Has anyone hunted deer with 30/30

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Has anyone hunted deer with 30/30

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jun 2020, 3:46 pm

Has anyone hunted deer with their 30/30? If yes, what are the details? Ie was it successful? What range? What load? What type of deer?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Has anyone hunted deer with...

Post by southeast varmiter » 05 Jun 2020, 4:51 pm

Heaps, only use 170gr bullets.
Drops them dead out to 50 yards. No scope of course.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jun 2020, 5:32 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:Heaps, only use 170gr bullets.
Drops them dead out to 50 yards. No scope of course.

So what are these blokes talking about?

https://www.shootersforum.com/marlin-33 ... -deer.html
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Jun 2020, 6:00 pm

G'day Harrynsw,
I grew up in NZ using a Win 94 in 30/30 to take every deer species from Fallow to Wapiti, dozens of Reds and Rusa, as well as Chamois and Thar. The 30/30 never gave me problems and I used from 150g SP on the smaller species up to 180g SP on the larger. I preferred to shoot at 100yds or less, enjoying the stalk as much or more as the kill. The cartridge will take most deer at 200yds but drops energy very quick after that. You have to remember a lever action has a short barrel as well as sight radius and the old 30/30 is not a powerhouse by any stretch but within that 100 yards it will take virtually everything in Australia, Cheers.
Last edited by No1Mk3 on 05 Jun 2020, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 05 Jun 2020, 6:01 pm

Red hind, hit her with an FTX out of Marlin 3030, thought it was well placed but she ended up running around 200m. Would have weigh 150kg and I shot her at around 125m. Wouldnt necessarily take the same shot these day
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jun 2020, 6:21 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Harrynsw,
I grew up in NZ using a Win 94 in 30/30 to take every deer species from Fallow to Wapiti, dozens of Reds and Rusa, as well as Chamois and Thar. The 30/30 never gave me problems and I used from 150g SP on the smaller species up to 180g SP on the larger. I preferred to shoot at 100yds or less, enjoying the stalk as much or more as the kill. The cartridge will take most deer at 200yds but drops energy very quick after that. You have to remember a lever action has a short barrel as well as sight radius and the old 30/30 is not a powerhouse by any stretch but within that 100 yards it will take virtually everything in Australia, Cheers.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks bud.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jun 2020, 6:22 pm

Bill wrote:Red hind, hit her with an FTX out of Marlin 3030, thought it was well placed but she ended up running around 200m. Would have weigh 150kg and I shot her at around 125m. Wouldnt necessarily take the same shot these day

Great info, thanks.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 05 Jun 2020, 6:28 pm

I was chasing pigs at the time Harry, worse bit was the follow up shot saw her tumble down a very steep hill and she landed in what Id describe as a freezing cold gorge like creek. The deer couldnt be recovered. Lessons were learned that day I now use a BLR 358 which has alot more grunt :thumbsup:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2020, 6:36 pm

No experience. But in Vic it was the legal minimum for reds and sambar for many years. (Case length)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jun 2020, 6:57 pm

Bill wrote:I was chasing pigs at the time Harry, worse bit was the follow up shot saw her tumble down a very steep hill and she landed in what Id describe as a freezing cold gorge like creek. The deer couldnt be recovered. Lessons were learned that day I now use a BLR 358 which has alot more grunt :thumbsup:

What's the recoil like on the 358?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jun 2020, 6:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:No experience. But in Vic it was the legal minimum for reds and sambar for many years. (Case length)

That definitely says something
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 05 Jun 2020, 7:47 pm

depends on the load Harry, I stoke mine up abit but think something like in between a 308 and 30-06, good recoil pad always helps.

200gr SP were my go to pills for years but I now run 185gr TSX's :drinks:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jun 2020, 9:24 pm

Bill wrote:depends on the load Harry, I stoke mine up abit but think something like in between a 308 and 30-06, good recoil pad always helps.

200gr SP were my go to pills for years but I now run 185gr TSX's :drinks:

I'm not at making my own loads...yet, so I'm stuck using the S&B 150 grain SP.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 05 Jun 2020, 10:03 pm

What type of deer is a bit of an issue though isn’t it. I’d assume the guys on the American forum are talking whitetail. Which I’ve never hunted myself but I understand is about half the mass of an adult Sambar and significantly smaller than a Red.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 05 Jun 2020, 10:27 pm

Archie wrote:Which I’ve never hunted myself but I understand is about half the mass of an adult Sambar and significantly smaller than a Red.

Something like that.

The does are very small, only about 50kg.

They do get "big bucks" upwards of 150kg, but closer to 100kg is more the norm, as I recall.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jun 2020, 10:41 pm

Archie wrote:What type of deer is a bit of an issue though isn’t it. I’d assume the guys on the American forum are talking whitetail. Which I’ve never hunted myself but I understand is about half the mass of an adult Sambar and significantly smaller than a Red.

100% true
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Has anyone hunted deer with 30/30

Post by VICHunter » 06 Jun 2020, 9:45 am

What's the endgame here, mate?

Do you have a 30-30 already and you're wondering if you can hunt deer with it?

Or you're looking at buying a new rifle for deer hunting and wondering if 30-30 is a good choice?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Jun 2020, 10:26 am

VICHunter wrote:What's the endgame here, mate?

