Bush block

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Bush block

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jun 2020, 5:20 pm

Hi Folks
Iv been very keen to buy a bush block the last couple of years, 3-4 hours out of Sydney, 100-200 acres. Anyway iv convinced my brother in law to go halves with me and we're on the look out.
What's involved in owning a bush block?? Hidden fees or obligations??
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bush block

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2020, 5:30 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Hi Folks
Iv been very keen to buy a bush block the last couple of years, 3-4 hours out of Sydney, 100-200 acres. Anyway iv convinced my brother in law to go halves with me and we're on the look out.
What's involved in owning a bush block?? Hidden fees or obligations??

Bushfire control, like clearing firebreaks every season, but you could pay a local to do that for you.
Sometimes you are required to keep a decent road and/or bridges to allow access for firefighting vehicles.
There may be fencing requirements, either by law or under your insurance policy.
Eradication of pest animals and noxious plants is a responsibility of all landowners.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Jun 2020, 5:40 pm

Harrynsw wrote:What's involved in owning a bush block??

:lol: :lol: :lol: Having to deal with thieves and or poachers.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jun 2020, 5:58 pm

Ok, it's losing its appeal real quick...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2020, 6:09 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Ok, it's losing its appeal real quick...

It's a special kind of person that can tie up hundreds of thousands of dollars in a piece of land they only visit occasionally.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Jun 2020, 6:25 pm

Tax incentives--set it up well, Cat C, shoot there when ever you want to, get to know & network with neighbours, cheap/partially tax incentified meat,... :clap:

Go-cart/dirt bike/dirt circuit track...

...YAY....!!

Lets be friends Harry.. :) :lol: ....i wont just give you the negatives mate, & ill come help you dig the holes too... :)

Getting the appeal back at all... :unknown: ;)

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jun 2020, 6:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:

It's a special kind of person that can tie up hundreds of thousands of dollars in a piece of land they only visit occasionally.

True story
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jun 2020, 7:05 pm

Stix wrote:

Tax incentives--set it up well, Cat C, shoot there when ever you want to, get to know & network with neighbours, cheap/partially tax incentified meat,... :clap:

Go-cart/dirt bike/dirt circuit track...

...YAY....!!

Lets be friends Harry.. :) :lol: ....i wont just give you the negatives mate, & ill come help you dig the holes too... :)

Getting the appeal back at all... :unknown: ;)

Hahahaha possibly :D
Still on the look out...maybe
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jun 2020, 9:12 pm

Pay to go somewhere you don’t own. It will work out heaps cheaper , and it will be at least 10000 acres so u can hunt properly on it ....and you can go somewhere different every time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 20 Jun 2020, 9:29 pm

Bigga NSW just next to Wyangala Dam usually has the best value block 3-4hrs from sydney, plenty of goats around, fishing at the bottom of the hill. Expect to pay $400k for 200 acres or there about. Lifestyle get aways block around the 100 acres can be found around Lithgow/Hampton but expect to pay $450-500K
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Jun 2020, 9:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:

That is one of the most ridiculous comments I’ve read in a while...
If you think that “land” in the correct location, might not appreciate in value by more than the 2% interest loans that are currently available, then your sadly mistaken...it’s a solid investment in its own right, it offers tax breaks if set up properly, it can generate income from all manner of opportunities, it allows you to peruse your hobbies and the capital growth allows for additional investment.
Not to mention what Stix has posted up about cat C for primary producers, etc etc.

If you do it properly - with the correct advice and correct property, it should not cost you a single cent 8-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jun 2020, 9:38 pm

Blr243 wrote:Pay to go somewhere you don’t own. It will work out heaps cheaper , and it will be at least 10000 acres so u can hunt properly on it ....and you can go somewhere different every time

Yes this is true also
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jun 2020, 9:40 pm

Bill wrote:Bigga NSW just next to Wyangala Dam usually has the best value block 3-4hrs from sydney, plenty of goats around, fishing at the bottom of the hill. Expect to pay $400k for 200 acres or there about. Lifestyle get aways block around the 100 acres can be found around Lithgow/Hampton but expect to pay $450-500K

Out of my price range Bill, thanks for the suggestion anyway
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jun 2020, 9:41 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

If you think that “land” in the correct location, might not appreciate in value by more than the 2% interest loans that are currently available, then your sadly mistaken...it’s a solid investment in its own right, it offers tax breaks if set up properly, it can generate income from all manner of opportunities, it allows you to peruse your hobbies and the capital growth allows for additional investment.
Not to mention what Stix has posted up about cat C for primary producers, etc etc.

