School me on night/thermal scopes

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: School me on night/thermal scopes

Post by Ferrisweil » 24 Jun 2020, 9:25 pm

Thanks Mate. Interesting
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by smithy » 28 Jun 2020, 12:38 am

Ferrisweil wrote:Hey mate. Like BLR, my torches gather dust these day.. I run a Pulsar Trail XP50LRF with a Helion XP28 spotter. All my mates are using thermal now, so I’ve used the Thermions, Accolades and Night-techs. See the pic below.
There’s so much info to divulge and my fingers hate typing this much. Why don’t you message me your mobile and I’d be happy to have a chat. Have spent many, many hours behind thermals these days and happy to share info. As we speak, I’m about to go and try out the new Pard SA35 and 50 tonight...

Hey mate, just wondering how the Night-techs ran in comparison with the pulsar thermals? I’ve had a look through the MS-30 & 42 but not any pulsars. Are the physical sizes of the viewfinder screens bigger on the thermion and trail?
Cheers, Mike
smithy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 28 Jun 2020, 12:25 pm

Mike. The Pulsar XP’s will always look better because they run a better core compared to the Night-tech (640 res vs 348)
The XP range is a very crisp image, especially at distance and you tend to get less pixelation. The screen sizes are similar in most brands of the thermal scopes but the physical size of the entire scope is where the Pards and NT’s have the advantage.They are so much smaller but you get less battery life. The Pulsars can run for 8 or 16hrs depending on which battery you go with. I have also found that the Pard can run longer than the Night-tech but this isn’t an issue with a few spare batteries.
Another diff you need to be aware of is the eye relief and this will make a difference depending on what calibre you’re putting it on. The Trails have a good eye relief and I ran a 308 and 6.5 on it. The Thermion isn’t quite as good and is similar to the Pard and NT.
If you’ve any more questions mate send me a message through the forum with your mobile. Happy to have a yarn....
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brinny » 28 Jun 2020, 12:50 pm

smithy wrote:
Ferrisweil wrote:Hey mate. Like BLR, my torches gather dust these day.. I run a Pulsar Trail XP50LRF with a Helion XP28 spotter. All my mates are using thermal now, so I’ve used the Thermions, Accolades and Night-techs. See the pic below.
There’s so much info to divulge and my fingers hate typing this much. Why don’t you message me your mobile and I’d be happy to have a chat. Have spent many, many hours behind thermals these days and happy to share info. As we speak, I’m about to go and try out the new Pard SA35 and 50 tonight...

Hey mate, just wondering how the Night-techs ran in comparison with the pulsar thermals? I’ve had a look through the MS-30 & 42 but not any pulsars. Are the physical sizes of the viewfinder screens bigger on the thermion and trail?
Cheers, Mike

I know a bloke that’s running a night tech ms 42... he was telling me he is only getting an hour or so out of his batteries... he is using rechargeable though...
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tilb004 » 29 Jun 2020, 6:05 pm

Hey Vicko,
I've got the night tech thermal monocular and the pard 007 with bigger ir on it .
The set up works good with detecting foxes with the thermal then getting night vision on to it .
I can identify foxes out to 350 m with pard on the back of my nightforce shv 4-14 ffp scope . The pard gives good vision for a budget nv, and would be happy with it but the poi shift is too much .
I've spent hours setting it up right thanks to guys advice on this forum but still 1 1/2 in different.
Some guys never have a problem.

I am also looking at other nv , sightmark wraith, Yukon stightline 470 , pulsar digex looks good to .
These are more in my price range .
Let's us know which way you go .

Tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vicko » 29 Jun 2020, 6:51 pm

Thanks Tilbs. Can you elaborate on the poi shift issue for me? I see plenty of references to it but I’m not exactly sure what it is.

I do like the idea of the nv007 and being able to switch from scope to traditional scope depending on what I’m chasing.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tilb004 » 29 Jun 2020, 10:20 pm

Vicko wrote:Thanks Tilbs. Can you elaborate on the poi shift issue for me? I see plenty of references to it but I’m not exactly sure what it is.

I do like the idea of the nv007 and being able to switch from scope to traditional scope depending on what I’m chasing.

Hi vicko

The problem I have had is I zero my 22-250 at 200 m . Which means at 50m its bang on target, at 100 m its 30mm high at 150m it's about 40mm high etc .
When I clip the pard on the back of the scope I aim at the 100m target and it shoots 1 1/2 to the right and lower than 30 mm.
Hope I've explained that ok .
Some people it's spot for but not for me .
If you join night vision uk forum there's about 6 pages of people having the same problem.
I'm looking at the wraith or something similar .
I honestly wish it did work cos for the money it's a great unit but I just can't get it to work .

Best of luck on you hunt for nv

Tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vicko » 30 Jun 2020, 10:32 am

Seems odd that so many people are having the issue then.. I might jump on that forum you mentioned and check it out more.
Is it as simple as the mount not being fully square and the parallax needing adjustment?
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by smithy » 30 Jun 2020, 7:44 pm

Thanks for the info Ferris, sent you a PM :) Hadn’t heard of the Pards before, interested to find out a bit more about them and how they compare to the Night-Tech thermals - on a video I saw the Pards were shutterless and didn’t have the Pulsar frame pausing thing happening to recalibrate the screen...

