Trip report

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Trip report

Post by Ferrisweil » 17 Jun 2020, 8:28 pm

Well lads..... Had what you would refer to as a PB weekend with a few mates. Will be comparing every other trip to this one for a long time.
71 pigs, yup 71 confirmed dead pigs for the weekend, and we were even been rained out for Sunday.
I’ve not ever had a trip like this on foot. (Done some chopper work but that’s different)
Every single section of scrub we walked had pigs, and lots of them. There was one clump of trees the size of two footy fields that we walked 6 times and got half a dozen every lap in a 2hr period.
Then at night we worked the feedlot at this property and thermal-ed and NV’ed for pigs coming in every 30mins. Was insane and the property owner, who was with us the whole time was having a hoot watching it unfold in front of him. Good feeling when the lads are on song in front of the owner.
It’s funny cos this place hasnt produced for the last 18 months. Chewed through the 00SG, 308 and 6.5 but so worth it.
One boat I dropped had mud on his flanks about 2-3” thick. There were two pellets stuck in the mud. Hadn’t even got through... Cool stuff.
p.s. Die Judicii it was about an hour from you mate. Plenty around right now
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Trip report

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 8:57 pm

I wondered where you had got to,,,,,, now we know.
You musta had a ball.

The numbers are starting to increase again here too,,,,,, specially as some of the croppers are starting seeding now.
Saw a mob of 20 odd this evening but never let loose one single shot.
I'm devising a plan and a way to getting a lot more out of each mob.
This should come to fruition in the next couple of weeks.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 17 Jun 2020, 9:19 pm

Yeah mate. Haven’t been on here a lot. Been spending more time in the field. I’ve picked up 3 new properties recently. Two of them are ridiculously close to Brisbane...
It’s great out your way at the moment. There’s fresh sorghum stubble on one property and the neighbors are all putting wheat in.... pig numbers are crazy right now. Might have to organise a chopper....Giddy up....
What’s this “plan” you’ve got? Big ass trap?
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Jun 2020, 9:40 pm

well done Ferrisweil :clap: :clap: :clap: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 10:59 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:What’s this “plan” you’ve got? Big ass trap?

Don't tell anyone,,,,,, it's a trade secret.

Seeing as this is the Granite Belt,,, and a lot of sorgum, wheat, and barley is grown,,, I have devised a very cunning plan.
With the front end loader I'm gonna make two rows of granite boulders just wide enough apart that pigs can walk through.

Then,,,,,,,, I'll empty a couple bags of sorgum or wheat down the middle of the rows of boulders.

Then I'll spread pepper over the grain.

The pigs come and start walking through and eating the grain.
Then the pepper gets up their noses and makes them sneeze.

When they sneeze they'll whack their heads on the boulders, and knock em selves unconscious.

Thats when I move in and truss em all up,,,,,,, take pics,,,,,,,,, and show all you blokes. :thumbsup: :friends:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 18 Jun 2020, 6:32 am

Hilarious. You might even catch a road runner as well lol
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2020, 11:10 am

Great work. Hopefully u have scared away a few of the survivors in my direction. Not seen a single pig in the last two nights Having a very dry run. Absolutely nothing is venturing out in the open paddocks. I might try to slowly work my way into the wind thru thick scrub with my dog tonight. For the moment it’s all I can think of
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2020, 11:15 am

My dog is on my bed basking in the winter sun. I’m about to have some hot cup a soup. Then I might have a bowl of special k. These are the three most exciting things that have occurred on this hunt. Wow. It’s all happening here
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 18 Jun 2020, 12:00 pm

Tough going huh BLR. You’re out near where I go aren’t ya? So many pigs out that way right now!
Is there much crop around?
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2020, 12:46 pm

Chick peas are planted but in the dark I could not see sprouting yet I was expecting to see pigs rooting up the peas But the the pea paddock s are miles from good cover so not sure what’s going on. Wheat is everywhere but only a few Roos on it Maybe the choppers have been actively shooting I’m a fair bit south of where u go ....it’s definitely different here. Things have changed big time. A few moths ago same thing there was no pigs but summertime and before I was cleaning up
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Jun 2020, 1:10 pm

Well done all of you a dead feral is a good one :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control