Cat and fox - both needing shooting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Cat and fox - both needing shooting

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2020, 12:30 pm

I heard about a woolgrower that was losing sheep and he worked out that it was a pack of huskies belonging to a bloke in town. He approached the bloke but he denied his huskies were out killing at night So next time the huskies went on a killing spree the woolgrower grabbed his rifle and a spotlight and he shot all the huskies in one session. Then he dumped all the huskies on the owners front patio .....not avery discrete move but he stopped losing sheep
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2020, 2:05 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day Die Judicii,

This vixen comes to the bait from different directions as well as different times and is clearly trying to get wind of me. Last week she sat for nearly four minutes up the paddock at about 100 yards as I peeked out from between two large round bales viewing her through my thermal monocular. I waited for her to come in closer, but she didn't. I raised the rifle but she started walking off home. She has also tracked around the dam at water's edge to try to get wind of me where I sat on the dam wall. She is very smart and so far has won every round over the last 4 weeks or so. She came to the bait last night 10 minutes after I packed up and went to bed and the damn cat didn't front!
Jim

You could outsmart her by setting traps around the bait station,,, she's obviously more intent on you, so a trap would get her.
Think outside the box Mate.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Feb 2020, 4:41 pm

BLR243. We were losing sheep and lambs; has us all stumped; turned out to be the boss's Labrador (a bloody house pet), unfortunately I caught it in the act while mustering, it caught a stirrup iron.

The fox and cat might be swapping notes and rosters. :lol: :lol: :lol: Try a bit of cat dung around the trap
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2020, 5:04 pm

RoginaJack wrote:BLR243. We were losing sheep and lambs; has us all stumped; turned out to be the boss's Labrador (a bloody house pet), unfortunately I caught it in the act while mustering, it caught a stirrup iron.

The fox and cat might be swapping notes and rosters. :lol: :lol: :lol: Try a bit of cat dung around the trap

A stirrup Iron ?????????????
Bloody hell,,,, What a tragic accident :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2020, 6:34 pm

Rojina jack. Are you still mustering on horses ? Only know of one place that still musters with horses and dogs , gorge country
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2020, 6:35 pm

Or is a stirrup iron just an expression for a good flogging with any type of handy material?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Feb 2020, 8:55 pm

BLR243...Nope, Stirrup iron, very handy tool while on horse back...Taken out the odd feral dog too.

Long story, short version - when race horses retired, some where selected for the Mounted Police and sent out to the property fo R & R. We used them as stock horses for mustering Brahmans, lets just say they enjoyed the chase (read between the lines) , Go like a shower of .....When we can across a feral dog (very seldom), line it up and "GO RINTY", slip out the stirrup and see who made it into the tree line first and they got annoyed if we stuffed up.
The horses loved the chase and had to keep your wits about 'cause they would just take off after a old Boar out on the salt flats But that's another story...

PS. Na, haven't mustered for many years, I'm flat out throwing a leg over getting into bed these days that alone anything else... ;) ;)

Di Judicci, Just tragic but never stand too close when someone swings a saddle off , never know what might happen... :(
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 27 Feb 2020, 7:31 am

G'day,

I was out on another property yesterday scouting and retired early [somewhat knackered] as we elderly types do. In the meantime both cat and fox turned up at the same time at my bait station at the dam - around 9:45 PM as can be seen in the photo. It looks like the fox got seconds as she was only shown scrounging for scraps in the last two photos of the series at 1:10 AM this morning, well after the cat finished eating the main meal and had left the 'table'. I was going to ask which animal would be dominant, but it looks like the cat is in this situation.

I know where I'll be hunting tonight.

Jim
Attachments
IMAG0017 a.jpg
Fox playing second fiddle to cat
IMAG0017 a.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5770 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by flutch » 28 Feb 2020, 12:08 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Feral cats kill as many native species as a fox would. They are a big problem in the bush and need to be removed. No collar or bell equals feral cat to me.

Mate you're generous, outside a house means feral to me, even if it's wearing a collar, bells and kitty cat clothes from the pet shop.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 28 Feb 2020, 12:12 pm

Cats were declared a pest Australia wide last year
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Feb 2020, 7:19 pm

Great photo there Jim, I hope you have a little luck on your next hunting trip.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 28 Feb 2020, 7:31 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Great photo there Jim, I hope you have a little luck on your next hunting trip.

+1 :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 29 Feb 2020, 5:50 am

G'day,

Thankyou SCJ429 and marksman - I had never considered how different predator species interacted with each other in the field until I saw the photo. I guess cats are inherently more aggressive, hence the fox waiting her turn. So far neither blighter has turned up when I have been waiting on site. I'll try again tonight.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Feb 2020, 8:12 am

Gday NTSOG,
Mate the fox is just being wary & i doubt would hold great fear of loosing its life to a cat.

Cats arent any more aggressive than a snake in that they want to get away & would only react "aggressively" if threatened/backed into a corner...and even then its only defensive aggression... :)
Id bet my house that if that fox approached the cat & stamped its paw, the cat would hit the afterburners... :thumbsup:
tenor (2).gif
tenor (2).gif (266.46 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

:lol:

But that is a great picture...you've got some fun coming your way...!!

Get that cat..!!!... :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 18 Mar 2020, 5:12 pm

G'day All, Finally, after weeks of sitting out and being either too early or too late, often by only 5 minutes or so, I 'fixed' the blessed cat that's been prowling around my property and taking my bait. I was just about ready to pack up for the evening when it showed up. This morning when I checked my two cameras I found some more 'customers' had come later. One is another cat [with reflective collar]. I know who the owner is and have made it clear I don't want the animal on my place. Twice I have had the crosshairs fixed on its face while I waited to check what it was, but refrained from shooting it once I saw the collar. I think next time it will become a 'late' cat. Also, to my surprise, the fox [vixen I think] turned up early this morning. She'll be tough to catch.

Stix I know you think that foxes will dominate cats, but I have hardly seen the vixen on camera since the cat showed up.

Jim.
Attachments
IMAG0001a.jpg
Cat - unimproved
IMAG0001a.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1635 times
IMAG0001c2.jpg
Cat - improved
IMAG0001c2.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1635 times
IMAG0003a.jpg
Feral domestic cat: also needing improvement.
IMAG0003a.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 1635 times
IMAG0011a.jpg
Smart vixen.
IMAG0011a.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 1635 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control