Almost fluffy enough to make a rug out of.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Almost fluffy enough to make a rug out of.

Post by Die Judicii » 19 May 2020, 8:11 pm

Got this very striking black and white one among the others on the trail camera this morning.
It's kinda odd that they were still oinking about at nine o'clock in the morning.
They almost always disappear up into the high and dense stuff just before dawn.

But I'm gonna be hot on this fellas trail and try to get it.
It'll make a nice trophy.

STC_0006.JPG
STC_0006.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 5115 times
STC_0008.JPG
STC_0008.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5115 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Almost fluffy enough to make a rug out of.

Post by Die Judicii » 20 May 2020, 7:42 am

My immediate dilemma is,,, I'll have to be lucky enough to ambush it during daylight hours.
Cos in the dark with the thermal it'll only be all black or all white, and therefore blend in with its mates.

:problem: :problem: :problem:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 May 2020, 2:39 pm

A pig is a pig .....to me your country always seems like dog country but you get more pigs than dogs. Your lucky to have both
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 20 May 2020, 2:54 pm

Well I’ll be buggared. Have seen plenty of brindle, ginger and other assorted spots however never a black and white hairy pig like that one. Good luck mate, let us know when you get him eh.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 20 May 2020, 6:55 pm

JimTom wrote:Good luck mate, let us know when you get him eh.

Yeah Mate,,,,, will do.
But with my luck that one might just up and disappear like a fart in a stiff breeze,,, and never be seen again. :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 20 May 2020, 7:50 pm

I have seen a lot like that over the years. Mostly black, but plenty of "fresians" too. Brindle ones were pretty scarce, and mostly only young ones, that must have got darker as they grew.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 May 2020, 4:13 pm

Went out late last night and sat in ambush till dawn and then through till 10-30 am.
Got myself a wet Rse,,,,,, and that was it.
Didn't even see a wallaby, let alone the big fluffy black and white pig.

When the rain clears I reckon I'll go out with the quad and start searching some of the rough country during daylight hours.
Maybe,,,,,,, just maybe, I might get lucky.

Does anyone know how far big pigs will roam from wherever they normally bed down ???

I know that big old boars are territorial,, and won't root up ground any where close to where they bed down.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 May 2020, 5:24 pm

B and w pig could be anywhere , if he is cruising thru ........but I still think your best bet is to stay on that waterhole and count on the fact that it’s part of his favourite places even if he visits it randomly rather than consistently. I have seen evidence of pig behaviour in one area where some pigs have definite boringly routine travels as if they are catching a bus to a 9 till 5 job. and others are random allover the place with not much apparent pattern other than a common waterhole if it’s dry ..... think of a human who orders take away from a Chinese shop. There are some that order sweet and sour pork for 5 years straight and will never deviate. Others will choose something different every time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 21 May 2020, 7:47 pm

Yep, I agree. Most likely is close by. They will roam a long way, miles, when they need to. But they look like they have feed and water in the top pic, so I reckon a good hide not far away is the first place I would look. I would forget any machinery, and get a comfy pair of boots on and stick your nose under some bushes.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 22 May 2020, 1:34 pm

GQshayne wrote:Yep, I agree. Most likely is close by. They will roam a long way, miles, when they need to. But they look like they have feed and water in the top pic, so I reckon a good hide not far away is the first place I would look. I would forget any machinery, and get a comfy pair of boots on and stick your nose under some bushes.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hopefully its cold enough now that I won't end up scratching myself to death from those freakin little bush ticks.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 May 2020, 9:35 pm

Well I'm now armed with fresh new footage of the big black and white shaggy pig.
In company of 9 other large fellas at the same time of day in the same place.

Guess where I'll be tomorrow morning ??

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 27 May 2020, 6:21 pm

Waiting for the pub to open????
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 27 May 2020, 7:22 pm

GQshayne wrote:Waiting for the pub to open????

