Who uses a gut hook when skinning

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Who uses a gut hook when skinning

Post by Blr243 » 01 Feb 2020, 6:56 pm

For skinning and boning out I use havalon knives with super sharp replacement stainless blades And i 99 per cent of th time when cutting thru the skin do so from the inside out so I don’t dull my blade on the abrasive tough furr. Running up the belly and inside the legs can b done quick and easy but with hung animals I find cutting around the skinny legs time consuming if I want to save my blade and cut from the inside out I’ve been thinking of a gut hook that may come in use for the belly but for me it’s primarilly intended for circling round the legs just above the hocks. I googled gut hooks and I found havalon do a multi tool that has a gut hook and the same replacement blade system that i favour. So I bought one. So to any guy hook owners out there . Do u use them and is it something that you’ll work on the legs ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Who uses a gut hook when skinning

Post by Blr243 » 01 Feb 2020, 7:26 pm

I just saw the raptor razor on YouTube , Looks useful
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 01 Feb 2020, 9:30 pm

a very useful tool is the gut hook Blr :thumbsup:
its very useful if you want to do straight cuts getting the skin off
mine is similar to this shape with small handle that fits into your hand nicely when making cuts :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Feb 2020, 2:10 am

100_5536.JPG
100_5536.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1757 times

Ya shoulda asked when you was here Mate.
This is mine and I find it to be excellent.
You could've shot that big one that was under the tree in the shade,,,, and tried it out.
:D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Feb 2020, 12:33 pm

Ta for the replies , Dj , unless he is consuming to much grass , is there a part of you that prefers to leave him be , and enjoy the shade every day , as summer rolls on by?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control