My first attempt at fox whistling

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

My first attempt at fox whistling

Post by Blr243 » 22 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm

Fox was more interested in spraying https://youtu.be/ceSRC4D0UIs
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: My first attempt at fox whistling

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2020, 10:37 am

How far was the fox blr...?

He did seem preoccupied but maybe he didnt hear you...?

What sort of whistle is that & what animal are you trying to mimic with it...?

Maybe trying a volume/technique/style of whistle... :unknown:

Sometimes they not interested...he might have just moved into the territory from others youve shot & so be all full of himself advertising his manhood... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2020, 11:37 am

That was quite a while ago ....before that I was not excited about foxes at all and I would just shoot them if they happened to turn up I was actually inspired to start whistling after some of your info you posted and in particular your description of how you think about perfect exact shot placement on a fox. I’m not that precise I just put the cross on the centre of its chest and send mr vmax over there to do the job. ... the video was only the tail end of the incident. From memory the fox was originally about 300 and responded well to the whistle at the start and I got quite excited about him coming in as I lay there in the dark with rifle ready on the bipod .... after a while he started to circle around as if he might try to get down wind of me but while coming around he was still coming closer to me at the same time. I think it may have been roughly 100 I took the shot. I think primus is brand of whistle it’s a little plastic tube thing with a reed in it it actually sounds great if I position it correctly in my mouth but if I accidentally rotate it 90 degrees it instead sound like some stupid American duck sound and there’s a bit of that in the vid. As I hunt a lot on bare cultivation paddocks there’s a good chance dirt can get in the whistle. When that happens I get no sound at all and have to clear it. More than once It’s been blocked and I have been frantically trying to clear it while a fox is out in front of me. While I’m not working I should be making up some folded tin whistles in prep for my next trip
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2020, 11:46 am

He was definitely doing some acrobat moves with all his spraying. Long grass must often partially conceal some of their moves but in an open dirt paddock I can see it all. I’m sure I have seen them lurch forward and carry all their weight on their front two legs with their back legs carried high in the air. ..... seems like a lot of effort just taking a leak But I suppose us humans should not be too quick to judge after all esp when some of us do the Todd carney method
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control