:lol:
Well I got out and set up at 4am,,, and sat in ambush mode with two rifles.
Sat and Sat and Sat till well past 10 am and not a single solitary pork sausage made an appearance. :thumbsdown:

Then decided to stick it out till 12-30 pm,,,,,,, but still no results.

Thems the breaks I guess,,,,,,,,,, I have now resolved to setting up a few enticers for em and see how things transpire.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2020, 8:48 pm

You’ll never ever know , if you never ever go
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 May 2020, 8:53 pm

Yep, and that is why, in my experience, you get better results hunting pigs from walking rather than doing a stakeout. Personally, I love a stakeout. Nothing better than being tucked into a good spot, and watching the bush around you. But sitting over a waterhole may not get you a pig, and a walk around it for an hour will.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 May 2020, 4:56 pm

GQshayne wrote:Yep, and that is why, in my experience, you get better results hunting pigs from walking rather than doing a stakeout. Personally, I love a stakeout. Nothing better than being tucked into a good spot, and watching the bush around you. But sitting over a waterhole may not get you a pig, and a walk around it for an hour will.

I have difficulty walking these days,,,, that is why I stick mainly to ambush techniques.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 May 2020, 5:23 pm

The combination of summer and limited water sources and a thermal scope I have found to be the most successful method between dusk and midnight for pigs cats and foxes if I do a stakeout on water. But in winter I get more success by doin the miles and covering a lot of ground in what I think will be the most productive areas.......but if I know the area well, and I know game numbers are way down I will stake out water in winter ( it’s just very boring if you only get 3 visits in 6 hours)
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 29 May 2020, 8:36 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
GQshayne wrote:Yep, and that is why, in my experience, you get better results hunting pigs from walking rather than doing a stakeout. Personally, I love a stakeout. Nothing better than being tucked into a good spot, and watching the bush around you. But sitting over a waterhole may not get you a pig, and a walk around it for an hour will.

I have difficulty walking these days,,,, that is why I stick mainly to ambush techniques.

That's fair enough. It sure is great to have animals, natives and ferals, come to you unawares. I have always enjoyed it. Even if you do not see any targets, it will no doubt still be more enjoyable than watching the telly.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 7:00 am

Get a 3G field cam that will send you a sms when triggered? Then log in and see if worth going out?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 30 May 2020, 8:28 am

Ph service in dj s area is mostly non existent if I remember correctly. It’s random on my place depending on where I am. I’ll probably take a good cam with me on my next hunt. Now TT u have experience with Telstra and communication s.....do u think with I’m proved technology that we will ever likely see 80 per cent of Australia covered or will it just cost to much money?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 8:34 am

5g is the current focus - because of data speeds. The issue with that is you need 25% + more towers / transmitters to offer the same coverage area - so it’s unlikely mass coverage will extend to lower populated areas - I think 3G is earmarked for decommissioning in 2-3 years.
That being said - I believe technology (lower price) will allow private installs of repeaters (currently illegal). Once that veil is lifted - you’ll have options.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 30 May 2020, 11:09 am

Thanks TT sounds like a long gradual process...., for now when I’m lost in the bush I will have to keep wandering round in circles
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 1:08 pm

TassieTiger wrote:5g is the current focus - because of data speeds. The issue with that is you need 25% + more towers / transmitters to offer the same coverage area - so it’s unlikely mass coverage will extend to lower populated areas - I think 3G is earmarked for decommissioning in 2-3 years.
That being said - I believe technology (lower price) will allow private installs of repeaters (currently illegal). Once that veil is lifted - you’ll have options.

You just touch on a subject Im interested in. Off subject, but....

Boost & Aldi both use the telstra net work. Boost more than Aldi. But is the internet coverage and speeds any different between the 3?.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 1:13 pm

^ theoretically no, but Telstra are not allowing other carriers to use their network out of pure business partnerships. My understanding is that with the monopoly head start they had, they are bound to resell wholesale space to some providers - now whether they somehow, technologically, trim a small % of capacity - who knows. Its no secret that Telstra sell them selves as a premium service over others...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 1:20 pm

I'll start a new thread under "off topic"
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control