If you do it properly - with the correct advice and correct property, it should not cost you a single cent 8-)

This sounds good
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2020, 11:56 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I'm sure it will appreciate, but if it's not earning income to cover it's own mortgage payments it is a hell of a financial burden to carry for a few weeks per year of enjoyment, especially if you already have a home mortgage to service as well. If you have the cash in the bank then for sure putting into a block of land is a great use for it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Jun 2020, 12:26 am

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I'm sure it will appreciate, but if it's not earning income to cover it's own mortgage payments it is a hell of a financial burden to carry for a few weeks per year of enjoyment, especially if you already have a home mortgage to service as well. If you have the cash in the bank then for sure putting into a block of land is a great use for it.

Pm sent.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jun 2020, 12:30 am

If,,,,,,, and I stress IF,,, the ability to get your Cat C is or will be a driving factor consider this before you jump in.

Here in Qld, Cat C firearms in association with the property have to stay on the property.
The only time (legally) you can take them away from the property is to take it/them to a gunsmith, or a dealer for repair or sale.

So you will have a choice of,,,,,,,Leaving said Cat C firearms in your "log cabin/humpy" (frowned upon by the authorities) especially if your only gonna be in
attendance only once in a while.

Or,

Build a house on the block and live there permanently.

Whether the same sort of arrangement exists in NSW or not I have no idea, but it's something you should maybe check out.

I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 21 Jun 2020, 6:53 am

Die Judicii wrote:If,,,,,,, and I stress IF,,, the ability to get your Cat C is or will be a driving factor consider this before you jump in.

Here in Qld, Cat C firearms in association with the property have to stay on the property.
The only time (legally) you can take them away from the property is to take it/them to a gunsmith, or a dealer for repair or sale.

So you will have a choice of,,,,,,,Leaving said Cat C firearms in your "log cabin/humpy" (frowned upon by the authorities) especially if your only gonna be in
attendance only once in a while.

Or,

Build a house on the block and live there permanently.

Whether the same sort of arrangement exists in NSW or not I have no idea, but it's something you should maybe check out.

Cat C is definitely not the driving force. I want the land to camp and shoot.
Thanks Die Judicii
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 21 Jun 2020, 6:58 am

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

100% valid point. Hence why I'm going into a partnership, the full cost would be to much for me.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Jun 2020, 11:43 am

In NSW:
Pest weed species are about the only thing that it is "mandatory" to control.
Boundary fencing is a matter between you and your neighbours, even if you have public road frontage, unless you have livestock, it doesn't have to be fenced.
The exception being some rural subdivisions may have a covenant about fencing
The fire-break requirements depend on location and are not compulsory. There is a "10/50" rule that allows clearing of trees and vegetation for 10m around buildings and undergrowth for up to 50m from them. Again, it is not compulsory.
In NSW it can actually be against the Environmental Planning laws to clear land. Make sure you do your research before buying.
While ever you aren't creating a problem for your neighbours or local government there really is no great "burden" in owning a "bush" block in NSW.
Your biggest problem in your "3-4 hours" from Sydney, apart from cost, will be with "tree change" neighbours who love the "wildlife" and are anti-gun, good luck with your weekend shoots with that kind of neighbour. :allegedly:

On bright side, there may be some bargains to be had at the moment with numpties who didn't clear around their "weekender" that is now a pile of ashes. :sarcasm:
( Too soon???)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 21 Jun 2020, 11:49 am

