Well,,,,,,, it had to come, THE CAT PAGES.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Well,,,,,,, it had to come, THE CAT PAGES.

Post by AJB » 15 Aug 2020, 9:15 pm

:D :D nailed this ginger tom caught him sitting on top of chook pen sneaky bugger
Attachments
20200815_194648.jpg
20200815_194648.jpg (3.59 MiB) Viewed 14740 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 15 Aug 2020, 9:57 pm

I have personally taken out a couple of thousand feral cats. I dont hate cats, I hate what feral cats do.

Trapping takes out more than 5 times more feral cats than shooting does for the same effort.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Elmer » 15 Aug 2020, 11:59 pm

Yeah I see the occasional one but the gun is always in the bag or case and buried under equipment.
Last one I got was last October at 500plus yards, smacked him in the noggin.
Loved that shot.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Aug 2020, 5:16 pm

AJB wrote::D :D nailed this ginger tom caught him sitting on top of chook pen sneaky bugger

I was gonna say,,,,, "he's been in a good pen",,,,,,,,,, but seeing as he was sitting on top of the chook pen, I guess that explains his condition.
Well done,,,,,,,,,,,, "another one bites the dust,,,,, errrrrr bullet.
Only another 59 odd thousand to go. :clap: :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 19 Aug 2020, 12:50 am

Bloody hell... Interesting how the cat was playing possum when the deer left it alone for a moment and then the deer was like...I see you breathing, here's some more...
I wonder if the cat did something stupid or if the deer just attacked?
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 19 Aug 2020, 8:51 am

I get them on a regular basis on the mates farm. But they are bloody cunning buggers. Bit like foxes - as they get older they get harder to nail. There was a good write up in the Sporting Shooter magazine back in the 70’s with a photo of a pile of cats. The pile was about half the size of a VW. All taken in a night down Broken Hill way. Would have been a fun nights shooting.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 23 Aug 2020, 9:20 pm

Nailed one today. Big fat ginger Tom, ran under the woolshed, but not far enough under. 22 mag was waiting on the passenger seat of the ute for just such an occasion.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2020, 9:43 pm

Shootermick wrote:Nailed one today. Big fat ginger Tom, ran under the woolshed, but not far enough under. 22 mag was waiting on the passenger seat of the ute for just such an occasion.
Attachments
Good job.gif
Good job.gif (564.78 KiB) Viewed 14645 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Aug 2020, 10:57 pm

Shootermick wrote:Nailed one today. Big fat ginger Tom, ran under the woolshed, but not far enough under. 22 mag was waiting on the passenger seat of the ute for just such an occasion.

Good one Mick,,,,,,, :clap: :clap:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Oct 2020, 8:35 pm

I trapped and shot one the other week and shot one on the back verandah tonight.

Both were male tabby cats.

Feral cats are on the rise around my neck of the woods.
It's definitely time I started making the effort.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Skinna » 17 Oct 2020, 6:48 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I trapped and shot one the other week and shot one on the back verandah tonight.

What woods is that neck in...?
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Oct 2020, 7:02 pm

The Bremer River catchment basin, South Australia :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Oct 2020, 9:53 pm

Skinna wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I trapped and shot one the other week and shot one on the back verandah tonight.

What woods is that neck in...?

Congrats Mate,,,,,,,,,,
No pics ???? Oh yeah, I understand why,,,,,,,,,,, too many pixels.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Oct 2020, 9:54 pm

Sorry,,,,,, was meant for On One Wheel
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Oct 2020, 9:41 am

Die Judicii wrote:Sorry,,,,,, was meant for On One Wheel

Actually, I didn't bother taking a picture of either.
My new partner was kinda freaked out when she saw my hunting album so I've eased off on the photography.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Oct 2020, 11:20 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Sorry,,,,,, was meant for On One Wheel

Actually, I didn't bother taking a picture of either.
My new partner was kinda freaked out when she saw my hunting album so I've eased off on the photography.

Tell her you come as a package deal,,,,,, take it or leave it.
:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 24 Oct 2020, 5:26 pm

dear lord these people that are so out of touch with reality that some hunting pics bother them are just laaammmeee
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Oct 2020, 7:15 pm

Ziege wrote:dear lord these people that are so out of touch with reality that some hunting pics bother them are just laaammmeee

Pretty understandable I thought... most people out there haven't seen animals with their heads blown to pieces and they find it disturbing that we are happy enough to take a photo. You and I see a clean kill, good shot placement and fantastic ballistic performance, some people just go into shock.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 24 Oct 2020, 9:33 pm

Well Ziege i'm a little inclined to agree with you although i do respect other peoples views like not liking pic's of dead animals ''But'' there are many avenues on here to avoid looking at dead animal pic's, the posts are clearly marked ie ''Hunting Pests'' and so on and with saying that others should respect the views of the hunters putting pic's up of their final product of the hunt providing there is no other out and out mutilation of the animal other than what the shot has produced and on_one_wheel mate your partner has your nuts in a vice so take care not to upset her or she might tighten the vice a bit ''LOL'' nah mate they are well within their rights to not like their partner taking pic's of such and it's your job to keep the peace, but it's those other people that bang on about such pic's and want them banned from here and i say to them '' This is a shooting and hunting forum as well as a catch up with other shooters forum if you don't like what is posted ''pic's'' provided it is tactful then don't look at it , i'm sure the mods will point you in the right direction of the button to get away from that post or even one of the helpful ones on here will oblige in doing so
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Nov 2020, 11:10 pm

