Finding new properties to hunt (respectively & responsibly)

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Finding new properties to hunt (respectively & responsibly)

Post by Yewwhoonlyme » 03 Mar 2020, 4:35 pm

G'day guys, I was wondering how I would go about gaining some new properties to hunt on.

The property we had in mind is now been tainted with idiots doing stupid stuff and using large calibre rifles on small game.

How do i go about finding properties not sure about random door knocking?

Cheers
Yewwhoonlyme
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Finding new properties to hunt (respectively & responsib

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Mar 2020, 4:42 pm

Mate, respecfully do a search this had been covered a few times. Its the Google search box up top
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flutch » 03 Mar 2020, 5:02 pm

Find a way to connect with community events and do some networking, in WA we have regular red card fox shoots and these are a great way for people to meet others and get keen on networking with others, but other local events would serve as a platform for the same, gonna have to find an in road somewhere and that channel will work better than some blow in knocking on doors...

Cheers
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Mar 2020, 5:57 pm

Yewwhoonlyme wrote:G'day guys, I was wondering how I would go about gaining some new properties to hunt on.

The property we had in mind is now been tainted with idiots doing stupid stuff and using large calibre rifles on small game.

How do i go about finding properties not sure about random door knocking?

Cheers

Is there something wrong with using large calibers on small game?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 03 Mar 2020, 6:01 pm

Go to a pub in the area you’re keen to hunt on a Friday night. The more remote the better your chances. Shout a few beers, chat to locals and ask if anyone has a roo problem you can help out with.
You’ll be sorted.... It’s not THAT easy but if I was starting out, that’s what I’d do...
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yewwhoonlyme » 03 Mar 2020, 6:54 pm

More so the land owner doesn't wanna hear large calibre rifles being shot all day out there when there's no need for it.
Yewwhoonlyme
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Yewwhoonlyme » 03 Mar 2020, 6:57 pm

Cheers[/quote]

Is there something wrong with using large calibers on small game?[/quote]

More so the land owner doesn't wanna hear large calibre rifles being shot all day out there when there's no need for it.
Yewwhoonlyme
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Mar 2020, 7:08 pm

I would recommend finding out what the problem animals are in the area. Joining local sporting or community organisations is a good way to meet people. If you do meet a land holder make it clear you want to know what their rules are and how they want things done. You have to be useful to the landholder. The ones I know want to be sure you aren’t an irresponsible bozo and that you will follow their rules.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Peter988 » 03 Mar 2020, 7:51 pm

I still knock on doors. Still works fine. Only in fairly remote places though. Places closer to the big smoke are mostly taken.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 03 Mar 2020, 10:15 pm

Apart from networking are you able to buy some land? Not sure where you live but most states I see have big land blocks for sale at cheap prices. Few hours drive into the bush you can make a few days trip out of it whenever possible.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Mar 2020, 11:02 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:Apart from networking are you able to buy some land? Not sure where you live but most states I see have big land blocks for sale at cheap prices. Few hours drive into the bush you can make a few days trip out of it whenever possible.

The problem with buying land just for hunting is there is no guarantee of anything to hunt, or if there is today, there might not be next month.

And there are landowner responsibilities, like bushfire control and maintaining access roads, fencing, and such. Not necessarily enough to be unviable, but enough to perhaps make a monthly trip down to hunt several Victorian state forests a more appealing alternative for some. No game in one forest, jump in the ute and go to another one.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Mar 2020, 11:10 pm

Yewwhoonlyme wrote:More so the land owner doesn't wanna hear large calibre rifles being shot all day out there when there's no need for it.

Probably just poor wording then, large calibers are often quieter than some small ones. .243 is a small caliber with a reputation for its bark, .30-30 or .44 Magnum are large calibers that are not obnoxiously loud. Even .17HMR can be painful without hearing protection.

If you load your own ammo, you can tailor your loads, including their noise levels, subsonic 8x57mm or 6.5x55mm are very quiet, even 1700fps .30-06 loads I don't need hearing protection for comfortable shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 04 Mar 2020, 12:00 am

bladeracer wrote:[quote="Yewwhoonlyme" Even .17HMR can be painful without hearing protection.

