what does it for you version 2

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

what does it for you version 2

Post by marksman » 08 Feb 2020, 9:37 pm

so would you take this shot when out deer hunting and deer are just coming out of the bush or not, cat or deer you choose
pictures are taken with the pard nv007

deer at 600

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: what does it for you version 2

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2020, 10:37 pm

Cat, every time
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2020, 11:56 pm

Cat, no question at all.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Feb 2020, 7:54 am

Deer at 600 ? Then definitely the cat
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Feb 2020, 7:59 am

Now, if the deer was at 150!?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Potatoes » 09 Feb 2020, 7:59 am

I would line the cat and the deer up to get two with one shot.

But seriously, neither, because I have no hunting ground yet.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Feb 2020, 10:29 am

Ah the question that poses so many other questions to set the scene...

Firstly, i wouldnt shoot a deer at 600...and it would appear there is plenty of time & space to get closer to them for a nice head shot.
But id sit there a watch for a while...take it all in...

There is also the question of what i was out for...& im guessing you werent out on the prowl for a bit of pussy in the hay marksman...but me on the other hand... 8-)

:lol:

Id have to take the conditions into account...

They are in different directions, & the conditions & distance those deer are at could mean they dont hear the shot that sends the cat into a spectacular double pike triple twist off of the post... :)
And the cat doesnt appear in full flight frisky mode, so i might be parked not too far away & be able to get the 22 & impregnate 40 grains of subsonic lead into the brain of that cat, then go about a nice long stalk to the deer with a centrefire... :clap:

If i had that kind of regular access to the deer there & it wasnt a 3 hour drive, id consider the cat...
If it was a 3 hr drive & was a deer hunt...the deer...then get the cat with the pard later on eating the bait i left for it... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 09 Feb 2020, 10:55 am

Oldbloke wrote:Now, if the deer was at 150!?

Boom ! :lol:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 09 Feb 2020, 11:21 am

The cat , because he is asking for it , and has presented himself , on a pedestal ..... the deer is too far away ...... I need a deer to be up in my face before I can get excited about it. Pretty sure I won’t shoot a deer again unless I’m taking the lot to eat
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 Feb 2020, 3:10 pm

well firstly the shot from where l was waiting is a 63" holdover, 84 clicks up on the nightforce and very doable with my setup
but l stopped doing these shots because l want to eat the lot :thumbsup: no waste from bruises ect ...

and you are spot on Stix because l was asked to come onto the property to shoot some deer as they were a distraction to the workers :lol:
so l got closer to the deer and shot a mom and then her daughter in the brain to fill the freezer,
l told the land owner about the cat and he is going to put some fox traps about to try and catch it :drinks:
more snags but this time italian spicy :thumbsup:

normally cats come before everything including deer they are the worst pest we have :thumbsdown:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Feb 2020, 5:43 pm

Id like to know something marksman...

That being...just how dam big is your freezer...???

I ask because of a couple of things ive observed...
One being, you only just buthchered out a whole young buck a week or two ago 7 filled the freezer..... :huh:
And the fact you only have two,,,yep...2 sausages on your plate... :? ...

must either mean you have a gigantic freezer...or your missus is not one to be messed with when it comes to eating copious quantities of venison sausages,...
:problem:

Last time i was out, i came across a flighty young fallow family...young buck with prob 6" of horn, a pretty looking doe & a youngin...
I dont have much experience with these creatures, but ive only ever seen the young ones follow the path & behaviour of the parents...

In this instance however, the youngser was the flighty one & after bouncing around a bit & acting very unsettled, it took flight...The parents followed it, but they were quite calm with the spotlight on them...
Interesting & weird in a way...

I couldnt get a shot on any because of the youngin bouncing around...

Had a bit of rain there marksman.. :thumbsup: ....the dirt looks damp & the grass very green......
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Feb 2020, 7:24 pm

they've had a heap of rain there Stix
the farmer was worried if my car would make it up the hill :lol:
l have 3 freezers in the shed a cold room, 1 freezer in the house ,
l also share with the farmers and take the bones/off cuts back for there dogs, no waste or very little

when shooting the family of deer you have to look for which one is the alpha female in a group and drop her sometimes the rest will be wondering what to do without having a leader tell them then you get another shot or the young one will hang around to be shot as well, if there is a spiker that one will be the best for a feed but if you are going to shoot a mum and young always shoot mum first as the young will wait for mum and stand looking for danger giving you a good still easy shot :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 09 Feb 2020, 9:20 pm

That cat, sitting on a post like that..... With any centrefire, that is going to be a piss funny shot! Hands down that’s the shot to take lol
And 600m deer; that’s a 400-500m stalk. That’s the fun bit
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Feb 2020, 9:32 pm

I have some thermal vid of a cat shot reaction when it was drinking at a waterhole .....gotta learn how to post YouTube vid
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 11 Feb 2020, 3:22 pm

Simple answer...How do you resist a shot at a cat like that?.....To me, cats are no 1 target, them motor -x riders :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 16 Feb 2020, 1:40 am

Ummm....what is a "deer"? We don't have them in WA. Are they anything like a Yowie or a Bunyip?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Feb 2020, 7:55 pm

That cat was asking for it sitting like that but you can’t eat a cat...argh. Craps...heads...no, tails...argh s**t. Ok, Not 100% sure - but something there is getting shot.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 18 Feb 2020, 11:49 am

what do you mean "you cant eat cat" Tassie :lol:

dim sim's mate dim sim :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control