Well,,,,,,, it had to come, THE CAT PAGES.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Well,,,,,,, it had to come, THE CAT PAGES.

Post by IlovemyLE » 09 Dec 2020, 4:29 pm

I've nailed three moggies and two dogs in the Wombat S.F. in the last three months. Had one snot abusing me saying I shouldn't kill them. There are still goats there, but the trailbike riders have spooked the crap out of them.
IlovemyLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Dec 2020, 7:07 pm

Dogs, that surprises me. Runaways or dumped I guess?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 09 Dec 2020, 8:39 pm

IlovemyLE wrote:I've nailed three moggies and two dogs in the Wombat S.F. in the last three months. Had one snot abusing me saying I shouldn't kill them. There are still goats there, but the trailbike riders have spooked the crap out of them.

I was in the middle of nowhere on a pastoral lease once, me and three others who had permission to be there, no one else was, mid way through knocking off some pests and hey presto over the sand dune comes a land cruiser full of city slickers armed with a video camera (yes back in those days) they charged straight at us and before we got to utter a word like "wtf are you d**kheads even on this property for?" they were screeching that we put down our firearms and they were sat phoning the police because we almost shot them....

firstly we never "almost shot them" secondly, its illegal to hand a gun to an unlicensed stranger. thirdly f*** them theyre trespassing..

after we tuned them in that we were instead reporting them for trespass and property damage and whatever else might have happened due to them illegally entering someone else's property,

point is, be careful hunting in areas where morons exist. whether theyre meant to be there or not.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Dec 2020, 12:26 am

Ziege wrote:
IlovemyLE wrote:I've nailed three moggies and two dogs in the Wombat S.F. in the last three months. Had one snot abusing me saying I shouldn't kill them. There are still goats there, but the trailbike riders have spooked the crap out of them.

I was in the middle of nowhere on a pastoral lease once, me and three others who had permission to be there, no one else was, mid way through knocking off some pests and hey presto over the sand dune comes a land cruiser full of city slickers armed with a video camera (yes back in those days) they charged straight at us and before we got to utter a word like "wtf are you d**kheads even on this property for?" they were screeching that we put down our firearms and they were sat phoning the police because we almost shot them....

firstly we never "almost shot them" secondly, its illegal to hand a gun to an unlicensed stranger. thirdly f*** them theyre trespassing..

after we tuned them in that we were instead reporting them for trespass and property damage and whatever else might have happened due to them illegally entering someone else's property,

point is, be careful hunting in areas where morons exist. whether theyre meant to be there or not.

Hey Presto,,,,,,,,,,, :drinks: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by CommunistPigeon » 20 Dec 2020, 6:42 am

Ricochet wrote:

Bloody hell... Interesting how the cat was playing possum when the deer left it alone for a moment and then the deer was like...I see you breathing, here's some more...
I wonder if the cat did something stupid or if the deer just attacked?

I doubt it would just attack since from what I've heard they are fairly jumpy creatures. I reckon the cat got cocky and attacked it.
CommunistPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tiger650 » 20 Dec 2020, 11:47 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-20/ ... y/13001868

Cats need culling and some folk need sterilising.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2020, 4:26 am

Not the greatest result. But "Rambo style". You gotta be joking".
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Dec 2020, 12:39 pm

C'mon OLDBLOKE you surely can't be serious! This is the worst outcome possible, surely the Contractor was aware that the method used was not getting the desired results but continued to carry on and maim and injure feral cats.
The Port of Newcastle also stated that " had engaged a fully-licenced and experienced external contractor to conduct the cull...." Now who's joking!
What an absolute FUBARB....
And we will all cop some flak out of this stuff up.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2020, 1:40 pm

RoginaJack wrote:C'mon OLDBLOKE you surely can't be serious! This is the worst outcome possible, surely the Contractor was aware that the method used was not getting the desired results but continued to carry on and maim and injure feral cats.
The Port of Newcastle also stated that " had engaged a fully-licenced and experienced external contractor to conduct the cull...." Now who's joking!
What an absolute FUBARB....
And we will all cop some flak out of this stuff up.

