Unusual response to rifle report from pigs

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Unusual response to rifle report from pigs

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2020, 6:57 pm

Mostly , as soon as they hear a rifle it’s run flat out for the scrubline. One night I was hunting these two little pigs but they were sort of onto me and I tried all manner of things to get in position but they kept getting too far away and eventually they made it to the scrub. It took me quite a while. They were super switched on and were as cunning as a crafty old midnight boar. But the next night I encountered them I was in a better position so I closed the gap and prepared to shoot one ( after lots of hunting in the same areas I get to know the pigs and their mob from the numbers and sizes and sex and when they turn up and which part of the bush they come from so I totally knew I was dealing with the same pair of younguns ). So after the first shot I automatically work the bolt but am mostly expecting to not get the next shot away ..... to my surprise , at the sound of the rifle the remaining pig briefly checks out his fallen friend and then instantly starts feeding again perhaps 6 feet away ...... only two other occasions in my life I have seen this ....https://youtu.be/byNlHTzLdwc
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Unusual response

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Feb 2020, 7:42 am

Man you should have let the 2nd one go... hopefully he bred more and lowered the iq of the breed....jk good luck and good work
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Unusual response

Post by Blr243 » 24 Feb 2020, 9:04 am

I actually let quite a few little ones run off .....I know I shouldn’t from a “ save Australian environment “ point of view but it just don’t feel right ethically
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control