Dumb love.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Dumb love.

Post by NTSOG » 27 May 2020, 11:46 am

G'day,

I was sitting out the back last night watching a fox come up the paddock toward me when it suddenly took off like the devil was after it. It shot past me like the proverbial Bondi tram. I pointed a red torch back down the paddock and spotted two pairs of eyes. They gradually came up toward me and I whacked the lead fox at about 80 yards then scanned the far edges of the paddock [about 23 acres] to see where the other had gone at the sound of the rifle shot - like any sensible fox does when it hears a near miss rifle shot. I couldn't see any sign of it so looked back at the first fox on the ground only to spot the other fox about 30 feet away from it. I had been told by experienced hunters to shoot the vixen first and the [dumb/randy] male would hang around. I was a bit sceptical 'til last night, but the second fox - it was the male - was kind enough to walk closer to me and got whacked too.

I don't know how to tell a vixen from a dog through a night vision scope at distance. I've heard that dogs are bigger, but through the scope last night the vixen actually looked larger. In daylight she was actually about the same size, but possibly had a thicker coat. Anyway that made two vixens and a dog in 24 hours on that one paddock with two other 'regulars' I'm working on.

Jim
Last edited by NTSOG on 28 May 2020, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Dumb love.

Post by Wedgetail » 27 May 2020, 8:31 pm

Nice work Jim 3 less vermin out there.
Wedgetail
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2020, 8:46 pm

Well done jimbo
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 28 May 2020, 7:09 am

Thanks Blr243 and Wedgetail, but I still don't know how to tell a vixen from her dog mate. Relative size is apparently one way, but through a NV scope at range it is hard to see any real difference.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control