Bunny ebola in the US

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Bunny ebola in the US

Post by straightshooter » 07 Jul 2020, 7:47 am

I have just today read reports of fast spreading 'Bunny Ebola' rapidly spreading in the US.
It's description is similar to our Calici Virus which is a hemorrhagic virus not unlike Ebola.
I wonder if it is the same disease that has somehow spread overseas.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Bunny ebola in the US

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Jul 2020, 2:24 pm

G'day straightshooter,
yes it is the same disease, no it didn't "spread" overseas. You are aware the strain on calicivirus we use CAME from overseas? We actually use a Czech strain if the virus for rabbit control. Rabbit Haemorhagic Disease has been in North America for decades with outbreaks occurring quite regularly, a non-pathologic form of the disease has been around for millennia, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 07 Jul 2020, 6:03 pm

Does the US have the same rabbit as us?
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Jul 2020, 6:12 pm

my relo's in the us shoot a lot of rabbits but never eat them because of rabies they tell me but its good bait for the coyotes
shows how lucky we are to only have a few diseases that stop us having a feed of rabbit
https://www.sciencealert.com/a-deadly-r ... western-us
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 08 Jul 2020, 9:37 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day straightshooter,
yes it is the same disease, no it didn't "spread" overseas. You are aware the strain on calicivirus we use CAME from overseas? We actually use a Czech strain if the virus for rabbit control. Rabbit Haemorhagic Disease has been in North America for decades with outbreaks occurring quite regularly, a non-pathologic form of the disease has been around for millennia, Cheers

My understanding was that our virus was the result of a selective breeding process to optimise the virus for both the Australian climate and the readily available vectors for propagating the virus to only our species of wild rabbit.
I was unaware that the parent virus was endemic elsewhere in the world.
It is a somewhat strange parallel that our rabbit virus emanated from a selective breeding programme by "escaping" much as some credible sources are suggesting it is a similar occurrence in Wuhan.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jul 2020, 12:13 pm

There’s a strain decimating pet / show rabbits in north tassie...
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.the ... 6df29a3afb
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control