First off, believe me, a .22lr will ruin your hearing - it's frequency as well as volume. I have regular hearing checks as part of my vocation. The first thing my audiologist observed was characteristic hearing loss from exposure to gunfire. It manifests as a loss in the higher frequency registers - i.e.wife and children who I'm always asking to repeat themselves. Add persistent tinnitus and it's a royal PITA. 'nuff said (but it also could have been any number of other calibres, machines etc. - just wear hearing protection)

As for properties, I am spoiled in that my family owns property. That said, I've recently joined the local Field and Game Association for informal clays and rifle range access because sometimes a four hour drive is just not feasible. With that comes the opportunity to participate in feral/pest control shoots by invitation. Maybe that is an avenue that could lead to introductions.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Mar 2020, 12:42 am

Diamond Jim wrote:[quote="bladeracer"quote="Yewwhoonlyme" Even .17HMR can be painful without hearing protection.

[/quote
First off, believe me, a .22lr will ruin your hearing - it's frequency as well as volume. I have regular hearing checks as part of my vocation. The first thing my audiologist observed was characteristic hearing loss from exposure to gunfire. It manifests as a loss in the higher frequency registers - i.e.wife and children who I'm always asking to repeat themselves. Add persistent tinnitus and it's a royal PITA. 'nuff said (but it also could have been any number of other calibres, machines etc. - just wear hearing protection)

As for properties, I am spoiled in that my family owns property. That said, I've recently joined the local Field and Game Association for informal clays and rifle range access because sometimes a four hour drive is just not feasible. With that comes the opportunity to participate in feral/pest control shoots by invitation. Maybe that is an avenue that could lead to introductions.

I know .22LR can damage your hearing, though probably a whole lot less than decades of wind noise across a motorcycle helmet. I was not referring to hearing damage, I was referring to comfort. Some firearms can leave you literally stunned after a single shot without hearing protection.

I rarely use hearing protection unless I'm shooting a lot of centrefire, or just a few very high intensity cartridges. 25rds of .303 does not leave my ears ringing like one .204 or .243 shot does. Rose and I both have some degree of hearing damage but we get ears and eyes tested every year. Shooting tens of thousands of .22LR and several thousand centrefire loads without protection hasn't done as much harm to my health as decades of building sites or racetracks have, not by a wide margin. I guess I could dash into town for a hearing test the day before and after I burn a brick of .22lR and see if there's any difference.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Mar 2020, 10:54 am

Eh?, What was that? Nothing wrong with my hearing!!!! :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Mar 2020, 11:31 am

Yewwhoonlyme wrote:Cheers

Is there something wrong with using large calibers on small game?[/quote]

More so the land owner doesn't wanna hear large calibre rifles being shot all day out there when there's no need for it.[/quote]

Wouldn’t the land owner bump the ppl making the noise that he doesn’t want to hear ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Diamond Jim » 04 Mar 2020, 7:43 pm

I rarely use hearing protection unless I'm shooting a lot of centrefire, or just a few very high intensity cartridges. 25rds of .303 does not leave my ears ringing like one .204 or .243 shot does.

Your ears, your call but I won't allow myself or my family to shoot any cartridge firearm without hearing protection. For me and mine, it's just not worth it. Mind you I also wear ear protection using power tools, mowing the lawn, driving tractors nowadays. It wasn't always the case and I regret that now.

YMMV.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Yewwhoonlyme » 04 Mar 2020, 8:07 pm

Thanks for your replies and the info guys really appreciate it.

Jake.
Yewwhoonlyme
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Mar 2020, 8:28 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:[quoteI rarely use hearing protection unless I'm shooting a lot of centrefire, or just a few very high intensity cartridges. 25rds of .303 does not leave my ears ringing like one .204 or .243 shot does.[/quote

Your ears, your call but I won't allow myself or my family to shoot any cartridge firearm without hearing protection. For me and mine, it's just not worth it. Mind you I also wear ear protection using power tools, mowing the lawn, driving tractors nowadays. It wasn't always the case and I regret that now.

YMMV.

Agreed, I would always recommend hearing protection, I just have never preferred it myself. Rose is a big fan of hearing protection, there wouldn't be many days that she doesn't use it for some reason or other, although she never wore ear plugs under her motorcycle helmets. If she preferred not to though, I would respect her choice as an adult. I would try to ensure she is fully informed though of the potential consequences.

I really don't have any regrets about the hearing damage I do have as it is all within areas that don't have much impact on my ability to hear what people are saying in normal conversation. The price of that damage was decades of greater physical comfort, so I'm not complaining. The main problem is tinnitus when I'm trying to get to sleep. I have rare and short episodes where it completely disappears, perhaps for as long as a minute, and the silence is blissful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control