Self isolating Bunnies

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Self isolating Bunnies

Post by Elmer » 19 Apr 2020, 7:15 pm

Finally got out yesterday for a spot of sniping, as predicted, there were a few Kits around thanks to a half an inch or so several weeks ago,
the Bunnies are scarce but there are some left to keep the the population going.
Being satisfied now, I will leave this particular patch alone for a couple of months to give them a little breeding space... I have recently put a synthetic stock on my .22wmr so im keen to turn it into a hunting rifle (for foxes) rather than have it rot away with its pretty walnut stock.
The new stock isnt as aesthetically pleasing as walnut but at least i dont have to worry about it getting drenched or scratched in the scrub.
Even sakos are designed for hunting not sitting in the safe.
The rodents were shot from 300 to just under 400yds with a nice breeze to keep things interesting with the .223, I really like this cal, its quiet, recoil is minimal so you can still see the pests getting splattered , easy on barrels and VERY ACCURATE..
I dunno why it gets a bagging, perhaps some "experts" dont know how to use it to its full potential, anyways I hope you all enjoy the vid and by the way, if you have any suggestions on how to improve them please advise....Oh and the reason you dont hear me talking through them is that its windy most of the time so you wouldnt be able to hear me anyway.
cheers,
Sean.
https://youtu.be/DzxdCHwfLr0
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Self isolating Bunnies

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Apr 2020, 7:56 pm

:clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Apr 2020, 8:04 pm

nice stuff Elmer... :clap: :thumbsup:

I dont have a 223, but id love to have one...
I cant see why anyone would knock any relatively mainstream 22 cal cartridge to be honest...let alone the 223...thats just crazy talk...
Given that if youre willing to pay yourself a a couple of cents per round to reload, you can get good ammo loaded for you, is just one of the reasons id love one.

Anyway...i rekon i can hear some mumbling going on there in the backround of that clip- :unknown: -cant bloodywell make it out tho... :lol:

Its interesting that to let youtube follow on by itself, the very next vid was you on the same warren with winter bunnies & a poor crow eating one of your bunnies.

How are they for the worms out there mate...?...the ones i got recently had lots of Hydatids...i had to toss a good few of them...
I got a few nearly out to your standard ranges out to just touching the 300yds too, & im eating them tonight... :clap:

But they are back in the sack through out the mallee with the little rains theyve had so might be some young tender finger lick'n southern fried goodness by the wood heater middle of winter... :) ...i cant wait to get again...just hope the virus stays over in the eastern states... :lol:

Good stuff... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 19 Apr 2020, 8:42 pm

l'm glad l had a look before going for a shower, great shooting Elmer :thumbsup:

had to laugh at this from the comments

"This is so unnecessarily cruel to post a video like this.
I was ready to buy a 223 and now all the shops are shut."

at fist starting to read it l thought it was going to be an anti :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 19 Apr 2020, 9:56 pm

Thanks DJ :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 19 Apr 2020, 10:17 pm

Hi Stix,
yup its got me beat too, but they are out there, always plenty of experts in youtube land. I havent cut any up lately to sell but a year or so ago I did strike a few with tape worm.They reckon if you have a healthy fox population they can spread worm eggs through s**ting on pastures after eating infected rabbits, then the rabbits eat the grass and so on.
Mumbling lol, thats was me telling the little s**ts to turn around for a side on profile, the kits rarely stay still and trying to film and shoot is a pain in the arse.
Yeah its good to see them rooting again, and the rain has just started to give the paddocks a slight tinge....thats one good thing about covid 19 , with the borders shut, it stops bunny control warriors from spreading more calici in our beloved SA.
If youve got time, i would be interested in your recipe for KFB, yup, a nice place of fried bunny during the winter sounds good.
cheers
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 19 Apr 2020, 10:20 pm

Thanks Marksman,
yeah i had to do a double take with that one, thought i was going to get another bleeding heart sook slinging s**t.
cheers
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control