Gamerancher wrote:In NSW:
Pest weed species are about the only thing that it is "mandatory" to control.
Boundary fencing is a matter between you and your neighbours, even if you have public road frontage, unless you have livestock, it doesn't have to be fenced.
The exception being some rural subdivisions may have a covenant about fencing
The fire-break requirements depend on location and are not compulsory. There is a "10/50" rule that allows clearing of trees and vegetation for 10m around buildings and undergrowth for up to 50m from them. Again, it is not compulsory.
In NSW it can actually be against the Environmental Planning laws to clear land. Make sure you do your research before buying.
While ever you aren't creating a problem for your neighbours or local government there really is no great "burden" in owning a "bush" block in NSW.
Your biggest problem in your "3-4 hours" from Sydney, apart from cost, will be with "tree change" neighbours who love the "wildlife" and are anti-gun, good luck with your weekend shoots with that kind of neighbour. :allegedly:

On bright side, there may be some bargains to be had at the moment with numpties who didn't clear around their "weekender" that is now a pile of ashes. :sarcasm:
( Too soon???)

Ok, good to know
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 21 Jun 2020, 1:00 pm

There is also a lot of bulls**t with council when buying some land some blocks have to be of a certain size to be able to build or live on like over 100 or 200 acres and some only let you stay weekends and your only allowed to build a shed of a certain size it can get frustating at times when only a 5klm difference in propertys but a heap of different rules in nsw
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 21 Jun 2020, 1:21 pm

AJB wrote:There is also a lot of bulls**t with council when buying some land some blocks have to be of a certain size to be able to build or live on like over 100 or 200 acres and some only let you stay weekends and your only allowed to build a shed of a certain size it can get frustating at times when only a 5klm difference in propertys but a heap of different rules in nsw

Thanks AJB
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2020, 1:36 pm

There are a handful of properties down this way that you can't build habitable dwellings on after they were burned out in '09. We looked at one but the price asked was way too high for land with that restriction on it.
The minimum size if you plan to build down this way is 100 acres. Lots of people bought
smaller blocks years ago that they planned to retire to, then that law changed and they can no longer build homes on them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AJB » 21 Jun 2020, 1:49 pm

Mudgee area seems to have some good sized blocks for reasonable prices the land is pretty good out that way
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2020, 1:56 pm

Hey Harry.

Im not knocking any negatives you get here--it is useful stuff & its what you asked for...but I cant stress to you enough, dont allow a tirade of negatives to steer you away...it could seem daunting, but it doesnt have to be with some basic research of your own (which obviously this is part of... :thumbsup: )

Just use them as abbasis for knowledge...but know that you can easy find out these things from Local Govt's when you enquire.

If you see a plot of land that you would like, ask the questions like 'can i keep a caravan on site permenantly, can you build a class 1 dwelling, class 10, (them being house or shed/maybe camping shelter (for inclement weather) respectively etc etc...

To my understanding, every local Govt has to submit a developement plan to the Minister every 4 years---this sets out the future vision of "The City", & the steps they intend to take to steer in that direction...
So for example, you can find out within this document, if a block of land you intend to purchase for camping & run a few cattle on as a small production farm, may currently let you clear scrub, but will likely introduce regs to prevent you from clearing it some time in the next few years.
You could also discover that the minimum size of blocks in an area is going to reduce in a few years but will only be allowed as "lifestyle blocks", or that will be able to be developed into a rural suburb in 10 yrs time...
So you'll get good future investment tips in this info also..--you might buy a block for $200k now, go camping then sell it for a huge profit as 3 small acreage house blocks in 15 yrs time...or NOT be able to do that...etc etc.... :thumbsup:

You will find that the estate agents will know a lot of these things too, --now some of these will be unscrupulous types that just want your dollar, but others will be honest with you too, they will respectively become apparent..!!
& there is nothing to stop you knocking on the door of neighbours too--not only will you get an impression of them as people, but you'll likely pick up the "real" story of how the local Govts planning is administered & what the future holds, not to mention maybe pick up some other ideas that can help you make a decision.

