights I see people useing from vehicles is such a telegraph to the creatures we pursue. Most nights out here I see glowing spotlights out here arcing acrosss the landscape and I reckon some of them are probably 5 k away
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control