What's the longest distance anyone's called a fox in ??

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

What's the longest distance anyone's called a fox in ??

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 12:07 pm

A couple nights ago I went to a place that reckoned he had feral dogs running riot.
Maybe,,,,,,,, I didn't see any evidence that night, but there were sign of fox activity in the loose sand.
I set up and started the usual scanning, waiting, scanning etc.
About an hour later I saw what could have been a domestic dog, fox, or feral dog/dingo way off in the distance,,,,

I watched and observed the way it behaved and in particular the way it walked.
Aha,,,,,,,, Fox, I decided

I got my old button whistle (a genuine relic from 1960) and holding it between my lips, I gave it a couple blows.
To my surprise (it musta been hungry) it veered off sharply from the direction it had been travelling,,,,, and almost ran,, straight toward me.
There were quite a few large trees with low hanging branches out there and several times it disappeared from sight.

I just kept scanning and I kept picking it up as it did some zig zags through the trees.
It came right in to just over 30 meters when I gave it little lead pill.

I was amazed at how far it came from where I first spotted its movement.
Around about 700 meters.
It was a calm night, but it's hearing must have been bloody good, cos I wasn't blowing that whistle very loud at all.

It's the first time I've ever been able to actually see just how far out it was to start with,, and know how far it came in.
Usually they just suddenly emerge from the bushes,,,, and you have no idea how far they've come chasing the whistle.

It turned out to be a vixen, so she won't be breeding again ever.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: What's the longest distance anyone's called a fox in ??

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2020, 12:38 pm

Yeh, the last one that I got a week or so ago was first spotted at about 450 yards. But I had been using the button whistle for about 10 minutes. Who knows how far it traveled. I was pretty surprised.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 12 Jul 2020, 9:59 am

I have had them come running in from over 500 metres a way. They’re good nights when that happens. I have also had them completely ignore calls as well. Which is what inspired me to move into nightvision equipment. If the fox wont come to me, I’ll just have to go to it.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 12 Jul 2020, 10:02 am

About 2km
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 12 Jul 2020, 12:43 pm

Probably about 400mts, I was using the old Andre Georgescu whistle.
It's a fairly large tenterfield style which i enlarged the bottom hole
It works well and is very loud.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jul 2020, 5:39 pm

Once when I was at Cunnamulla I got a fox that came from Toowoomba but he caught my scent when he circled round behind me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jul 2020, 7:58 pm

Over 15,000 km ... All the way from England, toot it a bit over 149 years to get to me :thumbsup:

Sometimes I wonder just how far they come in from, especially when you spend 15 minutes in one spot and suddenly one appears.

In the open country I've spotted them out around 500 meters and they've made their way in.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 13 Jul 2020, 8:41 am

700ish metres here as well, Tenterfield whistle, sucker was on the run from us when spotlighting, high tailing it, then did a complete about face to start running into the whistle, came within 300m before getting suss again, at that point it ate 270 for dinner and ceased moving.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 13 Jul 2020, 9:00 am

a couple of years ago l was asked to eradicate a rabbit plague, or try to thin them down a bit
so every night, or second night l was in my spot shooting rabbits under spotlight at all sorts of distances
l could see to just over 400m, and was shooting on average up to 70 rabbits a night that were not picked up
after a week l noticed that l could see foxes at the edge of my light that seemed to come to the shooting knowing there was a feed for them
l did shoot a few but not as many as l saw, l found the experience very funny calling foxes for dinner with my rifle
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Jul 2020, 12:57 pm

:clap: :lol: :lol: Yep " You get the prize of the month. :thumbsup:

The furthest I called, spotted and shot a fox was about 900 yds. I was sitting in ambush in rocky granite country out west after a black feral dog that had been tearing into the sheep and not much luck. Spotted a fox sitting, sunning himself on a flat granite rock about 900 yds. away. The only problem was, I was in Qld and he was in NSW (up near the head of the Clarence River) anyway I decided to give it a go. Felt pretty confident with the No.4 303 so steadied, control breathing and slowly squeezed one off; nothing happened, lowered rifle and waited. Suddenly a spurt of dirt shot up about 50yds short and the fox, after a while fox lurched backwards and fell over, dead.
I got fox with a ricochet!
It took me 14 days to get to retrieve it; had to self isolate 'cause of Covid 19!.. 8-)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2020, 6:32 pm

I shot a pig at st george same thing , arrow bounced off the dirt and up under the armpit into the heart
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Jul 2020, 9:20 pm

RoginaJack wrote::clap: :lol: :lol: Yep " You get the prize of the month. :thumbsup:

The furthest I called, spotted and shot a fox was about 900 yds. I was sitting in ambush in rocky granite country out west after a black feral dog that had been tearing into the sheep and not much luck. Spotted a fox sitting, sunning himself on a flat granite rock about 900 yds. away. The only problem was, I was in Qld and he was in NSW (up near the head of the Clarence River) anyway I decided to give it a go. Felt pretty confident with the No.4 303 so steadied, control breathing and slowly squeezed one off; nothing happened, lowered rifle and waited. Suddenly a spurt of dirt shot up about 50yds short and the fox, after a while fox lurched backwards and fell over, dead.
I got fox with a ricochet!
It took me 14 days to get to retrieve it; had to self isolate 'cause of Covid 19!.. 8-)

well done RoginaJack :thumbsup: :lol:

rereading my post it sounds like l was saying l shot to over 400m but my meaning was that is how far l could see in the light :wtf:
anyway it sounded good :lol:

do l still get the prize of the month :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control