Sorry I wasn't angry enough for you. Agree, crap result.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Dec 2020, 3:46 pm

No Worries and all good. I've finished cleaning the Mistral...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Dec 2020, 4:10 pm

Couple of nights ago I was cruising on my quadbike and I heard a cat crying, real close., and it seemed not scared by the sound of my quad Ten metres away it sat behind a post but with a quarter of its body and head exposed looking in my direction. I had turned off my red lights and engine. I thought. Cat u are so dead. It didn’t give a damn .. it walked across the open patch of cattle yards in front of me. At night and looking thru the thermal scope it was carrying on around certain objects but I did not shoot in case it was important infrastructure eg troughs ...eventually I can see a mouse doing its best not to be found by the cat. The cat was doing an awful lot of listening trying to pin point the Mouses location so it could pounce The whole time I’m waiting for a safe shot opportunity ....eventually I took the shot at twenty metres and the cat lay still .....I have no idea what the mouse thought at the report of the rifle ....perhaps he’s still running. I kicked some dirt around the base of the cat to cover up in an attempt to make the photo more ethically presentable but the 50 grain v max from my new 22250 Did it’s job a bit too well
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 21 Dec 2020, 10:41 pm

''Rambo-style assault on colony'' yeah well it's stupid remarks like these that put downward pressure on gun owners, one idiot with a note book and a pencil with access to the media. if all this is true about the cats suffering as said then i would round up that so called ''Fully Licenced and experienced external shooter and see how experienced he really is because i can't believe an experienced shooter would leave so many maimed animals behind and not realise that there would be repercussions for leaving maimed animals to suffer, for one your reputation would be shot secondly you leave the shooting world and gun owners open to ridicule as with this case , you can bet your life the anti's will run with this till they get changes to potential culls in the future, ''Yep'' it only takes one person to not do things proper and it all goes to s#@t
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 23 Dec 2020, 8:22 am

"Experienced " shooters dont do what is alleged to have happened, especially if you are a real professional. Sometimes the only "experience" some people have is the number of times they bullsh*t about what they have done or can do.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MrClicky » 28 Dec 2020, 12:34 pm

Any tips on cat hunting or trapping? I know they're around but they are by far the hardest pest to catch.
MrClicky
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Mar 2021, 2:03 pm

One down, another few million to go
20210319_143303.jpg
20210319_143303.jpg (464.68 KiB) Viewed 12673 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Skinna » 20 Mar 2021, 10:13 am

MrClicky wrote:Any tips on cat hunting or trapping? I know they're around but they are by far the hardest pest to catch.

If you think they're hard to catch normally, you should try catch one after you light the fuse on the dozen little fire crackers you tied to its tail. :lol:

Use food to lure them, but just shoot the phuckers rather than try to catch them.
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2021, 11:11 am

MrClicky wrote:Any tips on cat hunting or trapping? I know they're around but they are by far the hardest pest to catch.

I have great successes with cage traps.
Keep your cage covered it in foliage to make it look and smell like a neat little hiding hole, that'llmake them feel safe, make an effort to avoid leaving your scent on or around the cage by minimising handling, wearing gloves ecc. Just use any old cat food, I've had good luck with both wet and dry food, dry food obviously requires less attention but wet gives off better odor. I even sprinkle a little tuna oil around for better scent.
Shoot the nasty critter while it's trapped.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Mar 2021, 2:34 pm

With all the rain, we've had the odd rat move into the ceiling. So, I set a rat trap and camera up outside in the yard near where I thought Rodney was climbing up to get in.
The tap bait as a slice of carrot (peeled) and a dash of crunchy peanut butter. I prefer the crunchy one as I use it in sty fries.
Well, surprise, the first visitor was a new feral cat, sniffed around the trap, pissed on the A/C unit for good measure and went back to licking the peanut butter from the trap. Something startled the cat and it set of the trap, jumped back, settled and commenced eating the peanut butter from the trap, left the carrot and just sainted off.
Has anyone tried peanut butter for feral cats?
PS. didn't sight Rodney de Rodent at all
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 28gunna » 17 Apr 2021, 5:03 pm

Love this page , my policy on moggies is they are feral if you can see them through the scope . Having said that I am a dab hand with a shottie too ..lol.
28gunna
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Squidder » 27 Apr 2021, 9:38 pm

If you're trapping we cover the cages in hessian and a raw chicken wing around head height is dynamite. We modify the hook traps so its the right height (grinder and blowtorch) or hang the wing on wire behind the plate if its a treadle trap.

Some cats just wont go in no matter what you do but tuna oil or commercial trapping scents will pull them in close.
Squidder
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Ben » 10 May 2021, 7:34 pm

A few cats taken about a month ago within a few 100 metres of each other.
Attachments
0FA7521A-78BA-45B3-919A-E2F88C322F37.jpeg
0FA7521A-78BA-45B3-919A-E2F88C322F37.jpeg (81.63 KiB) Viewed 12213 times
6F959E2E-5282-4F2B-8025-F1C2C65539F2.jpeg
6F959E2E-5282-4F2B-8025-F1C2C65539F2.jpeg (124.66 KiB) Viewed 12213 times
Ben
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Downunder » 29 Jun 2021, 2:40 pm

Fk feral’s..
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2021, 10:22 pm

Tiger650 wrote:
Cats need culling and some folk need sterilising.