Do you have a 30-30 already and you're wondering if you can hunt deer with it?

Or you're looking at buying a new rifle for deer hunting and wondering if 30-30 is a good choice?

End game is I own a 30/30 (that hasn't had much use) and was wondering if I can use it for deer...
Yesterday I put a Bushnell red dot on it and took it to the range, was pleasantly surprised with the results (1.5 inch group at 100m).

So that's where I'm at.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 06 Jun 2020, 2:32 pm

I was hunting/culling a couple of times...came across some deer...trouble is, instead of having a 30-30 in the car with me, i had a bloody idiot with me, one that couldnt stalk a snail if you put one at his bloody feet & told him his life depended on it...
I cant believe why im still astonished at how utterly stupid some people are, especially when it comes to hunting & providing for oneself...

Sorry for the useless digression...but its true, & given its about shooting deer, i thought it is at least a distantly related subject matter...
Trust me, you would all laugh in sympathy for me if you had been a fly in the car that night...!!!... :lol:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jun 2020, 3:24 pm

I have met two or three completely useless people .....just 5 minutes with them is so painfull. ...mostly we can walk away or drive away from them. But they can never escape themselves, and they have to endure who they are ,every minute of every day, all of their lives
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Jun 2020, 3:33 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
End game is I own a 30/30 (that hasn't had much use) and was wondering if I can use it for deer...
Yesterday I put a Bushnell red dot on it and took it to the range, was pleasantly surprised with the results (1.5 inch group at 100m).

So that's where I'm at.

if you can do that you can hit a deer where it will drop and stay dropped
a very long time ago l did hunt deer with a winchester 30-30 and did ok with 170gr bullets out to 100
it was a pleasure to carry being very light, easy to shoot and swing around
my eyes are to old now to use the barrel sights reliabily but l have thought about it a few times when having to track up big hills
if you can stalk and have patiance you wont have a problem :drinks:

Stix you know people who cant stalk a snail are going to give you up to the deer mate :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Jun 2020, 5:19 pm

Stix wrote:I was hunting/culling a couple of times...came across some deer...trouble is, instead of having a 30-30 in the car with me, i had a bloody idiot with me, one that couldnt stalk a snail if you put one at his bloody feet & told him his life depended on it...
I cant believe why im still astonished at how utterly stupid some people are, especially when it comes to hunting & providing for oneself...

Sorry for the useless digression...but its true, & given its about shooting deer, i thought it is at least a distantly related subject matter...
Trust me, you would all laugh in sympathy for me if you had been a fly in the car that night...!!!... :lol:

:drinks:

Point made, 30/30 won't get any use unless I can stalk in
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Jun 2020, 5:21 pm

marksman wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

So that's where I'm at.

if you can do that you can hit a deer where it will drop and stay dropped
a very long time ago l did hunt deer with a winchester 30-30 and did ok with 170gr bullets out to 100
it was a pleasure to carry being very light, easy to shoot and swing around
my eyes are to old now to use the barrel sights reliabily but l have thought about it a few times when having to track up big hills
if you can stalk and have patiance you wont have a problem :drinks:

Stix you know people who cant stalk a snail are going to give you up to the deer mate :thumbsup:

Thanks marksman
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 07 Jun 2020, 8:22 am

Near the Iraian Jaya border PNG 1969 a bunch of us hired a couple of locals to paddle us down the Bensbach river.
Heaps of Rusa. The locals enjoyed the feed.
Me with mine taken with my 94 in 30-30. Still have it. Cant remember the load but.
Imagedeer and 30-30 by Some the others shot.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hraYSq]Image
group deer by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/]
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 07 Jun 2020, 9:07 am

Nice little hunting adventure there perentie...what sort of ranges were they taken at? (If you remember)
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2020, 9:51 am

i've just put my 30-30 on consignment at my LGS . as much as i liked it , i don't have the eye sight to use it reliably as it's a top eject 94 ' with a williams peep . it's fine in good light, but in the shade not so much . i can't use red dots , so off it goes. now i have a empty spot in my safe, what can i fill it with ? :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 07 Jun 2020, 10:12 am

bigrich wrote:i've just put my 30-30 on consignment at my LGS . as much as i liked it , i don't have the eye sight to use it reliably as it's a top eject 94 ' with a williams peep . it's fine in good light, but in the shade not so much . i can't use red dots , so off it goes. now i have a empty spot in my safe, what can i fill it with ? :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Iv got a Sauer 100XT in good condition, slight feeding issue :D :D
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2020, 5:20 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
Iv got a Sauer 100XT in good condition, slight feeding issue :D :D

:lol: :lol: good on ya harry :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 09 Jun 2020, 12:20 pm

30/30 for deer? Not for me. I'd like to knock em down quick and humanely as possible. I don't consider myself adept to hunt such game with that type of rifle.
However those that can, good for you.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 09 Jun 2020, 2:59 pm

Bugman wrote:30/30 for deer? Not for me. I'd like to knock em down quick and humanely as possible. I don't consider myself adept to hunt such game with that type of rifle.
However those that can, good for you.

Thanks bugman, what calibre do you like to use?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control