Solitary Boar, but different

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Solitary Boar, but different

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2020, 8:27 am

100_5620.JPG
100_5620.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 4083 times
100_5617.JPG
100_5617.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 4083 times
100_5618.JPG
100_5618.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 4083 times
A solitary Boar but with a difference,,,,,,, there was a distinct lack of nuts.
Maybe someone cut him as a piglet and let him go :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Solitary Boar, but different

Post by sungazer » 18 Apr 2020, 9:26 am

There is a bloke down my road that is farming this type of pig. At first I thought they were just a pack of wild ones as we get once every 10 years or so. On second inspection they were still there and then noticed the double electric wire fence that may hold them. Paddock was a mess gees they really turn over the ground esp in a confined area.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Apr 2020, 9:47 am

Hey DJ he's a ''Barra'' mate up here a lot of the pig hunters used to nut the suckers and recatch them down the line and eat them it saved feeding them or on the other hand he may have been some ones pet for eating and he escaped , many reasons for him not having nuts but the main thing you got him and now he's got nothing , how was he he looks a little poor on the back end usually they are in good nick due to being nutted but anyway well done mate and how's the dogs going ?
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 Apr 2020, 10:17 am

apparently piggers nut them to get them to grow heaps bigger as well, down here l can confirm there are piggers who catch them nut them and let them go
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Apr 2020, 11:08 am

Yeah marksman I suspect that goes on all over Australia , up here we aren't allowed to travel with live wild pigs in a crate so the practice of nutting them solves that problem by letting them grow in the wild and like was said, sometimes large then recaught and processed for consumption win win situation for those that eat them.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Apr 2020, 12:39 pm

Good work. Very hairy for this time of year. I only seen some kids cut a boar once 25 years ago. Only shot one barrow that I know of but it’s not like I check the nuts all the time so who knows .... A Goondiwindi woolgrower told me it’s very irresponsible because they are more likely become lamb killers because they are 100 per cent focused on eating and not focused on sex ..... A pro shooter told me barrows are a lot harder for his dogs to catch because they give of much less odour .....I also think they are more wary of being caught by any means because the last time they were caught somebody took to their nuts with a knife
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Col » 18 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm

Marksman,
Down in southern NSW and Vic some piggers cut the ears off boars and re-release them so are much harder to catch with dogs and they can breed up without being caught.
Prick of a job for us landholders to have those boars running around eating lambs and calves.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2020, 1:18 pm

Col wrote:Marksman,
Down in southern NSW and Vic some piggers cut the ears off boars and re-release them so are much harder to catch with dogs and they can breed up without being caught.
Prick of a job for us landholders to have those boars running around eating lambs and calves.

Ears or no ears,,,,, don't matter much when they end up having a "lead" diet.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Apr 2020, 1:27 pm

Cutting the ears off is the worst. I’m sure pig hunters would not like to have their ears lopped off. And a little bit of that going on get widely distributed by the antis and off course we are al going to look worse because of it. Nothing for the dogs to grab hold of means the boar can hook away wildly and unrestricted, dramatically increasing the chances of the holding dogs getting a fatal puncture ... if I had the power I would give those doggers a lifetime ban from the sport
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2020, 1:38 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Hey DJ he's a ''Barra'' mate up here a lot of the pig hunters used to nut the suckers and recatch them down the line and eat them it saved feeding them or on the other hand he may have been some ones pet for eating and he escaped , many reasons for him not having nuts but the main thing you got him and now he's got nothing , how was he he looks a little poor on the back end usually they are in good nick due to being nutted but anyway well done mate and how's the dogs going ?

Yeah Mate, this is the 3rd barrow I've shot in the last 18 months.

He definitely was a loner, cos I saw a mob of about 25 pass through about 1/2 hour before, but were up higher in among the trees and I let em go
cos I couldn't get a decent aim at any of them, they seemed to be in a bit of a hurry.

This one looks light on in the hindquarters,, but I think that is just his general body shape.
He certainly wasn't light. I shot him on top of the dam wall, and he rolled down to the waters edge, and as I don't like leaving them where they can taint the water I'll be going back this aft with a long cable to pull him out, cos I couldn't get within reach with the winch cable.

As for the dogs Mate,,,,,,,, Well, from a dogs perspective I don't think they are fairing very well at all just recently. ;) ;) ;) :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2020, 1:45 pm

By the way Grandad,,,,,,,,,,, GOOD to see ya back.
:clap: :drinks:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Apr 2020, 2:03 pm

Yeah thanks DJ and are you going to use him as a bait? :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 Apr 2020, 3:10 pm

Col wrote:Marksman,

l caught a lot of photo's and videos on trailcam when shooting oinkers a bit further south than the border
a farmer who had me shooting them's nephew was catching them on his property and releasing them 20-30 klm's away
the farmer knew it was a waste of time but wanted to keep everyone happy :roll:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Apr 2020, 4:16 pm

What do u say to a police officer if he finds porky in your truck ? It’s not like they are going to jump up into a trayback with your dogs all by themselves
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Apr 2020, 4:21 pm

Dead pork is ok but live is not because of spreading disease and the other is people let them go elsewhere in places they're not wanted
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2020, 6:17 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Yeah thanks DJ and are you going to use him as a bait? :thumbsup:

Whatever makes you think that Mate ?? ,,,,,,,,,,, :silent:

I just got back, it took me 2 hrs to get in to where he finished up,, even using almost the full length of the winch cable plus a 30 meter cable sling
that I took with me.
As well as in one spot I had to cut down a sapling tree, to fit in between some bigger ones.

At one stage I actually considered the possibility of winching him straight across the dam to where the access track is.

If only he had stayed up on the bank instead of rolling down to the waters edge. :roll:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Apr 2020, 6:59 pm

Or next time shoot him in a respectable spot :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control