Or; vice a versa,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: (just joshing)

But seriously,,,,,,, when the gene pool gets near to completely evaporated,,, they cull themselves do they not ?? :unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2021, 10:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:Couple of nights ago I was cruising on my quadbike and I heard a cat crying, real close., and it seemed not scared by the sound of my quad Ten metres away it sat behind a post but with a quarter of its body and head exposed looking in my direction. I had turned off my red lights and engine. I thought. Cat u are so dead. It didn’t give a damn .. it walked across the open patch of cattle yards in front of me. At night and looking thru the thermal scope it was carrying on around certain objects but I did not shoot in case it was important infrastructure eg troughs ...eventually I can see a mouse doing its best not to be found by the cat. The cat was doing an awful lot of listening trying to pin point the Mouses location so it could pounce The whole time I’m waiting for a safe shot opportunity ....eventually I took the shot at twenty metres and the cat lay still .....I have no idea what the mouse thought at the report of the rifle ....perhaps he’s still running. I kicked some dirt around the base of the cat to cover up in an attempt to make the photo more ethically presentable but the 50 grain v max from my new 22250 Did it’s job a bit too well

WTF ?????????????????????
You destroyed something that was about to help decimate the mouse plague ????? Shame on you. :lol:

Them thar 22/250 s are great are they not ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2021, 10:41 pm

RoginaJack wrote:With all the rain, we've had the odd rat move into the ceiling. So, I set a rat trap and camera up outside in the yard near where I thought Rodney was climbing up to get in.
The tap bait as a slice of carrot (peeled) and a dash of crunchy peanut butter. I prefer the crunchy one as I use it in sty fries.
Well, surprise, the first visitor was a new feral cat, sniffed around the trap, pissed on the A/C unit for good measure and went back to licking the peanut butter from the trap. Something startled the cat and it set of the trap, jumped back, settled and commenced eating the peanut butter from the trap, left the carrot and just sainted off.
Has anyone tried peanut butter for feral cats?
PS. didn't sight Rodney de Rodent at all

:lol: :lol: :lol: Out smarted by Rodney eh ????

Them mongrels can be dammmm cagey (pardon the pun)
I was amazed one night years ago when I saw a "Rodney" in a shed,,,,,,,,,,, and, having the 12 gauge on hand (due to another reason) I tracked "Rodney" till he went in behind an old cupboard, and finding it to be a dead end he just sat there.
With the torch mounted on the shottie I lined him up and squeezed the trigger,
I swear he knew what was coming (literally) because in the split second as I squeezed,,,, Rodney squealed,, and I heard it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jul 2021, 3:48 pm

I can imagine that when two feral cats run into each other at a waterhole they must bitch to each other about how they are really sick of eating mice during this mice plague , but they they have to keep on eating them because they have become so fat that they no longer have the stamina to catch birds
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jul 2021, 10:25 pm

Another one bites the dust.
Seeing how the toms weren't being fooled by the traps (atleast 2 that just wouldn't enter) , I stuck our female house cat in the trap and waited. 30 minutes and the first one came in, heart lung shot and it vanished, might find it tomorrow if it didn't go too far, Another half-hour and the second arrived, this time I put it right in the head from behind the neck.
Screenshot_20210714-215421_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210714-215421_Gallery.jpg (319.24 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Jul 2021, 10:42 pm

OOW,,,,,,,,
Congrats. Nice green lawn,,, nice sleek well fed cat,,, (neighbors cats make great hats) ,,,,,,, GOOD job well done. :lol: :thumbsup:

Some nice little native birds will now survive.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Jul 2021, 8:52 am

It was a solid cat tom, full of bites and covered in scars. He had a pretty big head and a massive solid neck, its tail was also surprisingly short given the cats size. Every time I saw that one it bolted, it won't be bolting again.

So I'm changing my suggestions for what to bait a cat trap with, the best bait to pit in a trap is a female cat :thumbsup:

Thanks, The lawn is looking from this time of year, normally it gets hit by frosts but we've only had 2 or 3 frosts this winter
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 17 Jul 2021, 3:50 pm

I am sure we all hate what feral cats can do.
But "live baiting" them can be classed as cruelty.

Just feed them up with fresh or cooked chook.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control