100_5798 (5).JPG
100_5798 (5).JPG (417.13 KiB) Viewed 14147 times
I nailed this one tonite on the run.
I was sitting on a dam in full camo waiting and hoping for a dog, when it walked out of the grass almost directly in front of me.
And it was only about 20 meters out.
I slowly, quietly closed the bolt successfully, but had to raise the butt of the rifle to get the angle.
As I did so the end of the recoil pad hooked into my shirt pocket.
At that slight sound and minute movement,, it swung its head around and stared directly at me.
If I continued it would have bolted,, but I froze still and hoped it would then eventually move off and allow me to finish lining it up.

It stared at me for what seemed like an awful long time,,,, then took off like greased lightning and was only a split second off disappearing into scrub when I
got the cross hairs on it and squeezed out a .223 ballistic tip.

Well,,,,,, it won't be killing birds tomorrow.
In one pic on my phone,,, it's tail looks like a raccoon's.

PS. THANKS MODS, THIS IS WHAT I GET WHEN RESIZED TO BE ABLE TO POST A PIC
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2020, 6:57 am

I use a photo shrinking app called COMPRESS It’s either free or 5 bucks and incredibly simple to use
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2020, 7:06 am

The mention of recoil pad catching on your shirt reminded me of the time up cape York ...there was a boar laying in the edge of a creek with quite a sturdy tree above him .. I planned to crawl into that tree and quietly manuvrre myself into position so I could jump out and land on top of him ..but there were some branches in the way and the boar was tucked under more than I thought. I was struggling to drop because I could land in front blocking his escape instead of on top like I wanted. But unfortunately in the process a folded topo map fell out of my pocket and landed on top of the boar ...I sat perched thinking oh no he’s going to run but he just thought it was a big leaf and stayed put .....but then he smelt the map and bolted putting my plan to an end. My mate was filming. It would have been a top video....bugger
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 09 Nov 2020, 9:17 pm

G'day,

I shot a cat this evening at 8:40 PM with my new .22 WMR using 30gr V-Max at about 75 yards on a property just half a mile away. I have the video, but no photos, to prove it. It came, at the run, out of a deep creek gully full of blackberries and gorse in response to a mouse squeak call on my Icotec caller. I shot it just left of centre through its chest as it sat wondering where the mouse was. It dropped and then flopped a bit for about 15 seconds. After that it lay there where I could see it while I tried another call for any foxes about. About 20 minutes later a healthy dog fox turned up and sat facing me very near the dead cat. I shot it through the chest and it dropped like a rock, but then something jumped up and took off up the steep hill flipping and flopping so I thought I'd only winged the fox. As it turned out the fox did drop dead and it was the 'dead' cat that took off up the hill. By the way it was behaving it was pretty crook. I had a good look for it around the paddock in deep grass. The thermal wasn't any use due to a huge number of hot basalt rocks littering the ground that all showed red in the viewer.

Jim.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 09 Nov 2020, 9:41 pm

I hate hot rocks in summer time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Nov 2020, 11:09 pm

Blr243 wrote:I hate hot rocks in summer time

Ditto,,,,, for termite mounds, termite infested logs, and stumps.
I even find that after a sunny day even the cut end of solid logs leech out heat.
Whenever I set up in a new area, it takes a while to memorize all of the above so they can be ignored later on during the night.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Nov 2020, 6:12 am

I was going to say ant nests as well. Surprising how much heat A group of those little buggers can put out . I know dogs are a few degrees hotter than people but I doubt anyone has ever tried to jam a thermometer in the gob of a termite
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Nov 2020, 6:59 pm

Blr243 wrote:I was going to say ant nests as well. Surprising how much heat A group of those little buggers can put out . I know dogs are a few degrees hotter than people but I doubt anyone has ever tried to jam a thermometer in the gob of a termite

Or up their Rse,,,,, :silent: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2020, 7:28 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 15 Nov 2020, 6:03 am

Thanks for posting the article. It seems we are doing some good by knocking off every moggy we see off its back porch. It concerns me that cats in state forests [Victoria] may only be shot by those employed by the Government whereas we can shoot any other pest species in areas of forest zoned for hunting. It makes no sense, but suggests a degree of 'rubber spine' in public servants perhaps scared of cat lovers who love their cats so much they let them roam to kill other animals and birds. Local councils seem to have a trap and return to owner policy which likely is a repetitive process as lax owners are likely to turn their cats loose again and again.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Nov 2020, 6:27 am

NTSOG wrote:Thanks for posting the article. It seems we are doing some good by knocking off every moggy we see off its back porch. It concerns me that cats in state forests [Victoria] may only be shot by those employed by the Government whereas we can shoot any other pest species in areas of forest zoned for hunting. It makes no sense, but suggests a degree of 'rubber spine' in public servants perhaps scared of cat lovers who love their cats so much they let them roam to kill other animals and birds. Local councils seem to have a trap and return to owner policy which likely is a repetitive process as lax owners are likely to turn their cats loose again and again.

Jim

Agree. It's nuts.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control