Does anyone know much about these SAIM thermal scopes sold in the UK? Are they simply a rebranded Night-Tech Mini Sight? They look awfully similar... https://www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/ ... -1-6654000
smithy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tilb004 » 01 Jul 2020, 11:22 am

Vicko wrote:Seems odd that so many people are having the issue then.. I might jump on that forum you mentioned and check it out more.
Is it as simple as the mount not being fully square and the parallax needing adjustment?

I've mounted it like marksman said , got calipers on it to measure tolerances etc .
People keep telling me it only takes pic of your scopes reticle but that's not the case for me .
There will be a cheap pard going soon .
When I get my tax return I'll be looking at the wraith or something similar in price .
:)
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tilb004 » 01 Jul 2020, 11:25 am

Vicko wrote:Seems odd that so many people are having the issue then.. I might jump on that forum you mentioned and check it out more.

I've mounted it like marksman said , got calipers on it to measure tolerances etc .
People keep telling me it only takes pic of your scopes reticle but that's not the case for me .
When I get my tax return I'll be looking at the wraith or something similar in price .
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jul 2020, 12:09 pm

Shoot only monster boars at 50 metres. Poi problem solved ....there ain’t nothin I can’t fix. I could be prime minister of Australia....I just gotta convince the population that it’s ok me for take a week off for thermal hunting every month
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jul 2020, 9:12 pm

Tilb004 wrote:

Could it be that During the mounting process Or maybe just the actual weight of the pard sitting on the very end of the scope, shift the scope body or internals somehow - moving poi?
I know a simple sunshade screwed on to one of my scopes ended up moving my poi and I put that down to how tight I did up the sun shade...indicating a body flex of the scope.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Tilb004 » 02 Jul 2020, 8:19 am

TassieTiger wrote:
Tilb004 wrote:

Could it be that During the mounting process Or maybe just the actual weight of the pard sitting on the very end of the scope, shift the scope body or internals somehow - moving poi?
I know a simple sunshade screwed on to one of my scopes ended up moving my poi and I put that down to how tight I did up the sun shade...indicating a body flex of the scope.

Cheers tassie

I'll look into that mate .

Tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 08 Jul 2020, 4:24 pm

Just joined here. Night vision is my thing, basically thermal. Interesting some of the comments here, worth listening to Brinny ;) He may or should recognize me when he looks next. Among other things I am contract shooter and have used thermal exclusively for about 10 years (some Gen 3 in special circumstances), but thermal will out perform everything else, so may be able to assist with some questions.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vicko » 08 Jul 2020, 5:58 pm

Further to the above - is there a lit of 'known' scopes that the Pard NV007 works well with?
I'm currently leaning towards that option and I have to get a new 'traditional' scope for daytime stuff anyway, so wanted to check first..
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Jul 2020, 10:09 pm

Vicko wrote:Further to the above - is there a lit of 'known' scopes that the Pard NV007 works well with?
I'm currently leaning towards that option and I have to get a new 'traditional' scope for daytime stuff anyway, so wanted to check first..

Yes there are. Optisan and Hawke are two brands that are recommended. People on this forum have also been happy with Bushnell scopes as well. You will also need a scope that has parallax adjustment. Side parallax adjustment is very much the preferred option. My Hawke scope has the adjustment on the front objective lens. I fitted a throw down lever to make adjustments easier. It works okay as a temporary measure but would be a pain in the longer term. I have just bought a second hand Millet scope. I havent fitted it to my rifle yet. I have attached my NV007 to it and the image is pretty good. So hopefully it will work well in the field.

I have been very happy with my NV007 so far. I went out roo shooting on the weekend and head shot all of the roos I got. I had no issues with a changed point of impact with my Pard. Having said that, I am not doubting for a minute that people have had problems with theirs. I am pleased I havent had a problem so far. I intend to stick the new Millet scope onto my 204 and stick my Hawke onto either my 22 magnum or 17 HMR.

The Edge of The Outback youtube channel has a very good comparison review of the NV008 and NV007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5nSl1oTMs0

Nathan from that channel also did a livestream with Robbo from the Bolt Action Production Youtube channel recently. That is worth a look as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuSZDbCDeQ&t=994s
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vicko » 08 Jul 2020, 11:12 pm

Thanks Bruiser - I've had some good feedback from Nathan from Edge of Outback - and a great chat with Nathan from here too.
Everyone has been super generous with their time and info.

I'm keen on getting decent quality glass that I'll be able to switch between a couple of rifles, but don't want to waste the money and get one that the NV007 wont really work well through. I had been thinking along the Zeiss v4 - Vortex Razor HD LHT - Nightforce SHV, that sort of range. I have a Nikko Stirling 3-9 on my HMR that I could probably use with the 007 if I needed to. But I'd like some more magnification.
Maybe I'm better off with the 008 with the rangefinder that I can swap between rifles as well. Instead of an add on.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 10 Jul 2020, 11:48 pm

Vicko wrote:Thanks Bruiser - I've had some good feedback from Nathan from Edge of Outback - and a great chat with Nathan from here too.

