On the hunt for this fellah

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

On the hunt for this fellah

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 12:42 am

STC_0013.JPG
STC_0013.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 4128 times
Set the camera up earlier yesterday, and got this one.
It doesn't look to me to be the usual dingo cross bred.

More importantly,, unless I'm mistaken, it looks like a "torchlight" right behind it.

??? Some trespassers pig dog with the owner following behind with a torch ??????

Maybe shoulda had the camera set for video.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: On the hunt for this fellah

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2020, 1:55 am

Looks like torch to me The grainy front end looks like maybe a wide neck collar on a hunting dog ? And it might be my tired 2am lunacy but the tail crank is not usual body language for a solo wandering dog
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2020, 1:58 am

I walk behind my dog with a red headlight and I’m about 400 k west of u atm so def not me. ....also Deisel is always on a leash because he a bit excitable
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 9:24 am

Blr243 wrote:Looks like torch to me The grainy front end looks like maybe a wide neck collar on a hunting dog ? And it might be my tired 2am lunacy but the tail crank is not usual body language for a solo wandering dog

Yeah Mate, my thoughts exactly on the "tail"

There's one thing for sure,, the ?owner of the dog had better keep real close to it cos if it crosses my sight while I'm there,,,, and the owner is 100 meters behind I'm not gonna yell out and ask "Is that your dog ?"

I'll just squeeze the trigger.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2020, 10:11 am

I’ve been to quite a few places that demand I shoot any breed of dog , collared or not Woolgrowers don’t stuff around
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 17 Jun 2020, 1:37 pm

Poachers don't realise the risk they take when going onto land without permission especially land that the owner has asked someone to eradicate the feral population from, DJ that dog looks to have a little stag in it with the whippy tail, also poachers are one of the reasons that land owners stop people from hunting on their land. have you spoken to the owner of that land and confirmed that he hadn't let anyone else on ? even if he had it's not a good idea to do so whilst someone else is shooting the area, ''very unsafe'' in my books
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 3:13 pm

Yep GDB,
We have just finished doing a whole array of cameras scattered throughout the property to catch these mongrels out. (4 legged and 2 legged)

The owners next step is chains and padlocks on the gates.
If that doesn't stop em some of the tracks are gonna get spiked so as to create at least 3 if not 4 tires that will never pump up again.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Jun 2020, 3:28 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:... ... ...
There's one thing for sure,, the ?owner of the dog had better keep real close to it cos if it crosses my sight while I'm there,,,, and the owner is 100 meters behind I'm not gonna yell out and ask "Is that your dog ?"

I'll just squeeze the trigger.

Look DJ...go ahead & chastise me all you like...but...i cant help but point out the obvious here...

Saying you'd shoot a mans dog knowing the man is within cooee of his dog is likely to land you in a great deal of trouble...considerably more than the poacher...!!!

Not to mention is an incredibly dangerous thing to do...irrespective of him being 100 metres away, or what the idiot poaching is deserved of...!!
The fact is you dont know who else is around that you may fail to see...thermal or not...

The bottom line is, Discharging a firearm with intention to kill the said dog knowing its owner is there is. & will be viewed as an act of aggression with a firearm...period...!

So admitting you'd shoot the dog with its owner so close without warning on a public forum is probably not the smartest thing youve ever said...especially considering that as responsible firearms owners, we dont conduct ourselves in such ways...

Im not having a crack at you...& im not going to dob--or report your post because i believe in free speech--that being you have the right to say what you want......but i think you should edit the post if you can...& if you cant, ask the mods to edit it for you with a better solution for dealing with the poacher...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 17 Jun 2020, 6:40 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Yep GDB,
We have just finished doing a whole array of cameras scattered throughout the property to catch these mongrels out. (4 legged and 2 legged)

The owners next step is chains and padlocks on the gates.
If that doesn't stop em some of the tracks are gonna get spiked so as to create at least 3 if not 4 tires that will never pump up again.

putting locks on gates has caused fences to be cut in one of the area's l get some deer
cameras near gates are the go, when you get a good photo of the poacher opening the gate take it to the police and dont forget to try and get the cars number plates if possible, do not be surprised if the offender is well known

shoot any dog not supposed to be on the property and drop it into a deep hole
if you advertise its demise there may be retaliation
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by snag » 17 Jun 2020, 7:10 pm

I have to say that the idea of tyre spikes appeals to me. The thought of a poacher having to walk for hours through the dark and cold, and then having to recover his vehicle, has a certain sense of justice about it.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 17 Jun 2020, 7:14 pm

Also, if that's a dinger it's in flamin' good nick. The one's we get are scrawny, worm-riddled specimens.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm

putting locks on gates has caused fences to be cut in one of the area's l get some deer
cameras near gates are the go, when you get a good photo of the poacher opening the gate take it to the police and dont forget to try and get the cars number plates if possible, do not be surprised if the offender is well known

shoot any dog not supposed to be on the property and drop it into a deep hole
if you advertise its demise there may be retaliation[/quote]

Yeah Mate, we are right up there with you.
Photos of the recurring offender entering or (maybe in the future cutting a fence) will be delivered to the correct dept.

