Cost of hunting - what are other states like?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Cost of hunting - what are other states like?

Post by TassieTiger » 22 May 2020, 5:53 am

Curious to see if this country is headed down the same path as USA where in some areas, only the wealthy are able to hunt.
A friend recently joined a land parcel of 500,000 acres - that has 3 levels of hunting.
Level 1 - hunt anything 20 days of the year at a cost of $1500 pp - includes use of over night hunts. 200 ppl have apparently signed for this.
Level 2 - hunt anything except deer, overnights ok, 15 nights per year, $700 pp. they have 380 ppl.
Level 3 - hunt small game only, day shooting only(day break to dusk), 12 hunt days per year at $500 pp. not sure re ppl registered.

This land owner is making $600k to $700k per annum from hunters...an online spreadsheet means only certain amount of ppl on property at one time - also means you can miss out if not priority.

This seems like an excessive amount to be paying to hunt - is this similar to other areas of our country ? I must confess - being a small land owner of somewhere I can shoot, I wasn’t aware of this kind of $$$ being asked for the larger areas, yes, the property is known to produce but still.

A friend recently researched SA for a guided deer hunt and was advised he’d be looking at $3k minimum for 3 days and then if he shot a deer - it would be between 700-1400 extra. Wtf ? I must have been on mars...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Cost of hunting - what are other states like?

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2020, 6:34 am

Only cost in Victoria is a game licence if you want to take deer or duck. If you're happy hunting pests it's free access to tens of thousands of acres of crown land. Can camp out there for weeks at a time if you want to and no limit on how many pests or deer you can take. Hog deer and ducks have seasons and bag limits, all other deer and pests are unrestricted.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 22 May 2020, 7:17 am

Mistake. Half asleep
Last edited by Blr243 on 22 May 2020, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 May 2020, 7:18 am

Aussie’s have for generations had a long free ride , and have developed a mindset of no way will I pay .... but landowners have become hesitant after some dramas, and are very concerned about litigation if somebody is injured ..... they have also become aware that they can make money out of something they used to offer for free ... I think there will always be plenty of free hunting in Australia , but I also see a rise in willingness of hunters to pay as access is tightened .......I have heard of two prop ties where the owner was desperate for roo shooters but could never find anyone to do it ( and one of those places gets thick with Roos ) I know another small place close to Brisbane where I’m wanted for wild dogs but I just can’t get there if I’m primarily focused on shooting more productive locations .....I pay at my best place rather than hunt unproductive free land ..it makes a lot more sense
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 May 2020, 7:53 am

bladeracer wrote:Only cost in Victoria is a game licence if you want to take deer or duck. If you're happy hunting pests it's free access to tens of thousands of acres of crown land. Can camp out there for weeks at a time if you want to and no limit on how many pests or deer you can take. Hog deer and ducks have seasons and bag limits, all other deer and pests are unrestricted.

What happens when those places become inundated / shot out ? Is there enough room for everyone ? See I kind of thought that younger generation weren’t hunting and it was dropping off - but I actually think, more older ppl Are getting back into it...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2020, 8:00 am

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Only cost in Victoria is a game licence if you want to take deer or duck. If you're happy hunting pests it's free access to tens of thousands of acres of crown land. Can camp out there for weeks at a time if you want to and no limit on how many pests or deer you can take. Hog deer and ducks have seasons and bag limits, all other deer and pests are unrestricted.

What happens when those places become inundated / shot out ? Is there enough room for everyone ? See I kind of thought that younger generation weren’t hunting and it was dropping off - but I actually think, more older ppl Are getting back into it...

We have an awful lot of deer with numbers that seem to be increasing, despite about 40,000 game licences every year.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 May 2020, 8:05 am

40,000 game licences ? Wow... That’s interesting. After the fires - is the deer populace still there?

The property I mentioned above is rumoured to be hitting the market soon for 6.5 million dollars. At 3% interest rate - you could make a LOT of money based on the figures I was given. $200k in interest repayments, leaves $400k profit...we could pool funds for the site and make investors a nice return lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by womble » 22 May 2020, 9:29 am

We have a deer plague and they should be classed as pests like other states
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RuinedNoodle » 22 May 2020, 11:53 am

womble wrote:We have a deer plague and they should be classed as pests like other states

It absolutely baffles me on why they would restrict deer and hog hunting for declared open seasons in VIC.
They are introduced pest species that have a massive impact on native wildlife and farmers alike. People should be able to hunt them with no restrictions.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2020, 1:18 pm

RuinedNoodle wrote:
womble wrote:We have a deer plague and they should be classed as pests like other states

It absolutely baffles me on why they would restrict deer and hog hunting for declared open seasons in VIC.
They are introduced pest species that have a massive impact on native wildlife and farmers alike. People should be able to hunt them with no restrictions.

Deer and hog are unrestricted hunting already in Vic.
The only deer that have a season and tag limits are the tiny hog deer, which are fairly isolated anyway.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2020, 1:21 pm

TassieTiger wrote:40,000 game licences ? Wow... That’s interesting. After the fires - is the deer populace still there?

The property I mentioned above is rumoured to be hitting the market soon for 6.5 million dollars. At 3% interest rate - you could make a LOT of money based on the figures I was given. $200k in interest repayments, leaves $400k profit...we could pool funds for the site and make investors a nice return lol.

Deer generally have a thing hanging off each corner, these allow them to run very fast and jump over things. I'm sure the fires impacted them, but there are still heaps out there :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 22 May 2020, 2:24 pm

I did not know that
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 22 May 2020, 2:34 pm

Ok so they’re not classed as pests in Vic, you must have the game licence endorsed for deer, not expensive.
Hog deer is only April, never seen one.
All other species can be hunted year round.
But i believe that’s only state forests.
?
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 22 May 2020, 2:37 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 22 May 2020, 2:48 pm

I don't think it's going to be all beer and skittles for the property owner(s) that go down that path.

Taking a leaf out of the USA, property owners are investing both time and money in crops, feeding points and habitat etc for game animals and birds. Not to mention pest control and culling.

So if the work isn't put in and results don't meet expectations, I don't think hunters will invest money and time. The members from the States could elaborate further.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 22 May 2020, 3:07 pm

Hi BLR243, Yes chasing and calling up dogs is a time consuming pastime. Reading an article the other day about a bloke up North Qld. way that calls ferals and reckons he averages 1 dog every 10 trips and walks 30 Kl to do it; one way to keep fit.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 22 May 2020, 6:39 pm

there are a couple of guided hunts in victoria,
a few years ago l was offered $1000 a day to guide 10 businessmen at a time over a weekend
first day would be safety course and live fire sighting ect, second day would be showing sign, scouting ect... and setting these guys up on a plot where they could have an encounter, the third would be similar to the second as well as a butchering assembly
it is something that will be happening
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 22 May 2020, 6:53 pm

I wish QLD had state hunting. So much deer near gympie/sunshine coast.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 May 2020, 7:50 pm

Ron jack. That bloke in north Qld sounds keen. 15 plus yrs ago I used to walk the sandy creeks of cape York all day in the hot sun but the boars were guaranteed everywhere and that’s where I used my bow to take a boar and a dingo ten seconds apart , and that was worth a million miles in the hot sun
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 22 May 2020, 8:32 pm

Well done, especially with the bow on a Dingo....
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control