I'm keen on getting decent quality glass that I'll be able to switch between a couple of rifles, but don't want to waste the money and get one that the NV007 wont really work well through. I had been thinking along the Zeiss v4 - Vortex Razor HD LHT - Nightforce SHV, that sort of range. I have a Nikko Stirling 3-9 on my HMR that I could probably use with the 007 if I needed to. But I'd like some more magnification.
Maybe I'm better off with the 008 with the rangefinder that I can swap between rifles as well. Instead of an add on.

I am not sure how the Zeiss, Vortex or Nightforce scopes would work. I would have a look at this Youtube channel from Russ Douglas 222. He seems quite knowledgeable about night vision as well. He has a few Pard videos.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RussDouglas222/videos

A friend of mine has just received his NV008 (not the rangefinder version), so we will be able to compare my 007 to his 008 in the field. I went with the 007 as I liked the ability to swap it from rifle to rifle. I also like that I can use it as an IR spotter off the rifle. The top of the wozzer option seems to be a thermal spotting monocular coupled with an IR scope. But you are talking about a minimum spend for a thermal of about $2500. Ouch.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 02 Aug 2020, 5:25 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
Vicko wrote:Thanks Bruiser - I've had some good feedback from Nathan from Edge of Outback - and a great chat with Nathan from here too.

I am not sure how the Zeiss, Vortex or Nightforce scopes would work. I would have a look at this Youtube channel from Russ Douglas 222. He seems quite knowledgeable about night vision as well. He has a few Pard videos.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RussDouglas222/videos

A friend of mine has just received his NV008 (not the rangefinder version), so we will be able to compare my 007 to his 008 in the field. I went with the 007 as I liked the ability to swap it from rifle to rifle. I also like that I can use it as an IR spotter off the rifle. The top of the wozzer option seems to be a thermal spotting monocular coupled with an IR scope. But you are talking about a minimum spend for a thermal of about $2500. Ouch.

Hey mate the thermal is IR, you are thinking either digital or image intensifying. Don't be fooled by the things people say about thermal and "NV". it is a poor option to thermal / thermal, I can assure you of that.
Being a West Australian you should give me a call one day.
As a comment above re the "calibration" freezes, the are some good thermals that don't do that, the calibrate continuously. :thumbsup:
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by madang55 » 21 Feb 2022, 6:13 pm

Love that post about the Pulsar FXQ50. There is a new model out now and I'm really looking meaningfully at it. Seems sensible if all the scopes you have on yr rifles are doing their job, why not a piece of kit like this? Especially with the "monocular" add-on. Retailing at about $6800 no matter where you look, still an expensive purchase, so you would really want it.
"What's that my precious? Yes I'm coming for you..............."
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 21 Feb 2022, 6:49 pm

Take a good look at the GSCI range of thermal gear.....might be a little dearer than the rest, but you pay for what you get, and they truly are a quality bit of gear.....I have a couple already....the S675 TI, and the S350 TI and have just placed an order for the new GSCI S6100 TI......Now that is an outstanding bit of gear.....
This will go on my 204, the S675 i have on the 204 will go on the 17 Hornet.....
The S350 i have on the Hornet will go on my 308......
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 21 Feb 2022, 8:21 pm

Yeah I will have a look. But...$$$...might get away with the attachment which I can use on all my current scopes. I do have an ATN 4K, Which is a cow in the bush but fine over open ground. 1 purchase to cover all. I have good scopes on my 204 and 308, the add-on for me and my budget might be all I can do. But, next Thursday powerball, win that and I'll buy one for everybody....maybe
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Feb 2022, 8:54 pm

Mandang. I know exactly what u mean by saying your nv scope is a cow in the Bush ...I remember the first time I shot a pig in the thick Bush at night / last light using thermal. Any conventional scope or nv scope would have been completely useless on black pigs amongst all those shadows .... but with the thermal they stood out like a white neon sign on a dark black night
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by scoot » 21 Feb 2022, 9:32 pm

Be aware unless all your scopes are exactly the same you will be up for adaptors to suit each one. $$$. Depending on the system they might not be quite as "clip on" and go as you would like.
I run a descent QD mount on my gsci and have the same pic rails on 3x rifles. I can swap it onto any rifle, select the pre saved profile and be accurate enough to shoot a fox @ 200m.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by niteowl » 21 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm

brinny wrote:Take a good look at the GSCI range of thermal gear.....might be a little dearer than the rest, but you pay for what you get, and they truly are a quality bit of gear.....I have a couple already....the S675 TI, and the S350 TI and have just placed an order for the new GSCI S6100 TI......Now that is an outstanding bit of gear.....
This will go on my 204, the S675 i have on the 204 will go on the 17 Hornet.....
The S350 i have on the Hornet will go on my 308......

:drinks: They certainly are something ;)
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control