This particular person is known, and has been told several times by the owner not to enter.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 7:38 pm

snag wrote:I have to say that the idea of tyre spikes appeals to me. The thought of a poacher having to walk for hours through the dark and cold, and then having to recover his vehicle, has a certain sense of justice about it.

Heh,,,,,,, :lol:

I must say Snag,,,,,,,,, your an evil SOB,,,,, you think along the same sort of path.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Jun 2020, 12:55 am

Yes DJ if that dude is known and has been told to stay away but consistently returns then up here the farmers would deal with him personally and if that was unachievable then there would be other ways to capture him and his dogs, shooting a dog whilst it's owner is close to it is dangerous and this is my point with poachers ,you don't know that they are there and rarely see them so you presume the dog is on it's own , just because the dog has a collar doesn't mean it's owner is with it . I've shot dogs with collars way out west on properties that don't let people hunt or camp on yet these dogs were there possibly dumped or left behind on a poaching trip, these dogs had turned to killing calves to survive god knows how many times they had mated with the wild bitches resulting in a larger breed of wild dog
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jun 2020, 1:56 am

100_5595.JPG
100_5595.JPG (2.51 MiB) Viewed 3980 times
Ah yes GDB,

If I know the dog owner was anywhere nearby I wouldn't shoot it,,,,,,,,,,, but,,,,, if the dog crosses my sight and the owner isn't around I will shoot it.
Me being on that property is at the express wish of the property owner, and have been given the task of ,,,,,,

a) shooting dogs be it dingo, dingo cross or any other dog/s found on that property.
b) creating a safe/r environment for his sheep
c) reduce the overall numbers of feral pigs
d) be mindful and watchful of all other aspects of the property and rectify or report any problems.

Since taking this on, I have shot both dogs and pigs to the extent that it has now been just on 100 days since the last sheep were killed or mauled.
Prior to me shooting this property there were killings / maulings at least every 2nd night.
And the owner and myself are working on ways of effectively and drastically reducing the feral pigs.

In the case of the poacher that has been told several times to keep out,,, if I find his dog wandering unattended or attacking sheep it will get shot.
I know that you are well aware of the legal situation and,, the land owners right to kill any dog wandering at large or attacking sheep on his property.
But,,,,,,,, for those other/s that may think I should not shoot such a dog I would suggest they should aquaint themselves with both the law,,,, and how things are dealt with on farming properties outside of capitol cities.

And yes,,, I agree with you 110% about cross breeding that creates even bigger and tougher feral dogs.
I'll leave this pic here now as a testimonial to that.
The last dog I shot on this property. Come daylight I couldn't find it in the grass and bushes, but the property owner found it 3 days later.
When lasered from where I shot, it turned out to be 393 meters.
And again, for those that think they are cute little puppy dogs,,,,, check out the teeth on this killing machine.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Jun 2020, 8:52 am

Yes DJ any dog is fair game be it domestic or wild if it becomes a problem to the farmer and his animals and if proven who the owner is they are liable for any damages or dead animals the dog causes and this can become costly for the dog owner. looks like your doing what the farmer has required of you ' that's a good set of butcher knives on that bloke probably seen a few mutton legs in their time, with that size and teeth like that you can see how they are such successful killers they don't need packs of them just one or two can become devastating to a small herd of animals. keep it up mate every one down makes a difference to a farmer and his stock
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pudlux » 19 Jun 2020, 8:35 pm

Good work DJ. Where l hunt here in NE VIC, it doesn't matter if the dog is wearing a designer collar or coat. If it ain't supposed to be there, it is fair game. Can't see a poacher coming in to complain.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:40 am

It’s sad that poachers are careless and selfish enough to place their own dogs in so much danger
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 20 Jun 2020, 7:43 pm

It's funny hey , you get caught in a shop with nothing after closing you could get jail or fined but if you get caught after closing on a private property you get a reprimand or a small fine for trespassing at most no wonder people keep doing it
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control