Personally, i think its a great idea to own land...& if affordability is an issue, you can even offset that by the simplest of things like penning in a few goats or sheep for food & share feed/vet/& legal slaughter costs with friends & family, & maybe add on a part cost there that covers some tax &/or holding expenses.

At the end of the day, having your own place to camp & bang away with fun sticks is good for the soul i rekon...!!

I still maintain ill come & help dig the holes mate...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2020, 2:46 pm

Stix wrote:So you'll get good future investment tips in this info also..--you might buy a block for $200k now, go camping then sell it for a huge profit as 3 small acreage house blocks in 15 yrs time...or NOT be able to do that...etc etc.... :thumbsup:

Stopping these investors is why the 100ac. building laws were brought in down here, to keep the area rural.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 21 Jun 2020, 2:49 pm

AJB: "There is also a lot of bulls**t with council when buying some land some blocks have to be of a certain size to be able to build or live on ..."

Rural councils, at least in Victoria, are concerned about the break up of viable farms into small blocks for the 'blocky set': pony, lambs, calf and pet children. There are also increasingly strict environmental regulations around septic systems so that ground water quality is maintained so that minimum block size has been increased somewhat. I'd hate to have to pay for installation of a new septic system, hence I maker damn sure my older septic system runs well.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2020, 3:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:So you'll get good future investment tips in this info also..--you might buy a block for $200k now, go camping then sell it for a huge profit as 3 small acreage house blocks in 15 yrs time...or NOT be able to do that...etc etc.... :thumbsup:

Stopping these investors is why the 100ac. building laws were brought in down here, to keep the area rural.

Yep... :thumbsup:

Im just pointing out that this info can be found out for future reference within the developement plan...

Because some places arent like that Blade...like as an example, the (for the purposes of this ill say) the very same dirt both you & i shot bunnys on as a kid...
Look at the Angas river --edit "Angus Creek" that runs through Strath--its hard to see on google earth, but where peoples bathroom windows open & touch each other in modern housing just in off the Paris creek road, in what is now the "suburb" of Strathalbyn, i have spent many a day shotgunning bunny's & also downed my first ever duck in flight over a nearby dam...
I shot all the land there as a kid both sides of the Paris creek road right up to the top of the hill, & still even dropped a duck off the same dam in my late 20's...
Its just an ocean of suburbia inhabited by entitled folks who kid themselves they live in the bush these days... :lol:

Different jurastictions will have differing future plans--some will ultimately want medium or low density housing in the near future, & others may be at an interim stage of ultimately inevitable developement like your area... :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2020, 3:25 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yep... :thumbsup:

Im just pointing out that this info can be found out for future reference within the developement plan...

Because some places arent like that Blade...like as an example, the (for the purposes of this ill say) the very same dirt both you & i shot bunnys on as a kid...
Look at the Angas river --edit "Angus Creek" that runs through Strath--its hard to see on google earth, but where peoples bathroom windows open & touch each other in modern housing just in off the Paris creek road, in what is now the "suburb" of Strathalbyn, i have spent many a day shotgunning bunny's & also downed my first ever duck in flight over a nearby dam...
I shot all the land there as a kid both sides of the Paris creek road right up to the top of the hill, & still even dropped a duck off the same dam in my late 20's...
Its just an ocean of suburbia inhabited by entitled folks who kid themselves they live in the bush these days... :lol:

Different jurastictions will have differing future plans--some will ultimately want medium or low density housing in the near future, & others may be at an interim stage of ultimately inevitable developement like your area... :)

That sucks about Strath :-(
I just had a look on GoogleEarth, looking like it'll be an outer suburb of Adelaide within 25 years.
I was primarily in the area immediately south and south-east of Mt Observation, on Tookayerta Farm in the south-west corner of Bull Creek Road and Alexandrina Road. Thankfully the sprawl hasn't headed down that way yet. I hunted the 6000-odd acres in that northern corner of the roads up to the river and the Mount, sheep country.
Then we moved to Red Creek where I hunted all the way to the Highway, but in a narrower strip, about 4000 acres of sheep pasture - every day, on foot - was paradise to a young bloke.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control